• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [APP] Android DSP (Equalizer) for Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, that is not possible.
This is a bug in the OS.
If I seem overbearing on this, its because you people don't seem to get the issue. IT IS A BUG IN THE OS. It affects every phone running 2.2. PERIOD.

As for you not hearing it, well, your "golden ear" must be more like tin, because its immediately apparent to me, and many others.
And no, the EQ doesn't fix the issue. Look, the stagefright media player (built in API in the OS that actually plays the music) doesn't properly play AAC+ files. There is no way for a DSP to magically add back in or fix the improper decoding. All the music player apps rely on the OS to actually play the files, therefor, they are all affected.
Slacker won't have this issue when streaming over WIFI, as it uses MP3s then.
MP3s playback is not broken. But Slacker (cacheing and cell streaming), Pandora, mspot, last.fm, etc all use AAC+

Let me re-iterate: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR YOUR 2.2 OS PHONE TO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

I don't really care if you can't hear it. I can, and I'm tired of this issue being mis-represented. Its not just applicable to "some phones", but to ALL.

Well... then you'd be WRONG. :) I'll just repeat myself for the hard of hearing ;) This is NOT AN ISSUE on all phones. Period. Mine works perfectly without the fix. Again, I am a professional musician who has worked at the top levels of the music business worldwide for many years (including recording and high-tech). Detecting ANY deviance no matter how small in recording or playback is what I do on a regular basis using stratospherically expensive equipment beyond any car or home stereo available. In other words, I professionally detect what the untrained ear is incapable of, and what 99.9% of people would never notice. What you describe is a blatantly obvious problem that simply does not exist on my phone.

No one said YOU don't have the problem, or that it doesn't exist for many people. You have not listened to every single unit, so you can not possibly declare every phone presents the problem. They don't. I am well aware of the issue with the change to Stagefright in 2.2. It has been documented that many phones don't present the issue, and the particular reason is a hot item that is being tracked down (whether hardware, kernal, baseband, software etc specifically or in combination cause the immunity). Some phones had a similar issue with 2.1, many more seem to with 2.2 and the change in the decoding process. Not all Droids are created equal... that's why some are completely stable clocked higher than others.

Chill and worry about your own phone. Mine works great. :cool:

Back to your regularly scheduled topic... Yay for the equalizer!

Upvote 0
Just.... wow.

Well... then you'd be WRONG. :) I'll just repeat myself for the hard of hearing ;) This is NOT AN ISSUE on all phones. Period. Mine works perfectly without the fix. Again, I am a professional musician who has worked at the top levels of the music business worldwide for many years (including recording and high-tech). Detecting ANY deviance no matter how small in recording or playback is what I do on a regular basis using stratospherically expensive equipment beyond any car or home stereo available. In other words, I professionally detect what the untrained ear is incapable of, and what 99.9% of people would never notice. What you describe is a blatantly obvious problem that simply does not exist on my phone.

No one said YOU don't have the problem, or that it doesn't exist for many people. You have not listened to every single unit, so you can not possibly declare every phone presents the problem. They don't. I am well aware of the issue with the change to Stagefright in 2.2. It has been documented that many phones don't present the issue, and the particular reason is a hot item that is being tracked down (whether hardware, kernal, baseband, software etc specifically or in combination cause the immunity). Some phones had a similar issue with 2.1, many more seem to with 2.2 and the change in the decoding process. Not all Droids are created equal... that's why some are completely stable clocked higher than others.

Upvote 0
uNF...

It's well known, documented, and accepted that AAC+ decoding is simply NOT WORKING on *any* Android 2.2.

You cannot convince us otherwise :) If you really think that streamed pandora et al. sound as good on 2.2 as they did on 2.0.1 or 2.1, then you are not paying attention to detail. I've yet to see one proven and documented case that AAC+ decoding works for some people using 2.2 and not for others.

The ability for one CPU/bus/memory combonation to run a faster clock rate than another has nothing to do with the software that is used to decode music... It is more related to the minor differences in the assembly processes. Just like there are variences in the horsepower output of engines in cars, there are variences in the maximum speed of a CPU, system bus, or memory in any system.

EDIT: It's also similar to the differences in the manufacturing of a guitar or an amplifier... Not all amplifiers that claim to be 100watts are EXACTLY 100watts... Some are 110, some are 90, etc... But a SOFTWARE effects generator is *always* going to generate the same signals given the same input and the same processing parameters.

Upvote 0
uNF...

It's well known, documented, and accepted that AAC+ decoding is simply NOT WORKING on *any* Android 2.2.

You cannot convince us otherwise :) If you really think that streamed pandora et al. sound as good on 2.2 as they did on 2.0.1 or 2.1, then you are not paying attention to detail. I've yet to see one proven and documented case that AAC+ decoding works for some people using 2.2 and not for others.

The ability for one CPU/bus/memory combonation to run a faster clock rate than another has nothing to do with the software that is used to decode music... It is more related to the minor differences in the assembly processes. Just like there are variences in the horsepower output of engines in cars, there are variences in the maximum speed of a CPU, system bus, or memory in any system.

EDIT: It's also similar to the differences in the manufacturing of a guitar or an amplifier... Not all amplifiers that claim to be 100watts are EXACTLY 100watts... Some are 110, some are 90, etc... But a SOFTWARE effects generator is *always* going to generate the same signals given the same input and the same processing parameters.

Since you are being more civil than the previous poster, I would like to point out that I don't feel any need to convince you of anything or to prove anything at all. I have read and tested all of the documentation you have. I have no specific explanation, but my phone simply does not present the issue. If I could pinpoint the exact reason it would fix your problem as well, but I'm quite content continuing to enjoy my Droid no matter how much you wring your hands about it. :)

If you and your less than mature cohort would like to join me in the studio, I can show you beyond any doubt that my particular phone presents no problems whatsoever in the decoding process for AAC+ files. My ear is not the issue, since I possibly worked on creating some of the music you are trying to stream, and am paid to hear details you would be unaware of and unable to hear without high end studio equipment and years of training and expertise. Just because you personally haven't seen/heard it proves nothing. I have read of many cases of phones not exhibiting the problem, but I can only vouch for mine. No matter how much I love the convenience of my Droid, it's hardly the same as cutting edge studio recording equipment.

*Off to enjoy flawlessly streaming Pandora with my mystical magical mighty non-AAC challenged Droid and its awesome DSP equalizer* :cool:

Upvote 0
*sigh* Here. Take one.
2798977279895.jpg

I vote that nobody with a post count of less than 100 be allowed to **** up a perfectly good thread. I mean, I see this crap all the time and I look at the post counts of some of these asshats and I gotta wonder if some of them weren't already banned for being a ****.

Anyhow, not to go screwing up your little pissing contest by getting all back on topic and stuff, but does anyone know where I can download the version #13 of this? -I expect it is the latest version that still has a slider for the reverb, like the pic fabulous posted. (Sliders are just... -better.) I didn't see a file list, just the change log.

BTW, this is working on UD 5.0, but I have not tested extensively for crackle, etc. I'll report back.

Upvote 0
Because post count is an excellent judge of character indeed... not sure which one of these alleged asshats decided to start thowing around vulgarity first *ahem*

But you're right, the discussion of aac+ is off topic, I am sorry.

I've considered installing the dsp, but I am reticent due to the various mediums I play back on and the need to constantly adjust (e.g. headphones vs. My truck stereo which is good vs. My jeep stereo which is barely passable...)

Does the current software support presets in an easy to access location? If not, it would be an awesome feature.

*sigh* Here. Take one.
2798977279895.jpg

I vote that nobody with a post count of less than 100 be allowed to **** up a perfectly good thread. I mean, I see this crap all the time and I look at the post counts of some of these asshats and I gotta wonder if some of them weren't already banned for being a ****.

Anyhow, not to go screwing up your little pissing contest by getting all back on topic and stuff, but does anyone know where I can download the version #13 of this? -I expect it is the latest version that still has a slider for the reverb, like the pic fabulous posted. (Sliders are just... -better.) I didn't see a file list, just the change log.

BTW, this is working on UD 5.0, but I have not tested extensively for crackle, etc. I'll report back.

Upvote 0
Because post count is an excellent judge of character indeed... not sure which one of these alleged asshats decided to start thowing around vulgarity first *ahem*

But you're right, the discussion of aac+ is off topic, I am sorry.
No, post count certainly isn't a judge of character, but then anyone gleening that from my statement is either simply sorely misunderstanding my point or a complete idiot.
My "allegation" that one or more of the members of low post count involved in the metephorical pissing contest is based upon their actions of ****ing up this thread. I might also add that my choice of "asshat" was indeed a bit of irony relating to a certain avatar. (Wooop...right over yer head...)
And FWIW, what you see as "throwing around vulgarity" I see as the extrodinary ability to tell it like it is. If I'm to be lumped into the "asshat" catagory by you, I hope that's not the reason. (I'm sure you'll let me know. I await with eager anticipation.:rolleyes:)
...BTW, those aren't chill pills, they're urinal cakes. (Will we be needing more, or are we all done?)

What's the likelihood this issue will be resolved in 2.2 with an update?

Upvote 0
Ok man, you win :) Though I find it relevant to point out that you yourself have done far more damage to the thread with your tirade than we could have done with a bit of o/t banter.

No, post count certainly isn't a judge of character, but then anyone gleening that from my statement is either simply sorely misunderstanding my point or a complete idiot.
My "allegation" that one or more of the members of low post count involved in the metephorical pissing contest is based upon their actions of ****ing up this thread. I might also add that my choice of "asshat" was indeed a bit of irony relating to a certain avatar. (Wooop...right over yer head...)
And FWIW, what you see as "throwing around vulgarity" I see as the extrodinary ability to tell it like it is. If I'm to be lumped into the "asshat" catagory by you, I hope that's not the reason. (I'm sure you'll let me know. I await with eager anticipation.:rolleyes:)
...BTW, those aren't chill pills, they're urinal cakes. (Will we be needing more, or are we all done?)

Upvote 0

Well, since I've been called out yet again....

Oh look. The widdle kitty thinks he's witty.

Dude, you must realize the irony of your OT rant? If you read the entire thread you would realize I wasn't the one that took us OT. I merely stated my particular Droid running FRG22 and this DSP doesn't present the problem previously mentioned. Referencing my profession was only to give credence to my expertise in the music and recording technology fields. I don't personally feel the need to endlessly post and chatter on forums just so foul mouthed kitties think I'm worthy of credibility.... and weak avatar jokes from someone with yours? Really? That and the potty jokes really make you sound like the responsible one with all of the answers. :rolleyes:

Back to topic now? I have the version from 8/2 but that predates version #13 you were looking for.

Upvote 0
The one that Maho linked to has a different file size than either of the ones I have downloaded. The first time I saw this thread was Aug 3, and I downloaded then, and then again downloaded it just now, and both of my files are larger than the one he linked to.

For posterity's sake, I think I may call the one I just downloaded v14, the one I got Aug 3 v13 and Maho's version v12.

I am going to contact him and see if he wouldn't mind maintaining different versions so we can test things out and keep a particular version. I'll even supply my paid Media Fire account for downloading if he needs extra bandwidth....

Upvote 0
Yes, it affects all other phones.
and no, its not possible for your car stereo to compensate. You just have shitty hearing :)

I have no idea how you can claim my car stereo isn't possible of increasing the sound quality in order to compensate for 2.2s degraded playback of the aac+. It's an aftermarket Pioneer head unit that allows me to change a lot of sound and equalizer attributes on any type of media and file format I put through it. So I guarantee, depending on how I have it configured, it's going to make the audio sound better or worse depending on how it's set up.

At this point, you're just being straight ignorant about the matter and acting like a general troll. Insulting people directly on here just totally ruined your credibility too, I'm afraid ;).

Upvote 0
I hate to ruin a good thread with my noobness but i must have this. I would like to install this on my Droid. I installed the 2.2 FRG01B from a couple of days ago but thats about the extent of what I have done to my phone. I need like baby step instructions on how to root my phone or install this or what. Please and Thanks.

Upvote 0
I hate to ruin a good thread with my noobness but i must have this. I would like to install this on my Droid. I installed the 2.2 FRG01B from a couple of days ago but thats about the extent of what I have done to my phone. I need like baby step instructions on how to root my phone or install this or what. Please and Thanks.

Hey google, check the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Lots of useful info:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/141116-guide-rooting-2-2-windows-linux.html

After you've gone through that, it will be a simple matter to install this DSP by just flashing the zip. You must root first though.

Upvote 0
Sadly, this makes no effect on BT transmitted sound. I wish it were otherwise....

I stand corrected. When I patched the files on FroYo stock 2.2 (FRG22) using the latest version (14? just downloaded yesterday from the main web site) I detected no difference in sound through my BT headphones.

However, I installed Smoked Glass ROM over FRG22, and since it has it already in there, I thought "Let's try again."

Oh. My. God.

My S9 HDs never sounded better. As a good sound test, I queued up a playlist consisting of:

• New Order - Confusion (Pump Panel (Re)mix) (Think the awesome pumping song in the intro to the first Blade movie, where Traci Lords takes that guy to the underground rave where the vampires are hanging out dancing, when the blood starts spraying)
  • Queensr

Upvote 0
Hey google, check the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Lots of useful info:
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/136508-guide-all-things-root-related.html

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/141116-guide-rooting-2-2-windows-linux.html

After you've gone through that, it will be a simple matter to install this DSP by just flashing the zip. You must root first though.

Alright, thanks MahoVader, but I'm still having some trouble.

I followed the link on rooting 2.2 on windows and I was able to replace my FRG01B with the FRG22 from the guide. I didn't have any errors and when I finished my phone had the little Ninja icon for Superuser Permission so I assume everything went alright and the phone is now rooted.

Then I copied over the dsp-signed.zip file, renamed it update.zip but when I try to install it it says installation aborted, then I just reboot the phone and it goes right back to where it was with no dsp installed. :( What am I doing wrong? Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Alright, thanks MahoVader, but I'm still having some trouble.

I followed the link on rooting 2.2 on windows and I was able to replace my FRG01B with the FRG22 from the guide. I didn't have any errors and when I finished my phone had the little Ninja icon for Superuser Permission so I assume everything went alright and the phone is now rooted.

Then I copied over the dsp-signed.zip file, renamed it update.zip but when I try to install it it says installation aborted, then I just reboot the phone and it goes right back to where it was with no dsp installed. :( What am I doing wrong? Thanks. :)

I'd try re-downloading the file and trying it again, just in case something didn't download properly.

Also, a really handy tool to have that makes installing stuff a breeze is ROM Manager by ClockworkMod. You might want to consider checking that out too.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones