• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery life - post update - strange but true

What are you talking about? A factory reset won't remove bloatware. If anything it will restore it.

With respect to battery problems, there have been issues with the JI6 update's modem. I suggest, flywatt, that you do what robo21 suggested.

It isn't the bloatware that's killing your battery. Android apps can sit in the background all day using next to no resources; that's how Android was constructed. The OS will kill apps on its own when it needs additional resources.

If you really want to get rid of bloatware, root the phone and get Titanium Backup. It can remove the bloatware.

Titanium Backup ? root - Android app on AppBrain

That is truly bizarre, short of comparing the phones side by side I am at a loss. Have you tried Samsung level 3 support or maybe a warranty exchange? Or could it be the battery is bad? Tmobile will help if so.

I appreciate the responses, I'll look into level 3 support. Never heard of it. I've considered getting the phone exchanged, but I just wonder how many fees T-mo will slap me with to do that. I know when I lost my Garmin Asus, they charged me $120 deductible to replace it. I was a bit supprised. I only payed $200 for the phone in the first place. Robbery.

I wasn't aware that the bloatware didn't affect the battery life significantly. Unfortunately, I have no luck with root and titanium. The phone appears to be rooted, and superuser is granted. I highlight an application to delete, and it says "deleted successfully", but it's still there. It's mind boggling.

Unfortunately, it's not a bad battery. I swapped the batteries with my girlfriend's vibrant and had the same results. Her vibrant seems to be operating optimally. Mine is a different story.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that the bloatware didn't affect the battery life significantly. Unfortunately, I have no luck with root and titanium. The phone appears to be rooted, and superuser is granted. I highlight an application to delete, and it says "deleted successfully", but it's still there. It's mind boggling.

Under Settings > About Phone > Battery Use you can see everything that's using the battery and the % of total use each item is taking. My top 3 are display (31%), cell standby (27%) and phone idle (19%). What are you seeing?

Also, using the new Task Manager, do you see any active applications running that are using CPU?

Upvote 0
Good morning everyone.

Since I did the reset, I've had to fiddle with all the notifications that kept turning my screen on, but I think I've cut them all down. I unplugged at 7am and it's gotten some moderate use. Batt is 86% (8:35am).

Use: Display 81%, Standby 8%, System 4%, Idle 4%, LauncherPro 2%, Android Core Apps (that must be new) 2%.

Upvote 0
Good morning everyone.

Since I did the reset, I've had to fiddle with all the notifications that kept turning my screen on, but I think I've cut them all down. I unplugged at 7am and it's gotten some moderate use. Batt is 86% (8:35am).

Use: Display 81%, Standby 8%, System 4%, Idle 4%, LauncherPro 2%, Android Core Apps (that must be new) 2%.

Are you using the lowest screen brightness setting? Since it's such a large portion of overall usage it makes sense to minimize it where possible. I also use wallpaper that's nearly all black.

Upvote 0
My battery seems to be getting better mileage since I performed a factory reset.

Fresh battery inserted approx. 7:30am - Battery level 85%. No phone calls but a little web surfing, music playing, picture/video viewing and a text. I have 3G enabled but no Wifi or GPS.

Display 47%, Call Standby 21%, Phone Idle 12%, Media Server 9%, Android System 4%, GPS Test 3%, Web 2%, gallery 2%.

I also noticed that the media scanner ran for less time after turning the phone on after I put in a fresh battery.

I am most happy with the fact that the music player now allows me to list music by artist. Prior to the factory reset (and also pre update) the music player always quit if I tried to list by artist.

I would definitely recommend a factory reset post update!

Upvote 0
Hi

i have brand new phone and some days bettary is good for whole day. but some days i dont know whats happening that bettary does not even last for 3 hours even the phone is idle and when i thouch the back side its too hot and temp shows like 53 celcius.

anybody to help me that what is running even my phone is idle and how can i close that application that running in background.

Thanks in advance for help

Samir

Upvote 0
I did the factory reset and I'm still getting abysmal battery life. Before this update, I loved this phone. No I am growing increasingly frustrated with it. I want to revert back to preupdate but have no idea how to do that. I made 2 phone calls and used the calculator twice and I just had to plug my charger back. This is ridiculous.

jree, here are the detailed instructions and links to the files to go back to "preupdate." xda-developers - View Single Post - Offical JI6 update - INFO thread

After you go back to JFD (preupdate) and do some testing, then I would recommend you try the 2 file Odin update (uses both .tar and .pit files). I've had great luck with that update with both battery, market, etc.

Let us know how the JFD affects your battery life. ;)

Reactions: jree
Upvote 0
I did the factory reset and I'm still getting abysmal battery life. Before this update, I loved this phone. No I am growing increasingly frustrated with it. I want to revert back to preupdate but have no idea how to do that. I made 2 phone calls and used the calculator twice and I just had to plug my charger back. This is ridiculous.

If I were you I'd really consider taking the phone to T-Mo and see if you can get a warranty exchange. You shouldn't have to sacrifice working GPS for decent battery life!

Upvote 0
im actually really shocked people get this good of battery usage. I drive for my job and from 6-4pm the phone never touches a charger, i usually get battery workings about 1pm. I hate it. One time i was getting warning at 11!

Im a heavy texter and in between those times i can send upward of 600+ texts. Random phone calls and MAYBE a tiny GPS usage. Now i carry a car charger and keep it on that while i drive to maintain my battery. Only thing i found that's worked for me.

Upvote 0

I saw you post earlier but wanted to respond but my battery was down to 9%.
T-mobile has a backorder on the phones for warranty exchanges so I am stuck waiting. I'm going to revert back before the update also.
I went on a field trip with my son Friday morning.
Took the phone off charger at 8am, by 9:30am I was down to 70%.
I sent off a few tweets and a few test messages.
We got to the Pumpkin farm at 11 am and I was down to 39%.
Okay I turned off everything just used it as a feature phone.
I took 6 pictures and I mean 6 pictures and the battery went down to 19% by 1pm.
I turned on my data services to check email around 4 pm and I was down to 9%.
At that point I just turned the phone off.
I couldn't even enjoy my phone or take a picture of the kids picking Pumpkins and the Hay ride.

Upvote 0
>- I have Some Questions for you all -<

Who among you who got the OTA Update;
Did your battery Stay the same or get worse?

Who among you who got the Update through Keis Mini;

Who among you that Did the update using Odin;

in My case I got the update through the OTA and My battery did not change any.

Just Curious to see.

Upvote 0

Update and Worse

N/a
N/A

Just Curious to see.

I was getting 11 to 12 hours of moderate to heavy use. now 3hrs

Upvote 0
Did the JI6 update using mini Kies. No change in battery usage after the update. I would rate my battery performance as good to very good. It uses about 3% when sitting idle overnight for 8 hours. With light use during the day I'm often over 50% at the end of the day. Heavy use (screen on a lot, GPS) will drain it fairly quickly, but I think that's normal.

Note, I am running pure stock. I've never rooted, so haven't done any lag fixes, flashed ROM's, etc. The only mods I've done were to some GPS settings, but those are now back to defaults as well. It would be interesting to see stats on whether poor battery performance is related to how much hacking has been done on the phone. However, as with GPS, battery use is complex, and there are so many variables it will be very difficult to find one fix for everyone. Suffice it to say JI6 alone does not appear to be a cause of severe battery drain.

Upvote 0
Why must people assume the it the end users fault for the battery woes. The issues is update. Take a look in T-Mobile own support forum. Its littered with the battery problems

You'd have to ask whoever is making that assumption.

How many Vibrants have been updated? Hundreds of thousands at least? How many are complaining on the various forums? What percentage does that represent of all the updated phones? If the update alone is the culprit why aren't all the updated phones showing the problem? It could be some combination of settings, usage, update, HW, apps, mods or who knows what. Without a lot more information it's impossible to reach firm conclusions.

Upvote 0
You'd have to ask whoever is making that assumption.

How many Vibrants have been updated? Hundreds of thousands at least? How many are complaining on the various forums? What percentage does that represent of all the updated phones? If the update alone is the culprit why aren't all the updated phones showing the problem? It could be some combination of settings, usage, update, HW, apps, mods or who knows what. Without a lot more information it's impossible to reach firm conclusions.

You are the one that said there isn't a problem.I didnt mod anything it was 100 stock. Did you ask this over at T-Mobile support forum or even look
You made the initial blanket statement so you back up what you said

Upvote 0

Just Curious to see.

Before OTA update, my battery lasted 12-15 hours
OTA Update bricked my phone, so I had to ODIN it
After ODINing, my battery lasts 20-22 hours with typical use.

I have no idea how that happened.

Upvote 0
Here is a post I made in one of the other battery threads:

I happily can say that my battery situation has improved dramatically after doing a factory restore. after sleeping for 7 hours, my battery drained ONLY 1%!

Despite some saying not to use juicedefender, i've had good experiences with the program and I did have it running last night. (paid version)

Regarding mediahub, i have not accepted the t&c's and don't plan to. However download manager (media hub process) is running in my running services.

Anyway, i'm happy.

Regarding the back up, I used Astro and it worked great.

I'm now at 13 hours since last unplug and my battery is at 32%. I've been using my phone heavily for the past 4 hours.
thx for this1, trying to find juicedefender too

Upvote 0
You are the one that said there isn't a problem.I didnt mod anything it was 100 stock. Did you ask this over at T-Mobile support forum or even look
You made the initial blanket statement so you back up what you said

I said the update itself isn't the problem, because I believe lots of phones have the update and no problem. I don't doubt that people reporting high battery drain are indeed seeing what they report. It's possible that the update in combination with something else causes a problem. What that something else might be is the question. If you find the answer please let us know.

Upvote 0
Why must people assume the it the end users fault for the battery woes. The issues is update. Take a look in T-Mobile own support forum. Its littered with the battery problems

This is why I posted this thread, there is something bizarre going on. I was hoping that discussing this issue might shed some light on fixes for those with battery issues.

I don't think it's a matter of finding "fault." It's about finding a solution. I'm on the .tar/.pit/Odin JI6 update with a factory reset prior to this most recent update. I have equal or better battery life than I did before the update.

When I did the initial Odin/.tar only update to JI6 my battery life went to hell and I couldn't see certain apps in the Market. The Mini-Kies update fixed the market issue but not the battery life. Turning off 3G access when not needed during idle time helped substantially post Mini-Kies, but battery life was still worse than pre-update. Note: I put a shortcut on my home screen to make access to the GSM/WCDMA quick and easy and I either back-button my way out of apps or use the new JI6 included Task Manager to kill them manually.

Factory reset prior to the 2 file (tar/pit) Odin update with selective use of 3G settings and I now have fantastic battery life. I did not do a I used the device all day (9PM night before to 6PM following day with phone on idling from 9PM until 7AM) and went through 20% of the battery's charge (100% down to 80%) and this for the last 2 days in a row. This was for business use, mostly voice calls, Bluetooth while in the car, texting, email, and a little GPS w/maps, GPS, sync and Bluetooth on the entire time with email set to sync every 5 minutes. I generally charge the phone between 6 or 7PM until 9 or 10PM and then unplug. No movies or games during that time. Now that the weekend is here I may have time to do some testing with some entertainment activity thrown into the mix of usage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones