• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery Life

Ok, so now I'm a little concerned.
4hr 37 min since unplugged
37% battery remaining
63% display (46m34s... thats like a percentage point/minute with only browsing and market place)
standby 8%
idle 8%
browser 7%
system 6%
voice calls 4% (55s!? thats 2.5 percentage points/minute talking, or 40 minutes of total talk time per charge!)
wifi 2%
OS 2%

something is seriously wrong with my battery, correct?

GPS is off, bluetooth is off... any suggestions welcomed!

Upvote 0
Ok, so now I'm a little concerned.
4hr 37 min since unplugged
37% battery remaining
63% display (46m34s... thats like a percentage point/minute with only browsing and market place)
standby 8%
idle 8%
browser 7%
system 6%
voice calls 4% (55s!? thats 2.5 percentage points/minute talking, or 40 minutes of total talk time per charge!)
wifi 2%
OS 2%

something is seriously wrong with my battery, correct?

GPS is off, bluetooth is off... any suggestions welcomed!

That or there's an app that's constantly running that is sucking down your battery.

Upvote 0
I downloaded advanced task killer and I had these running:
gmail
messaging
voice
settings
clock
google voice
goggles
gallery
browser

I killed them all and we'll see what happens, but I have a hard time seeing any of those being this resource intensive.

Related, I didn't realize that the apps just keep running in the background, is the only way to manage them to kill them? I suppose that "killing" the gmail, messaging, etc. that it will still notify me of new messages? And then I just need to kill the app every time? That seems a bit redundant.

Upvote 0
Starting off just from today:

Woke up at 7:30am
Did a bit of text messaging.
Downloaded a new app
Looked at the news, including opening the browser to read a Reuters article.

Currently at 97% and it's just about 11:00am.

My battery seems to be running fine.

Of course I keep WiFi and Bluetooth off when I'm not actively using it and I use taskiller to constantly kill applications I'm not using.

I haven't used the actual phone part just yet, but I did use it for about 20-25 minutes yesterday and I don't remember it dropping by anymore than 5%.

Upvote 0
There are other threads about task killing on Android software and that its not really necessary. As far as rogue apps, thats a different story, but if your battery is 60% down after unlplugging only 4 hrs ago, you may have a bad app or 2...or you are using it more than you think..it it hard to take your eyes off this sexy screen

Upvote 0
There are other threads about task killing on Android software and that its not really necessary. As far as rogue apps, thats a different story, but if your battery is 60% down after unlplugging only 4 hrs ago, you may have a bad app or 2...or you are using it more than you think..it it hard to take your eyes off this sexy screen

Agreed about not really needing taskill software. I was actually referring to a rogue app causing it but didn't work my response properly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help.

Applications I have downloaded:
Advanced Task Killer Free
Androrb
Battery Widget
Goggles
Google Sky Map

I just deleted Androrb to see if maybe it was the culprit (didn't work well anyways). I can literally watch my screen for less than 2 minutes and a percentage point from battery widget ticks off.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Task killing software and have it kill all running apps about once an hour. I dont know why, but I'll kill all running apps... Put my phone down... Come back 10 minutes later, and there are 10 apps or so running that I didnt even open. I'm not talking about OS required apps, but more things like Youtube, Voice Talk, etc etc.

But my battery seems to be running fine...

Unplugged at 8 AM...
Sent and received about 30 texts...
Connected to WIFI once I got to work...
Did some browsing...
Added a tweeting app to follow all major sports news
A couple coworkers did some browsing of the phone
and I have been playing with the phone pretty much all the time (I can't put it down!)

It's 1:11PM now and battery is at 79%

Upvote 0
I downloaded Task killing software and have it kill all running apps about once an hour. I dont know why, but I'll kill all running apps... Put my phone down... Come back 10 minutes later, and there are 10 apps or so running that I didnt even open. I'm not talking about OS required apps, but more things like Youtube, Voice Talk, etc etc.

But my battery seems to be running fine...

Unplugged at 8 AM...
Sent and received about 30 texts...
Connected to WIFI once I got to work...
Did some browsing...
Added a tweeting app to follow all major sports news
A couple coworkers did some browsing of the phone
and I have been playing with the phone pretty much all the time (I can't put it down!)

It's 1:11PM now and battery is at 79%

Would you mind looking at your battery use in settings and telling me what your display percentage is and click on display to see how much time on that includes? TIA

Upvote 0
OK, mine is still pretty terrible.

Unplugged at 10AM. It's now 1.40PM. Battery is at 60%.

I listened to Pandora for a bit (maybe 30 mins), but stopped when my batt got down to 90%. Had one 30 second call, and a few mins of playing with the web, etc. Also sent a couple of text messages.

I had installed Fring, too, which was running this whole time. Maybe that was the problem? I've killed it now with Advanced Task Killer.

Like others here, the Display is at 56%, time on being 30m 42s.

One other thing: even though it's been unplugged for almost four hours, the battery use says 1h 41m 18s since unplugged. It's clearly counting since noon, not since I unplugged it. Anyone else got the same behavior?

Upvote 0
One other thing: even though it's been unplugged for almost four hours, the battery use says 1h 41m 18s since unplugged. It's clearly counting since noon, not since I unplugged it. Anyone else got the same behavior?

Yesterday I had mine unplugged for about 8 hours... When i checked battery use it says that it has been only running about 3 hours at that point... I was like wtf? Then i remembered i did a battery pull about halfway through.

Upvote 0

I listened to Pandora for a bit (maybe 30 mins), but stopped when my batt got down to 90%. Had one 30 second call, and a few mins of playing with the web, etc. Also sent a couple of text messages.

I had installed Fring, too, which was running this whole time. Maybe that was the problem? I've killed it now with Advanced Task Killer.

If you are suspecting/troubleshooting a potential rogue app sucking down battery or causing problems then you don't need to simply kill it with a task killer. You need to uninstall it long enough for testing. Because you kill an app doesn't mean it won't relaunch at some point due to your phone activity.

Upvote 0

You are running about the same percentage that I was in relation to the screen. I deleted androrb, and got roughly 3 minutes in between percentage point losses with the screen on with 10 minute timeout. Then I deleted google goggles and sky map. Now I am at about 5m40s in between percentage point losses (which appears closer to normal according to rookie1082's experience of about 6m50s), so you may want to try deleting some apps.

Interesting that it wasn't just one app causing power drain. I'll reload goggles and sky map separately and see if both of them effect the power or just one.

Upvote 0
i read that a battery with half a charge gets worse reception. It takes alot of juice to ping out constantly. Get an app like anycut and turn everything off till you need it then just hit the on button.
The official numbers for battery life are very good for 3g. 7hours which is about 2 hours more than iphone and 250 minutes on standbye which is about 50 minutes less than iphone. If you're seeing really bad numbers then its just usage.

Upvote 0
Quick question. For those of you that think you have poor battery life, are you coming from another android phone or iphone? I upgraded from a G1 and with the same usage as I had before my battery life is significantly better than it was on my G1. Also keep in mind that you just got your phone so you're more likely to be playing with it more, dowloading new apps, showing it to friends, etc. which of course all contribute to a greater battery use.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a blackjack 2 winmo phone.

I'm in now way comparing this, however. There was definitely something draining my power, but I think I figured it out. I'll just be a little more deliberate in installing apps and testing the impact they make from now.

And I haven't used the live backgrounds at all so I have no idea how they affect power consumption.

Upvote 0
I'm coming from a 2G iPhone, which would last a couple of days under normal use. I agree with rynowhi - I think it may have been a few apps (Fring is looking like a possibility, although I haven't had it uninstalled long enough yet) that were draining the battery. We'll see. Battery life doesn't seem to be a general problem with the Nexus One.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones