• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Music/Media Player App

Anyone else tried this? If so, any thoughts?

There are different things about various players that I like, but nothing has all of what I want. I mainly listen to music in my car, and I don't want to have to unlock and go through five different screens to be able to change albums/folders or switch to shuffle.

One of the things I like about PowerAmp is that it's got two forward buttons on the widget, one to go to the next track, one to go to the next folder. Ideally, I'd love to see a player with that, plus a shuffle button, with Music Beta intergration, a lock screen widget, and customization of appearance (I like pink, I want glowy pink widgets on my phone, and this is Android, dang it, so I should be able to do that). I don't want lots of little extras like music discovery and the like (since I can get that through Music Beta) or little spinny cubes.

In short, I want a player that looks the way I want it to look and can safely perform multiple functions while traveling at 75mph. Six players later, I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions?
Tried Neutron MP3 on Optimus T very slow to no response, had to abandon. GUI is incredible with multiple EQ settings, will keep trying updates to see if they can streamline to make it work on smaller processors.

Upvote 0
psound: m3u is a playlist format type. Basically, it is a text file that contains paths to the location of the music on a device and plays them in the order given(unless you engage shuffle or something). Power Amp and I'm sure many other players can play m3u playlist files. :) In fact, you can build a playlist on your comp and move it to your droid and your music player should pick it automatically. I don't know if amazon plays it's music from an m3u playlist, but it is mp3 once you download it anyway.

Oh, if it wasn't obvious, I am a Power Amp user. I will try that Neutron mentioned though, always looking for the best.

Upvote 0
Just bought Samsung Galaxy S 2 which is my third Android device after the iPhone era. have been using PowerAmp all the time and am guite pleased with it.
However, I'm missing the volume leveling function of the iPod. Any idea if there is an Android player that has it?

Edit; by volume leveling I mean a normalizer that evens out the volume of different tracks.

Upvote 0
Quick heads up about a major update for PowerAMP, presently in beta!

FINALLY my SGSII can read genre tags properly (previously EVERY player took its tag reading from the systems way of reading tags, resulting in genre tags being messed up which really bugs me as I predominantly like to listen by shuffling a genre! FLAC tags also now work properly).

More details and download links (no warez) here: AndroidNZ: PowerAMP 2.0 Beta Quietly Released

Upvote 0
Radio Channels

this is site but i am not able to play online radio station on android 2.2
Which player will support to play online fm station

Damn, bro! The android market is full of apps that'll stream FM radio stations to your phone. The tricky part is finding one that'll "tune in" to radio stations using the phones built in FM receiver. Or at least one that doesn't use data connections to download stuff. I have one user that has this exact issue. The ROM she is using doesn't have a Radio app. All I can find are online. But she doesn't have a unlimited data plan and even at a lowly 64k, the MB on her plan would be wiped out in now time.

Upvote 0
Edit; by volume leveling I mean a normalizer that evens out the volume of different tracks.

If you can't find an app that does this, you can always do what I do...

Since I do some deejaying, I like to run all my songs thru MP3 Gain in order to ensure that all my tracks are leveled and that I shouldn't have to adjust the gain knobs for that very reason. If you were to do this, you wouldn't need to worry about the app needing a built-in normalizer. The default is to 89db; although I set my default to 95db.

Upvote 0
Hmm...I think PlayerPro sounds better than PowerAmp to me; at least for the music I listen to (mostly electronica). However, I don't like the fact that the "resume play when headphones are plugged in" feature isn't working...which works fine in PowerAmp. I do prefer the interface in PlayerPro...I think it's much cleaner.

Upvote 0
I recently got the Galaxy Nexus and was wondering what would be the best video player for it? I tried Moboplayer but it keeps telling me to download a certain plugin (armv7 neon) which i have tried to download, but it still won't let me get past this initial screen. Thanks, i may just be ****ing something up but this is my first smartphone so i don't have much of a clue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones