• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth won't pair with my car

doncas

Lurker
Jul 23, 2014
I have a 2011 Corolla and have been using the factory installed Bluetooth radio with my RAZR M for more than a year with no problems. Two days ago I was experimenting with using the phone as a Bluetooth audio device through my car radio since that is a separate option on the radio. I now cannot pair my phone with the car radio.

I mistakenly deleted my phone from the car radio before installing my phone as a Bluetooth audio device. After using the phone to play some music I tried to pair my phone as a hands free device with the car radio again. I was unable to pair the phone. The car radio will show up on the phone and when I tap to pair with the car radio it says "unable to pair the phone".

My phone can pair with other Bluetooth devices (portable speakers, desktop home PC) but will not pair with my car. My daughters Samsung S4 pairs fine with my car along with my friends IPhone.

I have tried powering down and resetting the phone and deleting all phones in the car radio.

I updated to Android 4.4.2 in May and I do believe this is the first time I have tried to pair after updating the OS. Could this be the reason?

RAZR M
Android 4.4.2
Build#: KDA20.62-10.1

2011 Corolla
Bluetooth Ver. 1.2
A2DP Ver. 1.0

Anybody have any ideas?

Welcome to the site :hello:

It sounds like you have done everything if I read correctly. You have deleted the phone from you car radio, have you deleted all bluetooth connections from the phone as well and start over as if brand new?

It sounds like you have, but just checking. I don't want to blame the KitKat update for this, after all it was working fine until you tried this different type of pairing right?

I'll monitor this thread for your answers if if no-one else helps, I'll put out a call to others that know a lot more about bluetooth pairing to cars than I do.

good luck

Upvote 0
LDrifta,
My radio is a factory installed unit not aftermarket. I followed the instructions of the radio and deleted all cell phones and Bluetooth audio players.

I cannot pair my phone to my car radio. The car radio shows up on my phone and when I select the car radio on my phone to pair the car radio indicates that it is "unable to pair with phone". My phone indicates "cannot communicate with car multimedia" which is the name of the car radio.

As I mentioned in my original post I just started havung issues affer upgdading to the 4.4.2 OS. Apparently there are issues with WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity on certainty phones after the KitKat update.

I am close to getting a new phone from my provider since nobody can identify the problem.

Upvote 0
So, after spending over an hour on the phone with Verizon and Toyota and trying all recommended fixes, including a factory reset of the phone, I still could not pair with my car.

Verizon agreed to send me a replacement phone. I received the phone, same model with 4.4.2 OS (same build number) and the phone paired fine with my car.

I'm assuming that there was an error during the update to 4.4.2 on my old phone.

Thanks to everyone.

Reactions: teddyearp
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones