• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

BOOST SGS2 FH29 Root Achieved!

Ok, so the AGAT v5.04 flashed without issue, IF I want to go back to the stock kernel is there a way I can? I don't see any stock kernels online yet, so... o_O

SU installed fine too so im rooted. However, "just in case" i'd like to be able to restore the stock kernel.

Not that I know of. I didn't think to try to see if I could extract the stock kernel before rooting, but so for now I think we're stuck running custom with our voided warrantys!

Reactions: cerj
Upvote 0
Im a bit confused on how this root works, i've rooted every Android device i've ever owned before without any confusion but this method on this particular device is a bit confusing.

I don't wanna "lose" the stock ROM stuff, I mainly only want root so I can get rid of annoying ads on websites, apps, etc. I'm not really interested at the moment to use CM, I just want a basic root, yet have stock ROM apps, etc. Is there anyway to do that?
Im having to go to others sites for sprint to fill in the blanks. but i dont wanna brick my phone so Im tenative trying this. Im hoping someonethat has followed Guyphs post and rooted, will fill in the blanks here. also reading that MMS has to be tweaked and theres no roaming after root. cuz we have to use a sprint kernal thats not FH29. THANKS in advance to anyone that will break this root down further.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This is what I have, this is the stock rom the phone shipped with before the FH29 update

Dev-Host - D710BST_CODE_SPH-D710BST.FG31_CL981989_REV02_user_low_ship.tar.md5.7z - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

If you would rather I pull the kernel from my phone which is on FH29 can we get on a messenger of your choice so you can assist me

I think I may have found the stock Kernel. It's FH13, but I believe that was the version that my phone was running prior to the OTA update, but I'm not for certain. Here's the link.

Mark -- is this still with the stock kernel? If so, how did you get it off your phone? Is it a nandroid? I'm just curious because I got your PM and was looking for instructions on how to do it since I've never done it before.

Edit to add: And if that file you posted is still with the stock kernel, you have already pulled your kernel off the phone my friend. I extracted it from the archive, renamed the tar.md5 to rar, opened it up and inside there is an ~8mb zimage file -- that is the kernel AFAIK.

Upvote 0
I think I may have found the stock Kernel. It's FH13, but I believe that was the version that my phone was running prior to the OTA update, but I'm not for certain. Here's the link.

Mark -- is this still with the stock kernel? If so, how did you get it off your phone? Is it a nandroid? I'm just curious because I got your PM and was looking for instructions on how to do it since I've never done it before.

Edit to add: And if that file you posted is still with the stock kernel, you have already pulled your kernel off the phone my friend. I extracted it from the archive, renamed the tar.md5 to rar, opened it up and inside there is an ~8mb zimage file -- that is the kernel AFAIK.

This looks like the Sprint ROM not the Boost. As far as I know Boost is FH31/29 and was issued in September.

After using the search enigine I do not see Boost listed.

Upvote 0

The link that I referenced in my post is the stock rom that the phone shipped with. I got it from another Boost root thread in the Sprint section

Upvote 0
This looks like the Sprint ROM not the Boost. As far as I know Boost is FH31/29 and was issued in September.

After using the search enigine I do not see Boost listed.

I'm not meaning the ROM, just the kernel itself. I know that the Sprint stock ROM isn't what we're looking for, but I think the kernels are the same regardless of the carrier. Regardless though, it looks like Mark found the stock ROM the phone shipped with.

Upvote 0
Confirmed to work once rooted [tested with stock ROM + AGAT kernel]: TriangleAway

No more annoying yellow triangle for me on my boot screen. :D

[If you try TriangleAway, use with caution though as it CAN brick your phone, and by brick I mean non-recoverable brick, because it messes with the bootloader. However MANY people have used it and have not bricked their phones, it's just a risk.]

Upvote 0
Confirmed to work once rooted [tested with stock ROM + AGAT kernel]: TriangleAway

No more annoying yellow triangle for me on my boot screen. :D

[If you try TriangleAway, use with caution though as it CAN brick your phone, and by brick I mean non-recoverable brick, because it messes with the bootloader. However MANY people have used it and have not bricked their phones, it's just a risk.]

Just wanted to add that I've used triangle away as well with no problems.

That is the backup I am looking for, but I do not know how to utilize it.

This doesn't appear to be a CWM backup, Odin sees it but I am unsure on how to proceed.

I believe you can flash with Odin or mobile Odin. If you're wanting to go back to stock or absolute stock I think you'll have to use mobile Odin otherwise the flash counter increases, placing the triangle on the boot screen. I don't think flashing with mobile Odin does that.

But I'm not sure, I need to look into it more before I'd feel comfortable telling anyone to do that or trying it myself

Upvote 0
This is what I know, you can flash the stock boost rom with regular odin, however I wqas unaware of the flash count. As far as flashing the kernel, it needs to be in a tar.md5 file, which is basically a tar file with a checksum. You cannot flash the kernel by adding md5 to the file extension, if you do this odin will say bad checksum and you will not be able to reboot your phone (what happened to me) you will have to restore to stock, you cannot flash the plain zimage file in regular odin. Lastly you need linux in order to incorporate the checksum into the tar file containing the kernel (and linux I don't have)

Upvote 0

Tried to check out the Boost ROM with Odin, failed. Went to my AGAT backup and restored.

It took away my baseband and now I have no service ...

I am a little pissy.

edit: I had the Boost ROM under phone file in Odin.

Kev that was WRONG,

when you downloaded the file you extract it, that gives you the tar.md5 file
once you have that YOU MUST SELECT PDA in odin and it flashes successfully

Reactions: kevincott
Upvote 0
Kev that was WRONG,

when you downloaded the file you extract it, that gives you the tar.md5 file
once you have that YOU MUST SELECT PDA in odin and it flashes successfully

Thx and thx again!

Back to stock Boost with FH31.

I like to test different ROMs and now have my RTS FailSafe. BTW Blazer ROM was worth checking out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones