• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broken Evo Charging Port Thread, Lets Track This Issue

I noticed that another micro USB wall charger I have is much easier to connect/disconnect than the OEM version. I bet the constant hard push/pull from the OEM one is what eventually causes the solder points to weaken & snap. Even the connection bars on the OEM one stick out further than my other one.

Just praying I don't develop this issue because I love my EVO.

Upvote 0
My turn at the Sprint wheel of luck... My opening day EVO 4G stopped charging one day, more specifically, only charged when the charging cable was held in a certian position, otherwise no charge.

I saw this thread and tried the closest Sprint corporate store (in Rolling Meadows,IL) where after 45 minutes I was handed my phone, and a reciept with my previously semi-functioning USB port taped to it...

The clerk, asst. mrg and the manager (Jessica) told me I had to place and insurance claim to get a replacement phone. She explained that any damage to the motherboard was considered physical damage and that Insurance was my only recourse. After explaining that this seemed (based on the posts here) to be a mfg defect, and that it didn't seem fair to have to pay the $100 deductible (I carry the full insurance) she gave me the number for HTC to call.

I tried another corporate store, in Addison, where I was told the same thing. I then tried the store closest to my home (Bloomingdale,IL) and was comforted by the mgr Bobby, that after Oct 24, Sprint decided that damaged phones (that were not a total loss) and covered under full insurance would be replaced, still through insurance, but without a deducutible!

He offered an external battery charger to get me by, but apparently the last customer who needed it failed to return it. When all else failed, he gave me a quick charge from another phone and told me the replacement would be in on Monday (today is Friday night).

Bobby explained that his store was NOT a corporate store, and had more incentive to make me a satisfied, possible re-occuring customer. He definitly put the effort into it, and even though I get to go cold turkey for the weekend, which my wife will appreciate, am happy with the resolution at this point.

BTW I am typing this from his store, through their Overdrive mobile hotspot :)

He took it in the repair depot and managed to get the usb port re-attached, although it doesn't look like it's going to charge anymore.
I'm sure you've resolved this problem but the Rolling meadows store isn't very helpful usually. I had this problem today and went to the south Barrington store and they looked at it and told me i'd have to have it swapped out. They charged me $35 (I don't have insurance) and said i'd have a phone in a few days. Can't beat that service really. Fortunately I have a wall charger and a spare battery so I can make due for a few days.

Upvote 0
If its a manufacturing defect then you shouldn't be charged for repair or replacement. If you put it through insurance then that's why you paid the deductible. Call Sprint and see if they can help you.
So I did call Sprint, and they said they have to stick to the word of their corporate store. They said I could take it into another store to have them see if it's a manufacturer's defect or an abuse issue to get a second opinion.

Upvote 0
i broke the charger microusb port on my kidigi cradle (they replaced it) - but what I do now is I use only my home and desk cradle and my proclip car mount. this way the phone is aligned pretty much perfectly when the port is being used and i think that will make it wear less. i rarely plug the charge cable into the phone directly.

Upvote 0
I forgot to post my update, so here it goes..

Went to the Corp store in Flushing NY and they kept asking me if I have insurance, to which I replied yes. One guy said that i may have to go through the insurance, I informed him that I would prefer you check it first so I can be certain that it is not the data cable/ dock port but rather the device itself. if its the device then yeah I'll go through the insurance.

I left it for an hour for them to check and when I got back, they said that they are going to replace it on the spot. They gave me a brand new EVO. Not a white one though.

TA out

Upvote 0
I forgot to post my update, so here it goes..

Went to the Corp store in Flushing NY and they kept asking me if I have insurance, to which I replied yes. One guy said that i may have to go through the insurance, I informed him that I would prefer you check it first so I can be certain that it is not the data cable/ dock port but rather the device itself. if its the device then yeah I'll go through the insurance.

I left it for an hour for them to check and when I got back, they said that they are going to replace it on the spot. They gave me a brand new EVO. Not a white one though.

TA out

Did you get a HW version 4? Thats great that you got a new one.

Upvote 0
Others reported easy separation of the USB port from the board due to those units having (essentially) bad soldering jobs.

It doesn't take abuse to get a product with no-noes that made it past QA at the factory.

I'm one of those. Long thread so I will re-post. I had my evo apart when it was about a week old. It had substandard connections in my opinion, so I fixed them.

Just got my mom and evo that she gets today, HW003. Not taking hers apart but I hope it's a bit better.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
So lemme ask you folks who've gotten replacement EVO's since this problem occurred...has it happened again? Did you do anything different to prevent it?
I replaced my pre-order Evo which never had the charge port issue due to rebooting problems. The replacement's charge port broke the first week I had it. I'm able to hold it 'just right' to charge but will be swapping this one out soon :(.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
So lemme ask you folks who've gotten replacement EVO's since this problem occurred...has it happened again? Did you do anything different to prevent it?

My launch day EVO, hardware version 002 lasted about 4 months before developing the issue. It was replaced at a Sprint Store with a new hardware version 003. I've had it for 2 months now with no issues. I'm not doing anything different, because I didn't do anything wrong with the first one.

Upvote 0
My micro usb port started to give me promblems yesterday morning. I had to find that sweet spot an leave it alone til it was charged enough for use. Well tonight i was about to go to bed and i plugged it in an could not find that sweet spot i went to take the charger out of the evo and the port came out half way. I called sprint yesterday an they told me that i would not be charged to fix it an just to take it to the store an they would fix it free of charge, well this is before my usb port was coming out of my phone lol. Hope this dosent infect my results. Im hoping they just give me a brand new phone. :) hope it all goes well

Upvote 0
My evo port started to give me promblems called sprint said take it to the store they will fix for free. Took it to the store my micro usb port is no longer attached to my motherboard. he told me they can not fix an can not replace since its a physical problem. well went home called sprint numerous times about 4 of them told me the same thing. one guy said he was gonna try to find a way to get me a new one an he would call me back never called back. called agiain got a really cool guy i guess? well he said okay is there any physical damage like cracks ect. i said no an what about the port is that physical damage he said look at it, is it cracked or anything look wrong. i said no he said okay. i repeated myself an said are you postive about the port. cuz im not trying to get charged 400 dollars when htc recives my phone. he said can you see any promblems with you eye i said no but then again i cant see inside the phone he said okay then your good. i got a replacement on overnight order. i really hope this guy did not fuc me cuz i refuse to pay 400 when i coulda just did the 100 insurance witch i didnt wanna do. if i do get charged be sure that guy will lose his job an they will credit my account 400 dollars. hope every thing works out good!

Upvote 0
Are most of the issues in this thread physical ones?

I'm beginning to think I might have a bad USB port regarding syncing to my PC and/or using my Evo as a drive. I've had zero success, in the past 3-4 months, getting any of my computers (work, home and laptop) to "recognize" my Evo.

Most of the USB issues are physical, and due to a weak solder point. It's fixable, but some of the repair stores don't want to open up the phone to do it. It's probably just as easy for them to give you a replacement (mostly refurbs but sometimes new if refurbs aren't available) and send the phone back to HTC to have them do the repairs and checks.

They should have given the USB a more solid connection. I'm surprised the issue isn't as common with the HDMI port. Then again, not nearly as much use from that port.

In the end, the makers need to implement a Touchstone style charging solution going forward.

Upvote 0

I'm beginning to think I might have a bad USB port regarding syncing to my PC and/or using my Evo as a drive. I've had zero success, in the past 3-4 months, getting any of my computers (work, home and laptop) to "recognize" my Evo.

i really dont think this may be a problem due to the micro port but i way be wrong. if your evo is charging off of the charger than it shouldn't be a problem with that.
the problem with the port is that its coming off the evo's mother board. this meaning that you could not charge either.
im not a expert but this seems it might be more of a hardware problem.

contact sprint an tell them about it an they should send you a phone cuz any software,hardware problems are covered, just tell them it charges just will not read on computer so cant put music on to it an its really making mad. they should hook ya up. dont say anything about the port because that is not covered under the warranty. hope this helps
it may also be your sd card

Most of the USB issues are physical, and due to a weak solder point. It's fixable, but some of the repair stores don't want to open up the phone to do it. It's probably just as easy for them to give you a replacement (mostly refurbs but sometimes new if refurbs aren't available) and send the phone back to HTC to have them do the repairs and checks.

They should have given the USB a more solid connection. I'm surprised the issue isn't as common with the HDMI port. Then again, not nearly as much use from that port.

In the end, the makers need to implement a Touchstone style charging solution going forward.

i think they should get rid of the micro usb chargers an go to the old razor/slvr moto phones ect charger. they were perfect. east input an output.

I really this problem is a curing due to the chargers not just a specific one any charger for the evo. It has them two lil hooks on the top of it. I think when you try to unplug its putting to much force on the port and trying to come off after enough times being plugged in, an it finally says screw an decided to brake off.

Im breaking my hooks on the charger off after this to see if it helps on my replacement.

Upvote 0
i think they should get rid of the micro usb chargers an go to the old razor/slvr moto phones ect charger. they were perfect. east input an output.

The whole world has gone the opposite direction. Ironically, it is because the connector is much more durable. This is not a port problem, people are reporting the port separating from the phone, not deforming or crumbling into dust. This is a manufacturing/design issue, not a port issue.

I was annoyed at first with the change since I had mini usb everywhere...but over the last year, that has flipped.

P.S. I'd suggest not breaking the hooks off.

Upvote 0
Adding my name to the list with this problem. HW ver 3 EVO. Ironically I've been using the iGo tips(car and wall charging) since day one and only resorted to using the supplied connector because I was on vaction and the cord was in my laptop bag. Lo and behold I start seeing this issue within 3 days. The supplied connector "grips" to tightly and removing it causes the port to lose connection.
I love the EVO but too many QA problems. Had to return my launch day HW ver 2 due to light leakage. This is my second one and looks like I will be getting a third. The bad news (or good news depending on your view) is that there still isnt worth competitor on the market and EVo still is the best all around Android phone. Shift 4g and Epic disappointing in my view. only phone that I would replace EVO with is the new Verizon 4G thunder whatever but that also requires new contract and limited data.. sigh

Upvote 0

Are you using a cord specifically for Data? or just a Charging cord. They look exactly the same but are completely different.

Upvote 0
The whole world has gone the opposite direction. Ironically, it is because the connector is much more durable. This is not a port problem, people are reporting the port separating from the phone, not deforming or crumbling into dust. This is a manufacturing/design issue, not a port issue.

I was annoyed at first with the change since I had mini usb everywhere...but over the last year, that has flipped.

P.S. I'd suggest not breaking the hooks off.

Why should i not break the hooks off, seems like it would be better for the port.

Upvote 0
Any version 4 Evo's with a broken charger connection? I havent noticed any in this thread. I'm wondering if the 4's have remedied the problem.

Interesting. Might just be that HW Ver. 4 hasn't been out long enough.

I am still on my first phone, so far.
Only mod is that I've been using a 3500 battery for about 2 months.
Purchased: August 5, 2010
HW Version: 0003
Build Date: July 11, 2010

Upvote 0
Got my EVO the day it came out and I had this issue about a month ago. Sprint was able to get me another phone in about 3 days. Fairly painless since i could still rig my charger up to work so i wasn't phoneless. Pain losing everything tho.

I was also very surprised there was no way to unassociate your google account with the phone without restoring to factory default. Prob not a big deal, but I think it's a little much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones