• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying an unlocked Hero

I'm not sure if anyone is able to answer this confidently, maybe those that have older unlocked Android phones can give some insight.
I'm looking at buying an unlocked Hero from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk, whenever they start selling them. I'm only hesitant about what if any support I'd lose from not buying directly from a carrier. How do Android OTA updates work on unlocked phones? Also, can anyone speculate yet how HTC is going to be handling its updates? Will it push through the carriers? If I buy unlocked and get a contract through Vodafone (who is not officially carrying the phone) will I be the last one on the block to get my updates? Or will I need to root my phone and install them all myself?
Any feedback is appreciated :)

I have a unlocked hero from expansys using it on o2. In settings-security there's a option for firmware download. It has 3 settings auto prompt and never. Would assume this goes straight to HTC but haven't used it yet. Does this help

My hero is from mobilephonesdirect. White, unlocked and on Vodafone. I have exactly the same settings. If you can't update OTA though, there is always the possibility of doing it through the computer ...

Upvote 0
The unlocked Hero has a number of advantages over the carrier branded versions, as this is the first Android device that has not been offered with carrier tie in (the dev editions not withstanding).

HTC's own SenceUI implementation will almost certainly be updated from HTC before it leaks to the carriers so they can hack it about, and I would guess the same would be for Donut or Android 2.

As for OTA, you may need to look at a side loading application of the ROM when it comes down, but again this should not be too much of a problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones