Buying an unlocked Hero

Last Updated:

1. topcheffer

topcheffer Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure if anyone is able to answer this confidently, maybe those that have older unlocked Android phones can give some insight.
    I'm looking at buying an unlocked Hero from mobilephonesdirect.co.uk, whenever they start selling them. I'm only hesitant about what if any support I'd lose from not buying directly from a carrier. How do Android OTA updates work on unlocked phones? Also, can anyone speculate yet how HTC is going to be handling its updates? Will it push through the carriers? If I buy unlocked and get a contract through Vodafone (who is not officially carrying the phone) will I be the last one on the block to get my updates? Or will I need to root my phone and install them all myself?
    Any feedback is appreciated :)

Advertisement
  2. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

I have the same questions. I read somewhere that one must have a data plan to activate the G1. This is even if the G1 has been unlocked. I am now to this and am also hoping we can hear from someone who is more knowledgable.

3. jdandcoke

jdandcoke New Member

I have a unlocked hero from expansys using it on o2. In settings-security there's a option for firmware download. It has 3 settings auto prompt and never. Would assume this goes straight to HTC but haven't used it yet. Does this help

4. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

My hero is from mobilephonesdirect. White, unlocked and on Vodafone. I have exactly the same settings. If you can't update OTA though, there is always the possibility of doing it through the computer ...

5. slaguru

slaguru Member

The unlocked Hero has a number of advantages over the carrier branded versions, as this is the first Android device that has not been offered with carrier tie in (the dev editions not withstanding).

HTC's own SenceUI implementation will almost certainly be updated from HTC before it leaks to the carriers so they can hack it about, and I would guess the same would be for Donut or Android 2.

As for OTA, you may need to look at a side loading application of the ROM when it comes down, but again this should not be too much of a problem.

6. JavaWizKid

JavaWizKid Member

Can you use GPS for free with Vodafone?

7. verhoeven

verhoeven New Member

I have the same HTC by Vodafone, but the price is included with the internet subscription.

8. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

What do you mean by gps for free? I have an included data plan. I can use Google maps etc for 'free' if that's the way you want to put it ...