• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't open emails in Outlook after syncing it with Galaxy S3.

Ok so my girlfriend just upgraded from an old Blackberry to a Galaxy S3, and when she activated her hotmail (Outlook) account on the phone it worked for a few minutes and then she kept getting the "cannot sign in, incorrect username or password" error message for that account, and to make matters worse, when she tried to reset the password using my computer now she can't open recent emails to that account, i.e. emails received since activating the account on the S3. Now, I mean she can't even open these emails on a computer or another device, and the Outlook account just wont open on the S3, keeps saying "Incorrect Username or Password" even though we know they are not.
Has anyone heard of this before? We think it could alternatively be a problem with the old sim card in the Blackberry being deactivated, but her other email account that she used on the Blackberry still works fine and is synced with the S3.

I think the access for exchange accounts don't work that way. As in a client program has no real control over the username password of an email system.

You are saying when trying to open emails from outlook.com for her hotmail account you cannot even when signed in?

Generally a client system, like on the phone, that just doesn't authenticate just won't sign in. You may have, in efforts to figure out a password that you had to try different things to remember, have locked the account on the microsoft side of things.

If you know you are signing in correctly on outlook.com and cannot open emails then that is definitely a microsoft thing.

If you know your account info and cannot sign in to it from phone, then delete that account form settings and try adding it as an exchange active sync account (not as hotmail). exchange server is m.hotmail.com leave domain blank and username in domain\username field is "\user@hotmail.com"

I believe, as you described, that in the efforts to set everything up you created two separate problems, one with microsoft and one with the phone settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones