• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Captivate WTF? Help?

Ok, So today I was haveing problems with my phone turning off randomly so i was going to take it back to the att store. I read online that it would void my warranty, so i decided i would just "Unroot" it, I thought to do this all i had to do was enter the system recovery and delete cache and user data. Huge mistake, I previously had unleash the beast on it, and now when i start it up pretty much everything is force closeing with this message " The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. dumpstate_app_201011261756_com_google_process_gapps. log has been saved. Use *#9900# to copy out log.
Then i have to force close. And then they pop up again, There are other messages such as Media, Browser,Galler, Calender Storage,Phone, and google. And my USB on my phone says its not connected USB and only charges. So i know its connected. WHAT DO I DO?

You can also try this button combo as well. I just did these steps on my phone to ensure I'm giving you the right steps.

1. Turn off your phone, remove the battery, SIM card, and any external SD card you might have.
2. Wait 10-12 seconds with the phone off and all parts removed.
3. Open Odin on your computer. (On Windows, when you are starting Odin...Right click on Odin and "Run as administrator"
4. Plug your USB cable to the computer, and your phone.
5. Hold the Volume Up and Volume Down...DO NOT LET GO!
6. Holding the Vol Up/Down and with your phone plugged in, insert the battery
7. Within a few seconds, you should be in Download mode.

Key points here are to make sure there is at least 10 seconds elapsed where your phone has no power, and to make sure you don't let go of the Vol Up/Down until you are in Download mode.

Upvote 0
Looks like you get to try the adb method then. Enable USB debugging on your phone. (Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging)

Download the Android SDK here: (I hope you're on a Windows system)
Android SDK | Android Developers
(I also assume you already have USB drivers installed. If you don't...well install them.)

Unzip the file "android-sdk-r07-windows"
Copy the folder "android-sdk-windows" to the root level of your hard drive (typically C: drive)
Open up a command prompt.
Type: cd C:\
You should now just see: C:\>
Type: cd C:\android-sdk-windows
You should now see: C:\android-sdk-windows>
Type: cd tools
You should now see: C:\android-sdk-windows/tools>
Type: adb reboot download
Your phone should be rebooting into Download mode. Start Odin, and flash.

Reactions: Brody G
Upvote 0
OMG, I had a bad experience with AT&T and a charger that supposedly was a replacement charger for what came with the Captivate - thankfully I read the back of the cable box before I left and it said it wasn't a USB cable. Why would anyone sell something that looked like a direct replacement but actually wasn't??!? In any event, Brody, I'm very happy the experts gave you the guidance you needed and your issue is fixed
thumbsup.gif

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones