• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant Slow Mobile Data?

When I had my issues with the Triumph, I had 6 replacements in 4 months, obviously wasn't getting anywhere so I filed a BBB complaint, within 10 days I was contacted by Sprints Executive Escalation dept and long story short they agreed to credit my account $60 to compensate me for 6 months because of upgrading to the Evo V and losing my grandfathered plan. Might have better luck with that route instead of the FCC. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add my vote that I think our 3g service is being prioritized.

During the middle of the night, 12am-5am I can stay connected to 3g 90% of the time.

During the day, its the opposite. Probably 80% of the time its 2g, 20% of the time 3g. And of course, it keeps jumping back and forth draining the battery.

Only variable is the time of day. I am testing with the phone in the same exact location tethered to my desktop.

I was just reading this and wondering if anyone has tried loading a Sprint PRL to their phones to change the priority?

Upvote 0
I don't completely understand how that works. Don't VM and Sprint use the same towers? Are there some towers that Sprint can access that VM can not?

I doesn't work. All the prl does is tell the phone where to roam, virgin has no roaming, so it doesnt help, imo. There are plenty of theories why the data is slow, prioritizing is one of them. But there are too many variables in speedtests to know for sure. Personally I think it is all just an overloaded network.

Upvote 0
I actually agree with your overloaded network theory. Sprint just got done a massive upgrade in my area overhauling the cell towers with microwave back hauls and my data is alot more solid on my One V. I asked my brother how his was as he is still on the Elite and he said his data has been pretty solid as well. My wife picked my son up one of the new white Elites from Best Buy when they had it for $50. Waiting until he gets that at Christmas so I can personally see how the Elite does in my area now.

I think some parts of Sprint's network are just way overloaded and they are giving priority to Sprint and VM users get the left overs. Why it's worse on some phones rather than others I'm not sure

Maybe it will start getting better as Sprint rolls out these upgrades. Just sucks that people get stuck with crappy data until it happens

Upvote 0
I can stand next to my buddy with his sprint iPhone 4 and get speedtests no more than 100kbps apart from his. Well within the realm of signal differences. It's not priority, its over sold. Same thing with a coworker with a sprint iphone 4s at work. He also gets the same crappy speeds in the building with few bars. I lol when he tries to use Siri. There are plenty of Boost and Sprint slow data complaints.

Upvote 0
data connection on this phone suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. trying to play an online game is completely impossible. my old Intercept worked 100x better than this phone does. unfortunate because this is a decent cheap little phone.

advice to people looking to possibly switch to this phone, STAY AWAY. stay far away. the data issues really kill this thing.

too bad.

Reactions: MacFett
Upvote 0
data connection on this phone suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. trying to play an online game is completely impossible. my old Intercept worked 100x better than this phone does. unfortunate because this is a decent cheap little phone.

advice to people looking to possibly switch to this phone, STAY AWAY. stay far away. the data issues really kill this thing.

too bad.

3G is bad in general. Wifi for the phone is great, however.

Upvote 0
data connection on this phone suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. trying to play an online game is completely impossible. my old Intercept worked 100x better than this phone does..

Having used an intercept for over two years I can safely say the intercept is possibly the worst phone ever made. Some common apps like facebook took forever to load due to low memory and processing power. This phone is nothing like the intercept.

I found the data connection to be sightly better on the elite. I actually did many speed tests using my intercept over several days as I waited for my elite. I then did speed tests after it arrived. The speeds for me have consistently been slightly better than the intercept.

Upvote 0
Having used an intercept for over two years I can safely say the intercept is possibly the worst phone ever made. Some common apps like facebook took forever to load due to low memory and processing power. This phone is nothing like the intercept.

I found the data connection to be sightly better on the elite. I actually did many speed tests using my intercept over several days as I waited for my elite. I then did speed tests after it arrived. The speeds for me have consistently been slightly better than the intercept.

I agree the intercept is a terrible phone, I still have mine and turned it on recently, and man, the display is horrible. Data is also slower on the Intercept because the 3g radio is only EVDO rev.O, the Elite is EVDO rev.A. I guess it is all area and the phone you have. 3g has been solid on my Elite.

Upvote 0
I agree the intercept is a terrible phone, I still have mine and turned it on recently, and man, the display is horrible. Data is also slower on the Intercept because the 3g radio is only EVDO rev.O, the Elite is EVDO rev.A. I guess it is all area and the phone you have. 3g has been solid on my Elite.

Actually the VM version of the Intercept supports EVDO rev. A. I think the elite just gets better reception than the intercept.

Upvote 0

ive had two elites and this has not been my experience. they both have had really shitty data connection issues.

when it connects, it's fine. but 5 times out of 10 it fails to connect on the first or second or third time for me.

yeah the Intercept was a POS compared to this phone, but the 3g connection (while not stellar) was a LOT more reliable for me than either Elite that ive owned.

yeah wifi is great when it doesnt choose to go to sleep for no reason at all on me, or it fails to automatically connect to my home network for whatever reason.

Upvote 0
ive had two elites and this has not been my experience. they both have had really shitty data connection issues.

when it connects, it's fine. but 5 times out of 10 it fails to connect on the first or second or third time for me.

yeah the Intercept was a POS compared to this phone, but the 3g connection (while not stellar) was a LOT more reliable for me than either Elite that ive owned.

yeah wifi is great when it doesnt choose to go to sleep for no reason at all on me, or it fails to automatically connect to my home network for whatever reason.

I've had two elites too, but I've never had those problems. 3G is just slow for me (but then, it's 3G, isn't it supposed to be rather slow?).

Upvote 0
This phone keeps making me mad and I keep thinking about replacing it.
I can tolerate the slow connection speeds most days. What I hate is that when using the 3G the phone heats up and tanks the battery......... (I know there's a thread about keeping it one 1G and not switching between 2G & 3G which is what I think heats the phone and kills the battery. May have to find the thread and ask the question if the battery does not drop as fast this way....)
My only other smart phone was the V and that phone worked great.

*Edit*
Found the sticky on how to change the network and set it for 2G only to see if it helps the battery situation.

Upvote 0
Like 1989 dial-up slow?

(I would post a screen shot, but the screen shot function in Sleipnir doesn't work)

(all speeds kbps)
37 down 163 up
91 down 85 up
54 down 80 up
120 down 163 up
14 down 132 up
13 down 152 up
8 down 19 up

... what version of Sleipnir are you on? Sleipnir has been working for a few builds now, and gets regularly updated :p

Anyways, yes, it's usually dial-up slow, and melts the battery. Except for long-distance travelling and I need GPS - otherwise, I never usually have a need to use 3G.

Upvote 0
Anyways, yes, it's usually dial-up slow, and melts the battery. Except for long-distance travelling and I need GPS - otherwise, I never usually have a need to use 3G.
If we use this nationwide average of 0.59Mbps on 3G I get <1/10th of that.

wireless_average_speeds3-11348521.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones