• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Darktremor A2SD for Prevail [Updated 5-7-12]

a few questions about this..
would you recommend using ext2 or ext4 for this?
also redoing the phone(ODIN, shabbymod, kernals, etc.) is required? or can you use your current settings on your phone and just redo the sd such as creating back up, sd format and recreate the ext2 or ext4 partition?

at the moment im on shabbymod .9, shabby kernel (closing backdoor), hroark's ext4 kernel cwm, and my custom theme with ciq remover (not the updated ciq remover). and my ext4 is on link2sd.

Upvote 0
Should I move apps to sd card with titanium back up if its an option ? Will it make a difference ?
if you have installed this, all non-system apps are on sd card. moving with titanuim or any other program may cause conflicts.

also redoing the phone(ODIN, shabbymod, kernals, etc.) is required? or can you use your current settings on your phone and just redo the sd such as creating back up, sd format and recreate the ext2 or ext4 partition?

at the moment im on shabbymod .9, shabby kernel (closing backdoor), hroark's ext4 kernel cwm, and my custom theme with ciq remover (not the updated ciq remover). and my ext4 is on link2sd.
if you are using link2sd already, you can just unlink all apps and install dt a2sd. no need to partition or flash again, your phone is already set up to handle this. ext4 is preferred to ext2 for data protection (4 has journaling).

Upvote 0

everyone uses different settings.. i recommend doing it fresh so u can get all the apps installed correctly Fresh & Then Dalvik Rebuild & Move Once All Is Installed 2 Get The Most Space..... But u can use your current settings.... I just do everything fresh 2 notice space differences & cuz i keep all my apps on SD... if your sd is already partitioned theres no need 2 redo it unless u had link2sd & still have apps on there (ext2/3/4)... but i still dont think re doing the whole thing is needed for the link2sd app removing...

Ext4: Has Journalizing. Ext2: Doesnt.. Didn't Notice Any Big Difference...

im using

shabbymod .9 with my added scripts, theme, etc.
hoark kernel, hroark's ext4 cache, cw,

SD Card
8GB class 10
Partition #1: fat32=7.05GB.
Partition #2: ext 2=890mb

Dont Go Past 900Mb On 2nd Partition Size... On Lower Class Memory Cards Less Then Class 10 Try Around 500-700MB... It Should Work @ 890Mb Tops... Any Class But Some Apps Can Bug Out The Higher U Go.... With Lower Class SD Cards, The More Unstable Apps Get When Increasing The SD Space Larger...

I Tested With Lower Class SD & Became Unstable While Running Apps After 900mb To 1.5GB...
Anywhere From 500mb To 700mb Should Be More Than Enough For Any Class...

Reactions: protegemini
Upvote 0
everyone uses different settings.. i recommend doing it fresh so u can get all the apps installed correctly Fresh & Then Dalvik Rebuild & Move Once All Is Installed 2 Get The Most Space..... But u can use your current settings.... I just do everything fresh 2 notice space differences & cuz i keep all my apps on SD... if your sd is already partitioned theres no need 2 redo it unless u had link2sd & still have apps on there (ext2/3/4)... but i still dont think re doing the whole thing is needed for the link2sd app removing...

Ext4: Has Journalizing. Ext2: Doesnt.. Didn't Notice Any Big Difference...

im using

shabbymod .9 with my added scripts, theme, etc.
hoark kernel, hroark's ext4 cache, cw,

SD Card
8GB class 10
Partition #1: fat32=7.05GB.
Partition #2: ext 2=890mb

Dont Go Past 900Mb On 2nd Partition Size... On Lower Class Memory Cards Less Then Class 10 Try Around 500-700MB... It Should Work @ 890Mb Tops... Any Class But Some Apps Can Bug Out The Higher U Go.... With Lower Class SD Cards, The More Unstable Apps Get When Increasing The SD Space Larger...

I Tested With Lower Class SD & Became Unstable While Running Apps After 900mb To 1.5GB...
Anywhere From 500mb To 700mb Should Be More Than Enough For Any Class...
dont see you on here as much, I am very glad you kept looking into this.
You know how much this helps our phones.:D

Reactions: murderousone
Upvote 0
dont see you on here as much, I am very glad you kept looking into this.
You know how much this helps our phones.:D
thanks optimus...

yea been pretty busy with work & working on other projects...

created a streaming mobile website that supports streaming mobile movies & most of the stuff from here just for the prevail...

& also built a adnroid app for that site for wifi users.. just haven't added the app to the android market... still testing it & adding stuff...

also working on trying to get the root, shabby & a2sd all in one installed right from the browser.... or maybe by creating a app for it & install it that way...

ill open some new threads when i get em actually working & tested..

Links 2 site & app Is on my signature if u wanna check it out...

Upvote 0
thanks optimus...

yea been pretty busy with work & working on other projects...

created a streaming mobile website that supports streaming mobile movies & most of the stuff from here just for the prevail...

& also built a adnroid app for that site for wifi users.. just haven't added the app to the android market... still testing it & adding stuff...

also working on trying to get the root, shabby & a2sd all in one installed right from the browser.... or maybe by creating a app for it & install it that way...

ill open some new threads when i get em actually working & tested..

Links 2 site & app Is on my signature if u wanna check it out...

thanks will do that

Upvote 0
thanks will do that
cool.. most of the stuff on the mobile site works strait thru the default browsers... movies load thru browser also on 3g & wifi.. 3g just have to wait about 30-40 secs for movies 2 load... for the app is wifi only & it loads the movies thru the app for easier viewing but is for viewing vids & radio on the site.... it also works on iphones & Android for the mobile site & app.. App has its own radio streaming service & Videos, & also links to here & also my other sites... i add ill add more stuff to the app as i acquire.. When app gets updated it will b the same link & just replacing will add the new features....radio also works on 3g & also all the other features except the video on app... just a heads up if u use the site or test the app

Upvote 0
considering that i will be moving dalvic cache to sd what size do you recommend for ext sd partition?

i use a 4 gb memory card.
it will depend alot on how many apps you will be putting on.

you could go with 256mb if you only have 1-10 apps or 384mbs if you use 11-20 or 512mb for more then that.
Thats just rough rule of thumb.

Upvote 0
thanks guys. will try it soon enough.
i currently use 4gb memory card with about 2gb for ext4 lol. didnt experience much bugs or anything though.

2GB card i've used 500mb or Less..

4gb Ive Used 700mb or less..

for my 8gb i used 890mb

32Gb ive used 1.5GB..

u will notice the difference with certain apps with larger sizes, so maybe thats y u didnt experience bugs with 2gb partition..

but thats basically a over kill & u wont need 2GB for apps...

Upvote 0
i was wondering does this app "kickout" or what may cause it to.. reason i ask if i have completely wiped the phone twice and installed this app it works fine for a couple of days then overnite it seems i get the same problem that i had before the exact same problem the dalvik jumps off sd card then..the a2sd repair doesn't work to solve the problem ...i really enjoy the app when it works and i would hope to enjoy it longer ..so any help would be appreciated i had posted terminal shots previously the information is basically the same so i am wondering does any one know of something i may need to do differently other than re install linkd2sd ..:thinking:

Upvote 0
ok so im setting this up and i have a few questions.

What do i format my sd card too?
2 partitions one fat32 the other ext3/4?
both primary?

If i format my sd card and reinstall it do i have to redo my entire phone? will i get a butt ton of FC?

no just your sd card... u dont need 2 redo entire phone.. u partition your sd into 2 partitions fat32 and ext/2/3/4.. both primary.. everyone uses different ext for 2nd partition but u can use any... im on ext2

then u can install the .zip thru cwm following the instructions on da 1st thread....

Upvote 0
no just your sd card... u dont need 2 redo entire phone.. u partition your sd into 2 partitions fat32 and ext/2/3/4.. both primary.. everyone uses different ext for 2nd partition but u can use any... im on ext2

then u can install the .zip thru cwm following the instructions on da 1st thread....

ok well i did this but im not sure if its working? I think the theme im using ihas some issues with text on background because some of the text does not show up untill i press on it!!

Upvote 0
simple green bloods

when i click the first option it says apps are on internal storage
it asks if im sure
something flashes on the bottom of the screen and it defaults back to apps are on internal storage

this is why i don't think its working for me

2gig card
2 partitions fat32/ext2 both primary

did u mount system & data in cwm wen u installed a2sd? also what u saw on da bottom that poped up is normal.. but your apps should say its on sd..

Upvote 0
did u mount system & data in cwm wen u installed a2sd? also what u saw on da bottom that poped up is normal.. but your apps should say its on sd..

no because what i read in the first post that was not needed unless you had an ext4 setup??

fo some reason i did a reboot a few times and selected that option afgain and now its working!

Go Figure

Reactions: murderousone
Upvote 0
no because what i read in the first post that was not needed unless you had an ext4 setup??

fo some reason i did a reboot a few times and selected that option afgain and now its working!

Go Figure

yea it was problably the app just buggin.. try the dalvik rebuild & move to sdext now & that should save some more space... glad it works now

Reactions: weirdfate
Upvote 0
yea it was problably the app just buggin.. try the dalvik rebuild & move to sdext now & that should save some more space... glad it works now

Ha funny i just did that and cringed the entire time cause i jsut got the theme to work correctly and i have an addictions and cant stop flashing shit on my phones!!:D:eek::D

damn i got a boot loop!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones