2. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

Updated on July 21st, 2011.
    anthony2312 and SUroot like this.
  3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Hey guys and gals..

Our root sticky (This one) will soon be replaced by the following:

This is our opportunity again to put our stamp on it...

Currently it looks like this: I have put my comments below in greem too. What do you guys think?

General Information

Root terminology is more advanced than ours. Good time to replace it. The "what is root" is covered by the rooting FAQ I feel.

Should Stock ROM list point to Shipped roms?

Overclocking / Underclocking / Undervolting

What about adding antutu CPU master?

Tools & Utilities

Maybe just keep the root tools thread here and amalgamate with the below?

Perhaps we could recommend root apps here instead? Not sure about "ROM Toolbox" though

4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Shipped-ROMs is definitely better than that XDA thread for RUUs. Not only has the XDA list not been updated for more than a year, but I think the CDMA RUUs are for the wrong phone! Shipped-ROMs use HTC codenames, so the Desire CDMA is Bravo_C rather than Desire (which was the codename for the Droid Eris).

How about something like:

where the links are to the appropriate shipped-ROMs collections (though it's not much of a collection for CDMA - does anyone know a better one?)
    SUroot likes this.
  5. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Well-Known Member

I actually wish i had something constructive to say here, but i found the current guide great, things can only get better eh!

if i think of anything, I'll be sure to let you know.
    SUroot likes this.
  6. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

im very happy with that, very happy indeed.
    looks very logical
  7. Hadron

Hi Dan,

Just comparing this to the new sticky, and maybe some of the tools and utilities links are worth preserving (though like you I'm not sure about ROM Toolbox)? Apart from SetCPU, Ti and Root Explorer would be the first 2 root apps that come to mind, so I don't see the harm in linking those - we've recommended them often enough :)

Anything else I'd add? QSI isn't really a root app, but it's one we've recommended often enough when trying to diagnose problems that maybe it's worth a link? I've had a browse through my own app drawer and don't see so much else.

Did you reckon Scary Alien's "what is root" was too, well, scary? ;)
  8. SUroot

Do you mean the "what does rooting mean?" Thread? If so thought it was just repeating what was in the rooting faq.

Don't want duplicate info so if you want both, feel free to strip the rooting faq.

I'm just a bit concerned its a bit of a mess right now so I'm having to point people to my signature rather than the sticky until its sorted. It's not ideal so whatever it takes to get it right and not have two guides and general info sections....
  9. Hadron

Agreed that one place is better, and I'm not stripping the rooting FAQ! ;)

At the moment the wretched Phandroid app won't let me look at this thread - just gives "error". Think I'm going to have to Tapatalk after all...
  10. SUroot

Tapatalk is not without its quirks. It's 100 times better than Phandroid though. I'm not sure 15 minutes trial is long enough.

Bullet points are the most annoying as they don't list, they display in rows like normal text.
  11. Hadron

Yeah, that's rubbish but I'm used to the XDA app so not such a shock.

At least I can read this thread! Also Phandroid has started sucking cpu in the background, even though I have the old version. So the time has come :)
  12. SUroot

It's amazing after a while how we ever survived with Phandroid app...
    Hadron likes this.
  13. ducky1979

ducky1979 Well-Known Member

Awesome job, much neater, well done,
    Is it also worth adding a troubleshooting section?
    Ie, things to try if something isn't working? Like linking to terminal emulator, gps test?
    Probably not but just wondering?
    shauny13 and Hadron like this.
  14. Hadron

I've been trying to educate myself about the "standard sticky", and as I currently grok it (sorry, it's late!) I think that a troubleshooting guide added to the guides section would be fine, but an extra section in the sticky would be more controvertial.

Dan, I'm guessing the main motivation for your proposal in post 8 vs post 4 is flattening the structure and removing subsections whose names match the first 2 sections? I think that's completely cool, as well as much neater.

Please, anyone else with ideas do chip in. The purpose of the sticky is to serve the needs of the forum, so we need your thoughts.
  15. SUroot

Yes indeed but also to remove as much duplication as well. For example, there's sdk download and adb stuff which we already have.

I personally would like exactly that post and nothing else from the new sticky. Then just anything else the desire community could add
  16. Hadron

The SDK download is a particularly visible difference. I guess it's a trade-off between visibility and duplication. ADB should be obvious from the title "[FAQ] ADB and Fastboot", so that one seems a clearer-cut example of something that can be tidied up.

Google apps is the odd one to me - very necessary for just one ROM, but it's a very widely known ROM. I think that I regard that as an oddity of CM rather than something people need generally, so not so important to include in the sticky (unless we feel that there's a chance that people who flash CM without noticing that it doesn't include gapps would go here without being directed - long shot in my opinion! :))
  17. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

Hadron, a troubleshooting guide would be an excellent addition, good idea.
  18. nicka3200

nicka3200 Well-Known Member

I would suggest that a troubleshooting guide should include, or link to, a guide to how to apply a RUU through fastboot including instructions to apply the downgrade hboot if a custom hboot had been applied.

When I had to return my phone for repair (wouldn't boot) I had no idea:confused:
  19. SUroot

It's actually duckys idea.

We could link to bortaks troubleshooting guide on xda. Senseless doing all the work again?

I don't think I have the time to do sb SUroot style one....

Although we could list all the scenarios and collaborate on Google docs or something
    ducky1979 and Hadron like this.
  20. shauny13

ah, thanks to Ducky, but also Hadron and your good self for all the hard work.
    Hadron likes this.
  21. SUroot

But not me? :(
  22. shauny13

and i quote from my last post

"and your good self", aimed at you Dan.
    SUroot likes this.
  23. SUroot