• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Disappointed in Sprints lack of EVO advertising

Why advertise a phone that is 3 weeks away from launch when preorders have already sold all of their initial shipment anyways? The average consumer that just walks in a buys a phone is looking at over a month before they could get their hands on one. I would expect advertising to start in about 2 weeks. With the $$ HTC and Sprint have put into this phone, they will need to sell a lot of them. Sprint has a lot riding on this one phone.

Upvote 0
Why do people care how hard Sprint advertises this phone? If faced with the options of either everyone and their mothers owning the phone or next to know one owning it, I would prefer to be part of the special minority. I'm buying the phone for me, I could care less whether or not everyone else owns one.

Upvote 0
Seeing a lot of Droid commercials here in Los Angeles on broadcast TV, but no Evo spots. Sprint, like everyone else, is going up against a giant, so far dominant company in Apple. Where I work, the IPhone outnumbers other smartphones, followed by Blackberrys...not one Android OS phone there that I know of. Most people have clamshell/cheapie carrier type phones...like I do.

So I'm going to walk in there with my Evo and melt some eyeballs..just me doing my part for the cause. Sprint seems to be counting on the Net for now..but they surely have some strategic advertising coming up near launch and it may very well be make or break for Sprint...I think theyre going to win the toss of the dice.
This is a truly historic phone..Apple has been playing all by itself all this time..and time is up.

Upvote 0
Why do people care how hard Sprint advertises this phone? If faced with the options of either everyone and their mothers owning the phone or next to know one owning it, I would prefer to be part of the special minority. I'm buying the phone for me, I could care less whether or not everyone else owns one.
It is a team thing. You root for your team.

But lets face facts. When sprint comes out with a new product they usually do it against a major competitor and always lose. Look how apple is ripping them up this week. Google news, clicking on the evo 4g topic under tech. There are 64 links under the topic Sprint htc evo 4g, coming from the tech section of google news.

Only 16 of the 64 are about the evo.

The other 48 topics are about the apple iphone 4g. Which is not even do for release for another month and will not be announced for 3 weeks. 3 weeks from release and apple is pwnd sprint with a product that has not even been announced.

This is why they need to use all their power at release. They will bearly be heard if they do. But they will be heard. Sprint has proved to be just stupid with marketing and will continue to fail at it for years to come.

Upvote 0
I have said it before & I will say it again, "people" ( not us but them you know the general public) have no long term memory. I would like to think that Sprint is going to spend the whole ad budget on big stuff closer to or even right after the launch. People need to see this phone every time they turn around, EVERY time. Sprint has a golden opportunity to ditch all of the past negative press they still suffer from.

As far as wanting this phone to take off and be as, and maybe even more successfull than the iphone,... well for me its simple, the more popular the phone, the more extra stuff is available for it, whether it be cases, docks. apps, you name it, everyone wants to have the popular toys, "but Moooom, Timmy got an EVO, I want one too", That is the phrase that Dan Hesse wants to hear all summer.

If June rolls around, and you can cross the street or channel surf without seeing a 4G or specific EVO ad, then I will be a little more dissapointed, but I would like to see them BLAST the market with marketing come June.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones