• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do we have root?

And hackers aren't smart enough to find a way around it? I wonder how many of them would actually be working on this. Breaking this would bring instant reputation.

I've print screened and saved your comment just in case for memories sake. :p

Lest the thread spiral towards off topic land, I'll refer you to official droid x encrypted bootloader efuse thread

where this is all discussed ad nausuem, but let me just add that, YES its possible to hack (anything is), YES we hope it will happen, NO it is not likely to happen in the normal life of the device ie. the next year or so (ref: Moto Milestone)

Upvote 0
Lest the thread spiral towards off topic land, I'll refer you to official droid x encrypted bootloader efuse thread

where this is all discussed ad nausuem, but let me just add that, YES its possible to hack (anything is), YES we hope it will happen, NO it is not likely to happen in the normal life of the device ie. the next year or so (ref: Moto Milestone)

I truly believe the Milestone wasn't cracked because it didn't have a big enough user base. The Droid X is an extremely popular phone and has some of the best android hackers working on it. Do I think it'll be cracked? I can only hope so. You may be right and you may be wrong, but I hope you're wrong (no offense).

Upvote 0
I truly believe the Milestone wasn't cracked because it didn't have a big enough user base. The Droid X is an extremely popular phone and has some of the best android hackers working on it. Do I think it'll be cracked? I can only hope so. You may be right and you may be wrong, but I hope you're wrong (no offense).

hell, I hope I'm wrong too. Just being reasonable, encryption is tough.

Upvote 0
So, what happens if Motorola/Verizon issue an OTA update tomorrow? Will that un-root? Will it bring back the bloatware apps that we hide?

I'd certainly welcome any further OTA fixes, but I really don't want to root and get used to all the things I'd get from root, only to find out that when the next OTA comes, root is gone.

Do OTAs typically un-root rooted phones?

Upvote 0
Never used Titanium. Does freezing just hide them from the applocker or does it also stop them from running (if they start up at boot already) entirely?

Is there an un-freeze in Titanium that just reverses the process?

It keeps them from running, and yes there is "de-frost" I believe it's called, just reverses it. Makes it very simple.

Upvote 0
So, what happens if Motorola/Verizon issue an OTA update tomorrow? Will that un-root? Will it bring back the bloatware apps that we hide?

I'd certainly welcome any further OTA fixes, but I really don't want to root and get used to all the things I'd get from root, only to find out that when the next OTA comes, root is gone.

Do OTAs typically un-root rooted phones?

It may unroot. To be safe you can disable OTA's by renaming the "otacerts.zip" file (rename to otacerts.zip.bak or what ever you want) in the /system/etc/security folder.

You can get access to these folders via root explorer a wonderful app now availible to the rooted Dx user

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones