• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does this mean Triumph is getting Jelly Bean?

I would say no, like mentioned it is virgin mobile, and the device probably doesn't have "enough" users for them to justify spending the time to produce it. Thats why they're offering $100 towards one of the new Razrs: Razr HD, Razr - M, or Razr Maxx HD. If you don't plan on getting one of them then you won't see the $100.

That is what I read at least. I will be very surprised if the MT gets jb to be honest

Upvote 0
I really believe that we are going to get Jelly Bean. Maybe I am crazy because of all the coding lately but why wouldn't they do it? It's not like they don't have the in-house expertise to upgrade the kernel, and the lib files. I mean all of us MT Developers have done all the heavy lifting they just have to plug in there little propitiate files, build, and DONE!

Yeah I think I am seeing Jelly Bean in my future!!!!

It'll never happen. They may have the expertise but zero incentive. The MT is on the downswing of its lifecycle and there is no $ in it. They will not assign devs a task on a device that will not generate more income. And by 'MT Developers' I hope you dont mean the devs on these forums? There is no way a company would assume a rom created by hobbyists was good to go and release it as their own. The lawsuits would be to the moon.

As somebody pointed out - at best we would be offered $100 credit for our MTs. Better to sell it privately for $120 cash!

I loved my MT but the flaky GPS drove me crazy. I cant tell you the amount of times Ive been driving and the thing would not get a fix when I really needed it. Last week, I jumped ship to the EVO and flashed to a stripped down rom (no VM junk). Im loving ICS and 'Google Now' and the instant GPS. I did lose my $25 plan but it made little difference because paying $25 a month for a device that wasn't working as it should was a bigger issue to me.

Upvote 0
It'll never happen. They may have the expertise but zero incentive. The MT is on the downswing of its lifecycle and there is no $ in it. They will not assign devs a task on a device that will not generate more income. And by 'MT Developers' I hope you dont mean the devs on these forums? There is no way a company would assume a rom created by hobbyists was good to go and release it as their own. The lawsuits would be to the moon.

As somebody pointed out - at best we would be offered $100 credit for our MTs. Better to sell it privately for $120 cash!

I loved my MT but the flaky GPS drove me crazy. I cant tell you the amount of times Ive been driving and the thing would not get a fix when I really needed it. Last week, I jumped ship to the EVO and flashed to a stripped down rom (no VM junk). Im loving ICS and 'Google Now' and the instant GPS. I did lose my $25 plan but it made little difference because paying $25 a month for a device that wasn't working as it should was a bigger issue to me.

i think G60 was speaking on terms like if the motorola team is going to each device like can this run JB, then for ours it's 100% yes it can, our MTDEV team already has JB running on our device, all Motorola would technically have to do is input the files or give them to a dev and we could have Full JB, and while they probly wouldnt do either, it still atleast shows that the device can handle it

i personally think its very much going to depend on how many people still own a triumph, cause if Thousands of people still have it they would save money by upgrading it and not shelling out $100 to each person

That being said again im not going to try and hold my breath lol, and even if they did release Official JB id only have it installed as long as it took for a MTDEV-JB to spring up lol

Upvote 0
my lilttle brother was telling me about an article he read on his lepan tablet website, apparently with the number of smartphones and tablets, alot of devices havent been getting updates, of course the triumph is worse then most with it, other devices normally get security or firmware updates every now and then

but my little brother bought the lepan 2 when it first cam out and it was supposed to be able to get an ics upgrade right from the get go, that tablet didnt get the ICS update until like 2 weeks ago and it was only the 7th tablet to get the ICS update

The best part is about a week and a half after he bought the tablet, his exact tablet was available with ICS on it already, yet his which came with honeycomb needed to wait 4 months till it was able to get the upgrade, and Now theres Jellybean lol

and while most of what ive been saying is about a tablet its been the same for alot of phones as well, the companies have been failing to put out updates in alot of cases and if you think about it, its all about money

if you buy a $300 phone like the triumph and it got updates often then by now we would already have official JB on our phones, but that means as long as were happy were not giving them more $$$, so they only get $300, BUT if you have a $300 phone like the triumph that gets 0 updates and never gets an android update even tho it was sold saying it would then eventually your going to ditch it for a better phone by them or a different manufacturer

so then you offer the people $100 for there $300 phone so they feel like there atleast getting something, and they must use that 100 towards a new motorola phone, the cheapest of which i think ive seen is the Razr M for $100, so again the people think there winning when its basically a free Upgrade which contract companies give there customers every 2 years or something

then a year or so from now they can do something similar to try and keep people coming back to them

Upvote 0
I just spoke to Motorola support. All dumbo could tell me was to sign up for the news to see if my phone would be eligible for the upgrade. He couldn't give me any sort of time frame on when I would find out.

FWIW, in my case, the support rep. told me the $100 promo gift card would only be applicable to the Motorola RAZR M which is on Verizon. Even if Verizon would pick up at my home I'm not going back to contract.

Just more empty promises :(

Upvote 0
I don't think Motorola itself knows what to do. They have this guy going up on the stage and saying Motorola is committed blah blah blah, we love you, please love us back, typical presentation BS, like one of those "revolutionary" phone with non-working maps. Then he says if we can't deliver we will give you $100. Then he goes back to the headquarters and says, screw them, let's make a footnote so no one can sues us.
I can count at least 5 devices from Moto that was abandoned without any explanation (whoever bought GPS from Moto I feel you pain, guys!). They lost any credibility long time ago. Even Google doesn't want them for what is worth. All Google wanted is patents, they got them and now they getting rid of them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones