Droid Maxx 4.4 Kit Kat BugsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kmwhiten

kmwhiten Well-Known Member

I wanted to start this thread to report any bugs on 4.4. I personally have not got the update yet.

Advertisement
  2. frodub

frodub Well-Known Member

- When connected to my car via Bluetooth, I can no longer use the volume controls on my phone to control the volume... It's all done through the vehicle now. I have not tried this with any other Bluetooth devices yet.

- SMS messages are supposed to be able to transfer to my vehicle's(subaru) in-dash touchscreen unit, but messages still are not receiving.

- Completely locked up once and needed soft reset, but has been behaving well since.

- no transparent notification panel at the top (not a bug, just a letdown)

If there's anything else you guys would like me to test or try out, let me know
  3. Somniferum

Somniferum Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI, you can get the transparent notification bar via Nova Launcher or GEL now that we have KitKat. I know some people don't like third-party launchers but it is an option.
  4. kmwhiten

I dont really like this part. My first Maxx locked up and then it would only get to the Moto screen :'(
  5. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

From a message by Motorola's Punit Soni on Google+ announcing the availability of the update, this was deliberate based on requirements from Verizon. They wanted the stock status bars, including the "Holo blue" color for the icons. On the good side, that also means that the icons also show network activity using animated arrows, which was removed from the network status icons on the Nexus devices and the Motorola X.
  6. Einsteindks

Einsteindks Well-Known Member

Touchless control was out/locked up for a little while, but seems to be working fine now
  7. lewwill

lewwill Well-Known Member

I can't say I am unhappy about not having the transparent status bars with white icons. I like the black bar and holo blue. More information and easier to see.
    Einsteindks likes this.
  8. kmwhiten

Have they pulled the update because it was bricking phones? I haven't got the update yet. I am in Athens GA.
  9. Fruban

Fruban Well-Known Member

Still waiting for my update too on my Maxx. My droid mini got it the first day... But that's my work phone which I barely use.
  10. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

FoxFi doesn't seem to work with 4.4 also I keep getting a warning that my network may be monitored by FoxFi. I can't seem to clear that warning.
  11. Cincybearcatfan

GEL launcher no longer responds to Okay Google. I went into settings and listen for hot words is checked.
  12. Cincybearcatfan

13. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

It works for me.

I recorded "OK Droid Now" and can say "OK Droid" "weather" to get the cur4ednt weather report.

I also use the new option to turn off the acknowledgement feedback tone.

I pause very briefly between "OK Droid" and "whatever the command".

For me it is an improvement over Jelly Bean.

... Thom
    jimd1050 likes this.
  14. Cincybearcatfan

Okay Google Now works for me without issue now as well. It is only a problem when using the GEL. Prior to 4.4 I could say "Okay Google" from any homescreen and the listening feature would activate. Now that I have 4.4 it no longer works that way. I have to say "Okay Google Now" and it goes to the Motorola black screen with the red dot in the center and says "Yes Jeff" as it always has.

Can you get "Okay Google" to work on the GEL?
  15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

That was reported by Moto X users after the KitKat update, so it's not surprising that it doesn't work on the Ultra series, either. The launcher was created for the Nexus 5 exclusively and not meant for other devices, so it's probably not surprising that it doesn't work.

Frankly, I'd just not use the launcher or wait until Google releases a version generally in the play store, as they did the keyboard, if they ever do.
  16. Cincybearcatfan

Dooglad, with your thoughts and opinions on here I'd think you work for Verizon or Motorola. ;)

You've been more than clear about your opinion of side loading apps that are not meant/designed for our phone, rooting and modifying anything to work with our phone. Just letting anyone that doesn't hold to your opinions know that have used the GEL know if they are having issues, they are not alone. :)
  17. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I don't use GEL (Google Experience Launcher) so I don't know.

I use NLP (Nova Launcher Prime) and it has never been a problem.

... Thom
  18. Cincybearcatfan

I am currently using NLP also bit that's due to the issues with GEL. I really used the page to the left of my homepage. I realize that it's the same thing as dragging the home button up on the arc but I liked it better. Oh well.
  19. Cincybearcatfan

I thought there was a thread dedicated to apps that don't work with Kit Kat but I can't find it so here goes. Chase Mobile app no longer has the option to deposit checks.
  20. orcsbane13

orcsbane13 Well-Known Member

USB OTG native support is gone as well. I have to use a 3rd party app now to access my menova USB drive.
  21. Cincybearcatfan

I remembered that holding down the recent apps button acts as a menu button when a menu isn't present. Now I have the ability to deposit checks again in the Chase Mobile app.
  22. matt5951

matt5951 Member

My hangouts crashed the other day and I had to uninstall updates to get it to work. Re-installed the updates later in the day and it has been fine. Not sure if this was KK related, but it never happened before.

Other than that things seem ok, though the battery seems worse.
  23. LizMac

LizMac Well-Known Member

looking forward to trying this update. Not available for me yet. I'm in Eastern TN. Verizon. :kicks can: just waiting......
  24. Robweis

Robweis Member

Is there a step by step how to get kitkat without the Verizon update
  25. Robweis

Robweis Member

Good luck with that