• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid X- Droid RAZR review

So me and my girl went to look at the RAZR.. i really had no intintions of getting rid of my X as i love it, But i was well past my update and decided to have a peek. I couldnt believe how thin and light it was, as just about everyone thats picked it up has said, and the build quality is amazing. So as a early Christmas gift my girl suprised me with my new RAZR.

I didnt even mind the screen, as it was the number one thing i wanted to check out at the store before ordering online, as my girls X2 i cant stand. The colors look fine to me i notice the slight off whiteness that people talk about but i guess im just not that picky to care.. yes its not a perfect white and yes the screen doesnt look as good as the iphone 4 sitting a few feet from the razr, but for me it was more then acceptable.

I notcie that the blacks are by far ... blacker?? lol. I use a app called night clock as a nightstand clock and my X glows at night and my RAZR does not.. its just a pure black screen... Yes it does have the blochyness that im reading ALL super AMOLED screens have. so for ME the screen is acceptable

Speed... FAST.. i can watch a movie off netflix at my job with very little buffering, and i mean very little, one movie loaded right up with no pixelation at all, where as my X would have pixelation thruout the whole movie.. 2 days so far ive watch netflix and both days its been the same.. apps open fast, screens swipe fast and smooth even the unlock screen has no lag.. somthing im more then used to with the og droid and my X...

Data.. i dont have LTE in my area, and honestly have no clue when it will get here.. the guy at the store said they are building the tower a few miles down the road, Verizion says early to mid part of next year.. either way most of my data is on wifi, which loads web pages fast... very fast.. as long as im at my parents house on verizon VIOS.. speedtest.net app shows 19mbps average where as my X showed about 18 on average.. which i dont think has anything to do with the phone itself but both phones on wifi downloading the same page the RAZR kicks butt everytime, by a good bit too. Quadrant on my X was around 1750's this RAZR has been around 2650 with a best of 2790 and a worst of 2560..

Battery life... as would be expected on the first day it didnt last long, i used it up setting up my RAZR to look just like my X.. i wanted it to be as close the same as possable as its been a 1 1/2 project setting up my X.. so i did my usual and got zeam luancher and my apps off market.. it synced my contacts, and then pretty much told me its time to charge.. 15%.. i charged it fully over night and got a 4 1/2 hour day, a movie and a half, and lots of web browsing with the screen on full bright, which is a bit better then my X, before i plugged in. Today at least 8 hrs with half at full dim and a pretty heavy usage day as i was waiting around for my contacts, total i got 15 hours with a 1hr and 15 min charge once it hit 40%.. so for me the battery is doing just fine

Camera... wtf.. i didnt buy a cellphone for a camera.. i dont get what all these people that are complaining about picture quality are all about.. its a cellphone.. carry a DSLR if you want picture quality.. that being said i find the camera very fast and more than acceptable for taking cellphone pics.. video is great too.. if im taking photo frame perfect pics, then ill pull out my nikon or panisonic cameras.. geeez.. front facing camera isnt amazing but none of them are, like i said im not picky about these things and some people are. I downloaded tango for facetime calling or whatever.. and it worked used my moms Iphone 4 and the funny thing is her side keeped freezing lol, my side was pretty fluid but not movie picture quality by no means..

Getting hot... ive read some people state the screens are getting hot... one even said hot enough to be scared of getting burnt and was uncomfortable to hold and talk.. Im not getting any of these problems.. If i used pandora and charged the X at the same time it would get pretty hot not warm but hot.. so far the RAZR has gotten midly warm.. and i mean mildly its bearly noticable and im wondering if i wouldve ever noticed it at all have i not read those coments. its so much cooler then my X has been its another plus for me..

Ill update this if i need to, in general i feel i made a great upgrade and love my RAZR, on a sore note i bought my girlfriend a Iphone 4S yesterday as a suprise, i told her how great the X2 shouldve been when it came out and she hated it, so i thought id suprise her as she suprised me with this phone after i looked at it.. I dont feel bad or that ive made a mistake by not waiting for the rezound, or gnex.. and im sure me and the RAZR will have a great relationship for the next 2 years

P.S. i suck at typing and my grammar and spelling suck too.. sorry :(

Camera... wtf.. i didnt buy a cellphone for a camera.. i dont get what all these people that are complaining about picture quality are all about.. its a cellphone.. carry a DSLR if you want picture quality.. that being said i find the camera very fast and more the acceptable for taking cellphone pics.. video is great too.. if im taking photo frame perfect pics, then ill pull out my nikon or panisonic cameras.. geeez.. front facing camera is amazing but none of them are, like i said im not picky about these things and some people are. I downloaded tango for facetime calling or whatever.. and it worked used my moms Iphone 4 and the funny thing is her side keeped freezing lol, my side was pretty fluid but not movie picture quality by no means..

because it is not practical for someone to stuff a DSLR in their pocket. I understand that is totally your opinion and you have all the right to feel that way but trust me on this....there are more people than not that feel the opposite way you do.

I hate the camera on the moto phones. I hate having to retake every pic because the first one looks like krap.

Reactions: pool_shark
Upvote 0
because it is not practical for someone to stuff a DSLR in their pocket. I understand that is totally your opinion and you have all the right to feel that way but trust me on this....there are more people than not that feel the opposite way you do.

I hate the camera on the moto phones. I hate having to retake every pic because the first one looks like krap.

Personally I find little issue with the camera on this phone... or the camera on the Droid X. In my opinion, it's not practical to expect consistently sharp, vibrant pictures from a glorified pinhole camera with LED flash. The optics provided simply aren't capable of dealing with every possible lighting condition and situation.

Are there others smartphones with better cameras? Absolutely... and there are other smartphones with worse cameras. Maybe I'm in the minority but I buy a smartphone to be a phone and mobile computing platform... not a still/video camera.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm in the minority but I buy a smartphone to be a phone and mobile computing platform... not a still/video camera.

Me too. I use my handset for business strictly. My Droid snapped a total of 10 pics in 2 years lol.

Pics were fine on that phone. A pic from a phone is a pic from a phone.

I've yet to meet anyone who uses their smart phone to take professional pics.
Cameras on phones nowadays are all pretty compatible. Some are better than others yes but overall you snap a shot, it's focused and you know what the heck you are looking at. People want high quality professional pics. Buy a camera and if that doesn't take great pics, complain.

Upvote 0

I'm with you. I'm so sick of people using the excuse of "it's a cell phone first". Of course it is, but that doesn't mean the camera should suck, it just means it shouldn't be expected to perform as well as an expensive digital camera. There are phones with really good cameras, which means it can't be that difficult.
It's a cell phone first, does that mean I shouldn't get upset if the data doesn't work?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones