• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid X rebooting everytime it's connected to a computer

This happening to anyone else? It's getting VERY annoying. I'm running Froyo, and normally I'm connecting as a mass USB storage. Everytime I connect it, the phone reboots before I can use it via USB at all. ANy fixes out there?

You aren't using Desktop Visualizer with Launcher Pro by any chance, are you?

At any rate, I had the same problem and was on the verge of looking for another phone out of frustration. But I bit the bullet, did a factory reset and restored most of my apps & settings. Now my phone is working fine again. Well -- almost fine. Now I can *only* connect via USB mass storage mode, it won't go into "charge only" mode. However, no reboots, and I can access my SD card from the PC again, and it recharges anyway. I just can't use the phone while charging via USB now. I would rather have it this way.

You're likely going to need to factory reset to clear the problem, sad to say. But if you figure out an easier way, let me know. Might as well get it over with and get the frustration behind you.

If you are using Titanium backup, or at least Appbrain, make sure you're ready to restore your apps. Titanium should allow you to restore your data, too, but Appbrain will not I don't think.

One caveat -- I did not restore Desktop Visualizer/Launcher Pro, and I didn't reinstall a portion of apps that I wasn't really using much anyway. Reinstall your apps slowly to be sure you don't get back into the same rut. Now I'm rooted & over clocked and glad not to be rebooting every time I connect my phone via USB. In fact, I had to use EasyTether (via USB) the other day and it worked fine.

~

Upvote 0
I'm using launcher pro, but no desktop visualizer.

It's probably not because of Launcher Pro by itself. A lot of people use it, so if it were the cause I think we would see a lot of people with the same problem. So maybe it's some other app, or another anomaly that occurs w/the phone or Froyo. It seemed to me that my use of DV with LP caused my SD card to respond very slowly, but it could have been something else since it kept happening after I uninstalled them (but the problem started when I started using them together, could be coincidental).

Whatever is causing it, I just decided to try the full reset to give the phone a fresh start and it seems to have worked...so far, at least.

~

Upvote 0
I may try a reset, but I am trying to avoid it. Here is my progress so far today.

In settings I dismounted my SD card, THEN connected it to the computer. That bought me enough time to change the USB connect mode to "PC Mode" and under that I seem to be able to transfer files alright.

Also, there is a program on the phone, and PCs called "Android Manager Wifi" that allows for wireless file transfers. The only problem here though is that it doesn't seem to allow to copy files from the PC to the phone to a SPECIFIC PLACE.

Good conversation here, these forums fix Droid issues.

Upvote 0
I may try a reset, but I am trying to avoid it. Here is my progress so far today.

In settings I dismounted my SD card, THEN connected it to the computer. That bought me enough time to change the USB connect mode to "PC Mode" and under that I seem to be able to transfer files alright.

Also, there is a program on the phone, and PCs called "Android Manager Wifi" that allows for wireless file transfers. The only problem here though is that it doesn't seem to allow to copy files from the PC to the phone to a SPECIFIC PLACE.

Good conversation here, these forums fix Droid issues.

Yeah, I started using Dropbox after my connectivity problems, though I still need to be able to connect to the PC sometimes (and Dropbox is limited). How fast is the Android Manager Wifi? How easy is it to upload to the PC?

If you can fix the problem w/out resetting please let me know. It was just the next and quickest thing I could think of to (hopefully) get it working immediately.

~

Upvote 0
Android manager wifi seems to transfer quickly, and it offers wireless sync also. It's free so try it out.

The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that you can't be specific enough with where the files are transferred to and such. Hard to explain. I probably will use it to pull photos from the phone to the computer though. It's easy to set up also.

Upvote 0
I found this on another forum by rlgoering:

I've tried once and my phone did not reboot, but I need more time to know for sure.

sivs422 hit it on the head for me. I had Angry Birds and 2 other games on the SD card. When I read his post it hit me the reboot only happens when I had been using my phone for a while. *only after I had played the game*. Went into Manage Applications and moved them to the Phone memory, and now after playing with it a while can verify that was my problem. Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones