• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid X2 Links: ROMs, SBFs, OTA updates, Mods and Scripts

Scur

Android Expert
May 1, 2011
Illinois
When doing anything that requires root, you're ALWAYS responsible for any damage to your phone.
You can never blame others.
This has always been law.

sidenote: Tomsgt made bunches of how-to vids for the X2.

Custom ROMs

Froyo 2.2.2

Gingerbread 2.3.3

Gingerbread 2.3.4

Gingerbread 2.3.5

Gingerbread 2.3.6

Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4

Jelly Bean 4.1.1

SBFs
System Binary Files, these are the official stock ROMs which are flashed using RSD

OTA updates
When updating with a zipped OTA file, move to your sdcard (don't unzip) and update from stock recovery. Remember, they will update from one certain version to another certain version only.

Mods and Scripts

I've tried CorteX2 twice and Affinity once, and no luck with either. Maybe I was too far off-stock, what with all the scripts and all. Eclipse works really nice, and I'm loving Alien atm. But they weren't hard to find. They're all over the place, but XDA has them all. All the ones I can find, anyway.

edit: Oh, I think my issue with CorteX2 and Affinity was trying to flash from GB. They're Froyo.

Upvote 0
Well my phone has been unplugged for 12 hours now. I've made about 15 minutes worth of calls, uploaded a couple pics, spent over an hour reading through feeds, another hour or two of other various fiddling around, and I'm at 40% battery now. Not sure how that battery usage is, but it's more than fine for what I need it for.

Upvote 0
Molten is good but it seems each release has a lot of untested bugs discovered, but still love the work Ryman is doing on it.

I'm sticking with Eclipse. Currently running the official 1.2 release right now, but getting ready to try 1.3RC that just came out which has the Bionic camera in it. Actually, I went ahead and pulled the Camera.apk from the 1.3RC and installed it on my 1.2 Eclipse release and I like it.

Battery life seems good with Eclipse, but I'm also running Juice Defender Ultimate which has REALLY helped out with my battery. In fact, Saturday night I forgot to plug in my phone and had to be out of the house for the entire day on Sunday. By the time I got home around 4 pm, I was down to 14% battery which was about 20 hours without charging. This was with texting, playing games, downloading updates and listening to a radio broadcast of an NFL game (for about 10 minutes and then decided it was best NOT to do this as I was already down to about 30% at the time).

Not bad if you ask me.

Upvote 0
Well, just tried Liberty and I'm sticking with this one for now. I love Eclipse, but I love the customization you can do with this ROM. Couple this with the ROM Toolbox Pro app and I'm basking in complete glory as I can change things easily, such as boot animation, battery icon, etc. I know the ROM Toolbox works with any custom ROM, but still, coupled with Liberty, it just feels right for me, which is hard because I've been attached to Eclipse.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. I am really new to Androids and I just recently learned about ROMS and rooting but I don't know how to install a new ROM. My phone is rooted using the OneClickRoot. I have a Droid X2, obviously. And I see that performance with Motoblur is SUPER slow compared to what I have seen on other phones that are just running the stock 2.3.4 Gingerbread.

How to I install a new Rom. I want to give the Naked ROM a try. It seems super simple and thats what I am looking for. Just want to use my phone for texting, calls, internet browsing, music, facebook, navigation, and Youtube. Don't care about overclocking or anything like that. I have a bad ass desktop for that haha!

Upvote 0
To do a backup you need the bootstrap utility program available here:
Droid X2 Bootstrap with Chinese ROM Update Zip - xda-developers
Ignore the part about the Chinese ROM, you just need the APK file.
Once you install it you can check out the youtube video here on how to install it. Basically, you just install the apk file, click install recovery, then plug your phone into a wall charger and click "recovery mode". The phone will boot into recovery mode.

Then, you can select "backup and restore" and choose where you want to set your backups to either the internal or external SD card. I don't think it matters where, just remember where you put it. Once you do so the phone will perform it's thing and do the backup of your current system. You can then install your custom ROMs. To restore you go through the same process, just choose the right options. Use the vol up and down buttons to navigate and the power button to select the option.

Note: This program is also the easiest way to install the custom ROMs. You just save the ROM zip files to your sd card and then choose the option to install zip from SD card to do your ROM installation. It is always recommended to wipe data and cache first before installing a custom ROM.

Reactions: sidewinder767
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what it is but I'm having a difficult time staying with a custom ROM. I am on Molten v2 now but it's like i'm itching to get back to stock. It's like I'm not happy with any of 'em... they take "too much" out. I'll probably flash back to stock before the weekend.. Anyone else feel the same way?

Not I. I can't stand blur for some reason. Make sure you post after a few days on stock with your impressions, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones