• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

jasonacg

Mar 11, 2010
Tampa Bay, FL
Just received a Twitter announcement from Sprint...Android 2.3 is now available for the Galaxy Tab!

I haven't yet received it on my phone, but I'm hoping to see it today. Reading through to community postings at Sprint, it's being phased-in as an OTA update over the next few days, and they are recommending that WiFi be switched off.

If I find a way to expedite the process, I'll post it here. If someone else beats me to it, please share.

Are you holding the volume UP or DOWN button during power-on? You should be using the UP button.

It's also possible you don't have a good copy of update.zip, or it's not in the right folder.

Let us know if any of that helps.

I'm holding the volume up + Power button to get to the recovery menu. Renamed it to Update.zip.

I placed the file right on the SD card (not in any folders). I'll try and redownload it again.

Reactions: conncats
Upvote 0
Just posted in another thread, but here you go. File is in post 138.

Sprint Galaxy Tab getting Stock Gingerbread on JULY 5th! - Page 3 - xda-developers

Edit - I've got gingerbread running on my tab.

I even got Netflix working. Now it was really worth it! :)

Just got the notification this morning while I was at work. Problem is I do not have data hooked up to my Sprint Tab so I will have to wait until I get home to update it :(

Its good to know that Netfix is working Thanks jasonacg

Has anyone seen any issue with it? Anything new?

Upvote 0
Well, I did find a minor issue that Gingerbread broke on my Tab:

In Settings/Applications/Development, the option to keep the device on when plugged into external power, no longer works. The phone will power-off after the idle time is exceeded, whether the option is checked or not.

Apps that are set to keep the device awake, will still do so.

Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. My Epic is doing the same thing on Froyo, but only intermittently. On the Tab, it appears to be a 100% failure of this function.

No other problems discovered yet.

Upvote 0
Well, I did find a minor issue that Gingerbread broke on my Tab:

In Settings/Applications/Development, the option to keep the device on when plugged into external power, no longer works. The phone will power-off after the idle time is exceeded, whether the option is checked or not.

Apps that are set to keep the device awake, will still do so.

Not a big deal, but a minor annoyance. My Epic is doing the same thing on Froyo, but only intermittently. On the Tab, it appears to be a 100% failure of this function.

No other problems discovered yet.

Yeah, I had noticed that as well, but as you said it's a minor annoyance. One thing that's been bugging me is I can't pair my motorola t501 to the tab. I couldn't do when I was rooted and can't do it now on stock gingerbread. I think the update was supposed to fix hid bluetooth pairing, but I still can't get it paired.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones