• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Experiencing GPS issues on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

The GPS Status app seems to help as my gps was not working all of sudden and my yardage to the green was incorrect as I had moved up about 12-15 yards. All I did was start up the GPS Status app and then switch back to the Golf yardage app and it seemed to activate my GPS.

I'll know more tomorrow when I play 18 holes.

Keep you guys posted.

Upvote 0
I just turned off Google location services.

When Maps came up insisting that I use it, I said Skip it.

That also turns off Google collecting location data.

And I need to know if it's just me - but suddenly my phone seems to be responding faster.

I may have hosed aGPS, will have to test it, but so far, it locks instantly and my position is dead on.

Upvote 0
Any time I just use Google Nav directly (inputting the destination or selecting it from my saved destinations) I've never had a problem. I have used it that way dozens of times without issue. However, the only time mine has ever had a problem was when using Google Maps and then choosing to navigate to a selected destination, then telling it to navigate there. Once it opened Google Nav it didn't lock on and I had to exit and restart to get it working. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Ok my GPS problem is solved (hopefully for the next 2 yearsJ. The solution was: get a replacement phone form Sprint. I was able to add insurance so I can get replacement free. Otherwise you have to pay $35 if your phone is 14+days old, LOL.
So the conclusion is: if you GPS signal gets lost randomly and often, and can’t be resolved by resetting the phone, you need a replacement. It’s indeed hardware issue even though I thought it was software glitch. Now I’ve tested GPS extensively on my new phone for 9 days and never a single GPS signal drop. This phone is perfect for me now J
I've been having the same GPS problem since Day One. It's going back to the store. Thanks for posting your story.

Upvote 0
I just turned off Google location services.

When Maps came up insisting that I use it, I said Skip it.

That also turns off Google collecting location data.

And I need to know if it's just me - but suddenly my phone seems to be responding faster.

I may have hosed aGPS, will have to test it, but so far, it locks instantly and my position is dead on.
The GPS works with Google Maps (quickly!), but it no longer has weather information on the Sense home screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones