• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root For those who need help disabling/removing apps (including 2.2) here is a list.

So I'm on a mac, but running windows on parallels. I've installed the android sdk tools, updated the JDK (as I was prompted to do so by ADB), and then typed "adb shell" from within the tools directory. The first time I did this, I received a message about the daemon trying to communicate, then communication was established, but the it failed. Every time since, I receive a message that says "error: no device detected"? I was wondering if you had any suggestions or thoughts? I'm sure there is just something small that I'm missing here?

I've also tried to use root explorer to move the files...but there's another issue? I can see all of the *.apk files for the VZW provided bloatware, but the corresponding *.odex files aren't there. This appears to be specific for JUST the bloatware, as I can see both files for all of my other apps? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Upvote 0
I just rooted my phone and it's now set to S-OFF.

Now I am reading about how to remove all the bloatware and getting all the commands and so on. But in my reading, it seems that Root Explorer will remove them for me? Without all the commands?? Is this true?

I also read somewhere that Titanium also has a built in function to delete and/or move apps. True?

If that is the case, then I am going to stop researching all these stupid commands! I hate playing in cmd, it scares me :(

Can anyone answer this??
Are there any problems removing/uninstalling/freezing/moving apps with Titanium?
(of the previously listed actions, which one is best for our purposes?)

Thanks!

Upvote 0
If you don't want to use the commands here you will probably be fine with removing/freezing them with Titanium Backup.

I personally would use Root Explorer first though.

It's very easy.

1) You go into Root Explorer
2) Go into System
3) Click at the top Mount R/W
4) Create a new folder called app.disabled
5) Now go into the apps folder (Here are all the preinstalled apps)
6) Check all the apps you want to remove (can select multiple apps at once to speed up the process) and just move the files (the .apk) from the app folder to the app.disabled folder.

Restart your phone and the changes take effect. If you have any problems just copy the files back over to the other folder again. :)

This is very easy to do and will give you total control over your installed software.

And to go a step further: After you disable everything you want and you know your phone is working right, you can always go back in to Root Explorer and delete the entire app.disabled folder and now all those apps you have moved have been disposed of :) But I would just leave everything there disabled...Just in case...They are not active or hurting anything.

Reactions: soulcurrent
Upvote 0
Easier then just pressing "Freeze" in Titanium Backup??

Ok.... guess I'll try that

No it's not easier (even though it's easy) but gives you more control IMO. You get to interact with apps directly. And learn easy and valubale info on how your phone works.

Also you can reverse the process. You can move apps installed from the market on your phone (lets say Mobil Defense for if you lose or have your phone stolen) to your .app folder for protection.

Now if someone steals your phone they can't just easily uninstall that app just like you couldn't get rid of the bloatware, it's protected.

Upvote 0
So I removed a few programs using the commands, including City ID, Skype mobile, Twitter, Facebook, friendstream, and amazon MP3.

Now, my phone doesn't seem to recognize HTC Sync on my PC when it's plugged in. Even though it's installed correctly.

Can't figure out whether it was removing the apps that did this or could it have been installing the app AdFree?

Anyone else get this problem?

Upvote 0
Can't figure out whether it was removing the apps that did this or could it have been installing the app AdFree?

Anyone else get this problem?

It doesn't have anything to do with either. HTC Sync is a messed up crap-shoot to begin with. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

BTW what are you even using it for? I would just get rid of it.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
It doesn't have anything to do with either. HTC Sync is a messed up crap-shoot to begin with. Try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

BTW what are you even using it for? I would just get rid of it.

I use it mainly to keep the phones contacts, and calendar synced with Outlook on my PC. If there's a better way to do this I'd like to hear about it. I haven't quite figured out how to do that through my Gmail account, so this is the only way I know.

BTW all of a sudden it started working again... crap shoot is right :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
So I finally rooted my phone last night...and now would like to remove the bloatware~

I must be the only who seems to be at a dead-end w/ the command prompts areas...

I downloaded SDK zip file (I downloaded the other file recommended and after it told me to download the Java, I did that..but still the SDK installation couldn't identify my installation of the Java) and opened it up, ran the SDK Manager..and was brought up to another window asking to download packages...I downloaded one because the others are too big..

Opened up command prompt..

typed in cd\ - which worked.
but typing in cd sdk - did not...

Frusterated by this process.....it was MUCH easier following directions in rooting my Incredible via One Click Un Revoked process.
I loved the information on that, thank you on that^

Thank You in advance everyone.

Upvote 0
So I finally rooted my phone last night...and now would like to remove the bloatware~

I must be the only who seems to be at a dead-end w/ the command prompts areas...

I downloaded SDK zip file (I downloaded the other file recommended and after it told me to download the Java, I did that..but still the SDK installation couldn't identify my installation of the Java) and opened it up, ran the SDK Manager..and was brought up to another window asking to download packages...I downloaded one because the others are too big..

Opened up command prompt..

typed in cd\ - which worked.
but typing in cd sdk - did not...

Frusterated by this process.....it was MUCH easier following directions in rooting my Incredible via One Click Un Revoked process.
I loved the information on that, thank you on that^

Thank You in advance everyone.

You need to extract the files from the zip to a directory. I recommend renaming that directory 'sdk' and moving it to c:\.

The program you need to run (called adb) is in the tools folder. So, you want to type in the command prompt

cd c:\sdk\platform-tools

(cd means change directory, btw.) However, if you name the folder something else, like 'wicked rooting tools rarr' you'd have to type

cd c:\wicked rooting tools rarr\platform-tools

or, if the folder is on your desktop

cd c:\documents and settings\my really cool username\desktop\wicked rooting tools rarr\platform-tools

As you can see, saving it to your desktop and giving it a long name means typing more. So, I recommend renaming the folder to 'sdk' and moving it to the root of the c: drive to make things easier.

However, none of this will work if the files are still zipped. So, be sure to extract them first.

Reactions: KioshiVitz
Upvote 0
Thank you for your guidance Jonamerica.
I'm in the sdk/tools directory.
i can't seem to get into adb shell.

I tried typing cd c:/sdk/tools/adb shell <-- but nothing was found.
tried typing in just 'adb shell' <--and that didnt work.
I tried typing in 'run adb shell' <--- that didnt work either.

I'm a complete idiot on these kind of things....

Upvote 0
MS DOS still cannot find adb shell.

my command line looks like this - c:\sdk\tools>
My phone is in clockworks and i clicked where it says mount/systems...

I like the stock look and would rather not flash a custom rom with the bloatware already removed...

Just ran into the same issue.
It is under platform-tools, not tools. Guess it's a recent change.
It worked great.

Upvote 0
Using Root Explorer worked for me but I can't figure out what these are for:
checkinprovider.apk
clicker.apk
DCSImpl.apk
DCSStock.apk
DCSUtility.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
FieldTest.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
QxdmLog.apk
Vending.apk

There are a couple of apps I can't figure out how to remove:
Desk Clock (as long as I can still access it from the clock I don't need an icon for it in the app drawer)
Latitude
Places
Search People
Voice Mail

Can you guys help me match these up? Another stupid question to show my ignorance: Do I need to move both the apk and odex or just apk?

Upvote 0
i am defiantly lost.. i got everything in cmd up to "adb shell", cant find the location and i do have sdk tools installed on c root so i dont know what the problem is. help? bloatware is murder.

It's not in the TOOLS folder any more.

Just ran into the same issue.
It is under platform-tools, not tools. Guess it's a recent change.
It worked great.

adb shell is in there.

I had the same problem,too. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Not to be a stickler - but could you update your first post since it's referred to so often?

It is under platform-tools, not tools.
Ok guys thought this would help some.

[edit cut]
2) Open up CMD on your computer and type:

cd\
cd sdk
cd tools
adb shell

BTW - I found this to be quite helpful. Thanks for compiling all the info in one great spot!

Upvote 0
First off I will admit that I am not the most tech savoy person, but this seems pretty easy and I am having problems. I am trying to remove the bloatware, but when I mount the system in clockworkmod and type cd\sdk\tools or cd\sdk or cd sdk or anything for that matter I get "the system cannot find the path specified." If someone could give some help that would be great. Additionally, is there anything more you need to have mounted/unmounted in clockworkmod to get this to work. Also do you need your SD card in the phone.

Hi . . . just a thought . . . are you using the wrong slash? . . . "\" instead of
"/".

Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones