• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FroYo (2.2) coming in mid-September!!! READ MORE!

Yeah truth be told, most of the people I know have smartphones, and in conversations where froyo/2.2 comes up no one knows what I am talking about until I explain it.

Most android users that are not on the internet mucking about in forums have no idea what version of android they have, and besides that this community has screwed itself over by holding the 2.2 update as some sort of holy grail, the benefits described seem ridiculous to me and it seems silly to think that everything will be that much better.

As it stands with the custom rom Trident made we only need froyo for the ms exchange clients. We have apps2sd, tether, oc kernels, gridlock kernels, by the time froyo comes it will be pointless.

I think you're right; most smartphone users don't know or care what OS version they are running. Some probably don't even know what OS they're running. I have 2.2 on my Droid, so I've already seen it and know it's nothing to get excited over. I've been setting up my son's new (to him - it's used) Ally for him this week. Since he'll be on pre-paid with no data plan, I want to make sure mobile data stays disabled. Having 2.2 would give me that ability within Android, but other ways are readily available with 2.1. I'm using Tasker to control Mobile Data on the Ally right now, and I'm not sure I'll use the Android setting it 2.2 if/when it becomes available, as it would make it too easy to enable mobile data.

Unless someone is just dying to have a feature exclusive to 2.2, or hoping 2.2 includes a bug fix for something that's really a problem, I don't think people should be dissatisfied with 2.1 just because it's not 2.2.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones