• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

I wouldn't mess with it after the fact due to the touchy MD5 hash but you can hit backup current rom in clockwork the app and it will prompt you for the name.

I wasn't aware of this as I haven't messed with such things since the MD5 stuff got picky in the newer versions I guess?? Probably just need to put your name at the front of the existing one though and then delete before restore so the MD5 works.

EDIT and ninja'd: Also, just realized there is a rename capability in ROMManager that will probably work the MD5 stuff on rename. just goto manage/restore and pick one and rename is an option along with restore and delete.

Upvote 0
Well, I've just finished the whole process of getting my phone back to warranty state. Backed everything up, reflashed the stock ROM, unlocked the bootloader, reinstalled the standard battery. Getting ready to take it back to Verizon now to see if they'll exchange it for another one, hopefully to get rid of the blotchy spot on my screen.

For some reason this makes me sad ... the logical part of my brain tells me that one Nexus is just like another, and all I'm doing here is fixing a problem. But I feel attached to this thing I stood in line for last week. How pathetic. :)

Upvote 0
Hmm. I've never tried that one. I'll give it a try. Is it like ICS where you have widgets and apps in the same drawer, and it's a page by page rather than scrolling?

It is page by page which I really like. There is no support for widgets in the app drawer though. I know its preference, but I like long pressing to add widgets anyways, it just seems easier since that is what I am used to. The little I did use the stock launcher though, the widgets in the app drawer was neat.

400197478.jpg

400197479.jpg

I just couldn't stand not being able to use my own icons in stock launchers.

EDIT: Note the 3g and the reception in the middle of a 4g area. Amazing, isn't it?

Upvote 0
Razor, thanks for posting this. Ok, showing my very noobiness on this. When I click the "download the file" link in the article, it brings up the multiupload.com site, with several "download" buttons. Pushing any of those brings up a link to download a download manager. I just want the file without having any third party programs to get it. How do I do that? Or, do I HAVE to download something like iLivid Manager to get the file? I keep running in to that issue.

I'm from the old school, where you click "download" and you get a window that asks run/save, etc etc.

Edit: I think, looking at it closer, that if you just pick the "direct download", that'll work? I'm guessing the others seem like they are for specific download managers. (?)
No, definitely don't download any programs. Sites like MultiUpload are useful for hosting files, but they can be misleading. As you can see, MultiUpload hosts the same file on multiple sites - I particularly favor MegaUpload, as I know it's trustworthy.

Now, it's probably easiest if you open the MultiUpload link on your phone browser. You should see a button saying "Download file" in the MegaUpload row; hitting it will bring you to a MegaUpload page with a button saying "Premium Download," another button greyed out saying "Regular Download," and a timer with 10 seconds on it. Wait the 10 seconds out and the "Regular Download" button will activate. Hit that and the file will download. :) While it's downloading, go into the Settings menu, and down to Security. Make sure the box next to "Allow installation of non-Market apps" is checked. Once the file is done downloading, pull down the notifications bar and press the Zumocast APK. It'll bring up a screen with the Zumocast logo, and will ask if you want to install the application. Choose "Install," and presto, it'll install!

After that, follow the instructions outlined on the Phandroid page - once opened, Zumocast will prompt you to enter your name and email to create your account. After you've done that, go to your computer and open http://www.zumocast.com/download, then choose your operating system, and it'll install the desktop software. It'll ask for your account information, then allow you to specify what folders you want to be able to access from the Zumocast app on your phone. After that, it'll sync with your phone, and you should be all set to go! Good luck :)

Reactions: NCTurner
Upvote 0
It is page by page which I really like. There is no support for widgets in the app drawer though. I know its preference, but I like long pressing to add widgets anyways, it just seems easier since that is what I am used to. The little I did use the stock launcher though, the widgets in the app drawer was neat.

400197478.jpg

400197479.jpg
Nice background. :D I looked into EasyTether though - 10 bucks? You might as well root and get Wireless Tether!

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
It is page by page which I really like.. . .

How do you change the dock? I hate this little phone icon next to a tiny grid for the app drawer. I've gone into ADW settings, but don't see an option for it.

Otherwise, it seems good.

Edit: Never mind, I got it. I do like ADW!

It looks nice and reports much stability. Let me know how you like it.

This rom is really smooth. No bugs so far. It has it's own custom kernel, I'm not sure what it is, but I like it a lot.

I'm sure Netflix HD won't work with it (it seems to be stuck to 4.0.2) so I may have to just wait til the app itself gets updated.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
How do you change the dock? I hate this little phone icon next to a tiny grid for the app drawer. I've gone into ADW settings, but don't see an option for it.

Otherwise, it seems good.
ADW settings - themes preferences - main dock

Then for icons, not sure if you needed help with that too, I just long pressed one on the homescreen and click edit, pick a different icon with the app "droidicon". I use droidicon for docks too. Has A LOT to choose from.

EDIT: I see you found it...Post your homescreen when you get it all set up :)

Upvote 0
Nice background. :D I looked into EasyTether though - 10 bucks? You might as well root and get Wireless Tether!

Well for me, my reception on the phone is God awful...so coupling that with a wifi connection, I lose connection on my computer like every 3 minutes. With the EasyTether, I never lose connection. Plus, I don't want to get in trouble talking about the OTHER thing you referred to... :)

Upvote 0
Well for me, my reception on the phone is God awful...so coupling that with a wifi connection, I lose connection on my computer like every 3 minutes. With the EasyTether, I never lose connection. Plus, I don't want to get in trouble talking about the OTHER thing you referred to... :)
Oops, you're quite right. Forget I said anything. :D

Upvote 0
Flashing Droidtheory's rom.

I don't know why I do this to myself.

Glutton for punishment?

I just couldn't stand not being able to use my own icons in stock launchers.

EDIT: Note the 3g and the reception in the middle of a 4g area. Amazing, isn't it?

You can use your own icons in the dock. Just create shortcuts on your desktop using Desktop Visualizer and then drag them where you want them on the dock. I just tried it and it works.

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0

Hopefully both these eventually go out the window with eventual source built custom roms and it is just built in and works. BTW, even trying to control this sorta stuff was supposed to be prohibited per the C-Block rules, so it's beyond me how VZW gets away with trying to dictate such things through our contracts and then in turn forums try and limit talk about it when the reality is you are supposed to be able to use the service you are paying for however you please when it is coming from the C-Block spectrum.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that has NOT put my phone under a microscope and gone through everything with a fine toothed comb? Seems there is nothing but complaints about the nexus aside from the peeps here in this thread. I have not gone through my phone to find issues or problems. I just use it :)

EDIT: not to say some users don't have legitimate issues :)

Anyway my extended battery came in this morning which is a surprise considering the 6-8" of snow we got over night. I tried to use the stock cover but it stuck out on one side a bit so i used the one that came with the new battery. Kind of changed the feel of the phone a bit, nothing bad kind of fills my hand better. Its on the charger. Figured while the battery was half off I might as well get one :D

Upvote 0
Am I the only one that has NOT put my phone under a microscope and gone through everything with a fine toothed comb? Seems there is nothing but complaints about the nexus aside from the peeps here in this thread. I have not gone through my phone to find issues or problems. I just use it :)

Nope. I just use it too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones