• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting replacement Eris, root questions

It may be premature, but I think you've got root.

Did it unpack all the contents, show you a list, and then ask you if you wanted to continue?

(I've gone through this several times, and sometimes the phone seems to reboot rather than going into HBOOT mode - make sure to hold down both Vol-down and End/Power until the screen comes up if you didn't see it unpacking anything)

Edit:

I never bothered to ask when you first requested help - is your replacement a refurb, or a new phone?

eu1

Upvote 0
it unpacked everything and took like 5-10 minutes to reboot
is there anyway to tell if i've got Root?

[SIZE=+2]Woot! JrzDroid has Root![/SIZE]

Well, even though you are "only 1/3rd done", you are going to be amazed at how easy and fast the 2nd and 3rd thirds go.

We're going to depart from "the script" and avoid all the confusing command line adb mumbo-jumbo stuff. (Don't be scared!)

Here's the next steps.

1) After the phone reboots, power it down and take the SD card out (we'll change the name of the PB00IMG.ZIP file in a little bit).

2) Verify that you have the S-OFF bootloader by powering up the phone in the same way as when you did the flashing: Vol-down + End/Power. You should see S-OFF in the first line of the display. STOP if you don't see this. If you see S-OFF, you have root!

3) Press the Send button to go from HBOOT mode to FASTBOOT USB mode.

4) On your PC, using the command window, verify communication, not with adb, but this time with fastboot. With the Current Directory set to your tools directory, type

fastboot devices

This should return your device ID, just like the adb command, if the PC and the phone are communicating correctly (the phone should also be displaying FASTBOOT USB rather than FASTBOOT if it thinks it is connected to a live computer).

Let me know if you see this

Reactions: D_Sweet
Upvote 0
I've got S-OFF
I've got FASTBOOT USB
after putting in fastboot devices after getting the command window back to the tools it shows up
HT9XXXXXXXXX fastboot

Awesomeness.

OK, were going to install the recovery console with - get this - a single command:

Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-eris-v1.6.2.img

The only thing that can go wrong with this is that you misspell something or leave out a space or something - but that is harmless.

Paste the lines which show up after running that command back here.

eu1

Upvote 0
Excellent - you are now 2/3rds done

Now:

1) With the SD card still out of the phone, push Vol-down to go back to HBOOT mode.
2) Then, push Vol-Up to boot into your newly installed recovery console.

You should see this:

AmonRecovery.png

( Image courtesy of jxnrxy )

Yeah or Nay?

Upvote 0
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Yeah, Baby!

Hold on, lemme type some more. Refresh this in a minute or two.

OK, let's take a breather.

I'm going to have you do something here which is completely unnecessary, but you should do it just to get into the habit:

0.1) wait - not so fast - put your SD card back in the phone (no need to turn off power)

1) Make a Nandroid backup. (Use the trackball to scroll, press the trackball to select, and the Vol-down key to return to the previous menu).

This (backup) step is the optional part, because there is no reason for you to have a copy of the POS rom that comes with the Root-PB00IMG.ZIP ROM. We're doing it here to reinforce good habits only.

Generally, when it comes time to try out a new ROM, you will always follow these four steps:

- Back up what you've got (existing ROM)
- Wipe Dalvik Cache
- Wipe Data / Factory Reset
- Load new ROM (or recover/restore a previously saved ROM)

2) Wipe the Dalvik cache (underneath "Wipe" menu)

3) Wipe Data / Factory Reset (also under "Wipe" menu)

Finally - the moment you've been waiting for... (drum roll please)

4) select "Flash zip from sdcard"

Do it.

Upvote 0
how do I make the nandroid backup
SD is out of phone still

Sorry, i botched the instructions, should have put "put your SD card back in" before the Nandroid instruction. (I fixed the post, see above)

Nandroid is under Backup/Restore menu, it is called "Nand backup"

Are you still having troubles with your trackball?

BTW, once you have the recovery console installed, you can start the phone up with Vol-Up + End/Power; that avoids the use of the HBOOT menu, especially if you have a PB00IMG.ZIP file on your SD card still.

eu1

Upvote 0
OK,

Do the Wipes and Install your new ROM!

Well, it's Saturday night in Jersey on a long weekend. Methinks you've got some stuff to do IRL.

I'll probably ask a small favor of you in the future - something easy like, "Convince Frisco to Root, and show him how it is done!". :D

If you are interested, before you boot into your new ROM and start customizing, you might try a couple of things (I forgot to ask, did the new ROM install seem to go to completion?)

1) Go to your PC and type "adb shell". (and then "exit" after the root prompt)
Yes, the recovery console allows you to talk to the phone using ADB - all sorts of geeky Linux things can be done from there, with root privilege on the phone. Just showing you so you know it's there.

2) Select the USB-MS toggle in the recovery console and note that your SD card will auto-mount on your PC; take this opportunity to rename the PB00IMG.ZIP file to something like root-PB00IMG.ZIP so it won't interfere with HBOOT startups in the future.

When done, "Safely Remove Hardware", and hit the trackball to turn off USB-MS mode.

Finally, one last thing to keep in mind: The phone does not seem to charge at all when in HBOOT, FASTBOOT, or recovery console - and it seems to drain the battery right quick. Don't let the phone sit this way for a long time (hours) and attempt to flash new ROMs without checking the battery level. Or, just shut the phone down and wait for the power charge light to change to green.

Safe travels, JrzDroid

eu1

Reactions: D_Sweet and doogald
Upvote 0
i tried to flash from sd card whitewidow3.1.zip and it says installation aborted

That is not normal behavior.

Did you do the Dalvik wipe and Data/Factory Reset wipe before you tried installing it?

I would try a different ROM for the time being.

If the WW install failed, your phone might not boot - which means that you can't start it up to load something on to the SD card the "usual way".

But you CAN start it up in recovery mode and use the USB-MS toggle to put files onto the SD card. I would do that to put a new ROM on there.

The other thing you could do is, on the PC, type:

adb shell cat /cache/recovery.log > WW3_install_error.txt

and then paste the contents of the WW3_install_error.txt file to the board here. I would suspect the ROM first, though.

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones