• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting replacement Eris, root questions

That is not normal behavior.

Did you do the Dalvik wipe and Data/Factory Reset wipe before you tried installing it?

I would try a different ROM for the time being.

If the WW install failed, your phone might not boot - which means that you can't start it up to load something on to the SD card the "usual way".

But you CAN start it up in recovery mode and use the USB-MS toggle to put files onto the SD card. I would do that to put a new ROM on there.

The other thing you could do is, on the PC, type:

adb shell cat /cache/recovery.log > WW3_install_error.txt

and then paste the contents of the WW3_install_error.txt file to the board here. I would suspect the ROM first, though.

eu1

no need to do all that.

just re-transfer to your sd card and flash

Upvote 0
from where I am right now do I just hit volume down to go back and reboot the system and move the file from download location to the sd card?

im not sure where your at right now :/

do this, battery pull, boot to recovery (vol up and power), enable usb toggle, delete the ww3.1 from the sdcard, transfer it over again and MAKE SURE TO WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH TRANSFERING and then flash it.

Upvote 0
install from sdcard...
finding update package...
opening update package...
E:Can't open /sdcard/Whitewidow3
.1.zip
(bad)

Installation Aborted

there is a md5sum command available from a shell within the recovery console; try (from the PC)

adb shell mount /sdcard
adb shell md5sum /sdcard/Whitewidow3.1.zip
adb shell umount /sdcard

That will tell you if it is corrupted or not.

eu1

Upvote 0
there is a md5sum command available from a shell within the recovery console; try (from the PC)

adb shell mount /sdcard
adb shell md5sum /sdcard/Whitewidow3.1.zip
adb shell umount /sdcard

That will tell you if it is corrupted or not.

eu1

again, no need to do all that.
the (bad) readout only comes up when its been corrupted. just re-transfer it over

Upvote 0
have to put it back

[SIZE=+2]Hey Andrizoid![/SIZE]

Watch me jack my own thread here. :)

You know what would be pretty awesome for the newbs?

A way to install ROMs without using the PC at all. They all stumble over the same 2 or 3 things: installing the device drivers, using the DOS command line, and using the Linux command line (via adb)

Check this out, I think it might work:

1) Download root-PB00IMG.ZIP to phone SD card. (Move to root of SD with a file manager).
2) Download an "update.zip" file to phone SD card. (Same deal, move to SD root)

The update.zip has only three things in it:

- Amon_RA's recovery
- a /META-INF/com/google/android/update-script that installs the Amon_RA recovery partition
- the usual META-INF signing bullshit

Then, the sequence of events is:

1) The standard HBOOT-PB00IMG.ZIP install of the root-ROM
2) Boot to recovery (Vol-Up+End/Power) ... after the (recovery boot) splash screen shows, press Vol-Up+End/Power again to launch the HTC recovery menu.
3) One of the menu options there is to apply sdcard:update.zip
4) Reboot into the Amon_RA recovery and install desired ROM

Voila! No PC involvement at all, no adb, no fastboot.

[ Edit - a couple hours later ]
Now I know what you are thinking - HTC signing.
But the root-ROM recovery partition image is built with ro.secure=0 ; I think it might not care about HTC keys for update.zip installs.

The above idea (greyed out) seems to be full of FAIL. I can get Amon_RA to pass sig verification on a primitive update.zip, but the ro.secure=0 recovery boot from the HTC root-ROM pukes on the same sigs; gonna give it a few more runs, and after that ... punt!
[ /Edit ]

Doing that might help mend some fences over XDA - making a contribution that helps out everyone that's building ROMs for the masses - they can build ROMs instead of helping with install problems.

I know you are busy with other things, and I should probably do the testing myself.

If you try it and it works, make it available for all ROMs - don't just bundle it up so only your own creations work with it.

eu1

Reactions: JrzDroid
Upvote 0
you both rock. WhiteWidow is sexy as shit and the walkthrough that EU just gave me was epic win.
Seeing as how you walked me step by step I REALLY think this should be cleaned up and stickied for everyone else..

as for the phone, what is the RAB and LAB next to the app drawer?
^never mind^

Upvote 0
So andrizoid

This rom is sexy as hell
I found the SetCPU which is currently set at 768MHz which I guess is the MAX
so my questions are:
1. Is this JIT enabled(i heard its faaaast)
2. and can I set the home button to go right back to the center screen?

I'm assuming the launcher you're currently using takes you into helicopter view or something?

Menu>preferences>Home key to default screen [x] (check that box)

Edit: that's how it would be done on launcherPro, but I don't know what you're using...

Upvote 0
Its been just taking me back to whatever Screen I accessed The app from. Also the camera just keeps force closing. Also the volume controls reset the phone randomly before. When can we expect 4.0?

try using spareparts to change the home button function.

camera should only FC when you try to switch to the camcorder, when is it Fc-ing for you?

volume has never reste my phone, and this is the first report from anyone else ive heard about it.

and im working on 4.0, i was on vacation this weekend, and i hve finals today and tomorrow and im going to a concert later this week, im working on it in my freetime, but i need to find out why the editied framework-res.apk is causing the bootloop.

ill get it out as soon as i can be sure its ready.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones