• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Getting replacement Eris, root questions

try using spareparts to change the home button function.

camera should only FC when you try to switch to the camcorder, when is it Fc-ing for you?

volume has never reste my phone, and this is the first report from anyone else ive heard about it.

and im working on 4.0, i was on vacation this weekend, and i hve finals today and tomorrow and im going to a concert later this week, im working on it in my freetime, but i need to find out why the editied framework-res.apk is causing the bootloop.

ill get it out as soon as i can be sure its ready.

I can't wait for WW4.0
I've been trying different ROMS, but WW is by far my fav. Soon as MMS is fixed I'm never switching roms

Upvote 0
1st I gotta thank JRZDroid for getting stumped at the same exact part of the Stickied Root procedure that I did. Then major props to Erisuser1 for breakin it down for her, your walk through was much more clear & made it a walk in the park. Thanks to you both I am happily rooted!!! These steps need to replace the incredibly confusing ones in the sticky. Well they are probably only confusing for a NOOB like myself lol.

Upvote 0
1st I gotta thank JRZDroid for getting stumped at the same exact part of the Stickied Root procedure that I did. Then major props to Erisuser1 for breakin it down for her, your walk through was much more clear & made it a walk in the park. Thanks to you both I am happily rooted!!! These steps need to replace the incredibly confusing ones in the sticky. Well they are probably only confusing for a NOOB like myself lol.

Just curious - which step did you hang up on? I have some uncompleted ideas about how to make the install a little easier - it helps to know where folks usually get hung up.

eu1

Upvote 0
eu1,
Hi, I just read your walkthrough for JrzDroid, and it was great! You simplified everything to the point where an intermediate or even beginner could do it. Mad props!
My question to you is this: with a 2.1 phone, is root the sane process? I am getting a new phone, for reasons similar to JzDroid's actually, and want to know if I can root it as easily?
Part two of my question is whether or not WW3.1 is really as good as everyone says? And also any other roms you would suggest? I love aloysius, that's the only one I liked enough to keep for any period of time. Anyway, thanks in advance for the reply!

Dadurf

Upvote 0
eu1,
Hi, I just read your walkthrough for JrzDroid, and it was great! You simplified everything to the point where an intermediate or even beginner could do it. Mad props!

de nada.

My question to you is this: with a 2.1 phone, is root the sane process? I am getting a new phone, for reasons similar to JzDroid's actually, and want to know if I can root it as easily?

Sanity is always a matter of opinion. ;)

Perhaps. There have been reports of folks getting refurb or new phones with the 1.49 S-ON bootloader already installed on the phone along with the 2.36.605.1 build (= OTA-2.1 ). If that is the case, rooting won't work, but it won't cause the phone any harm to try. If the bootloader is a 1.47.xxxx version, it should be exactly the same process. If the first part doesn't work, though, it won't brick your phone, so you shouldn't have any qualms about trying it.

Part two of my question is whether or not WW3.1 is really as good as everyone says? And also any other roms you would suggest? I love aloysius, that's the only one I liked enough to keep for any period of time. Anyway, thanks in advance for the reply!

Dadurf

I don't know, I haven't tried WWx. I'm sort of a "close to stock but Rooted" kind of person. Last night I spent a couple hours installing a new rom, and configuring it endlessly, only to find that it mysteriously had Google sign-in problems with 3 different Google apps (even though Gmail was fine), caused FCs of Better Terminal Emulator, and also FC Google's "My Tracks" apps immediately on launch. What did I get for that effort? A home screen that works in both portrait and landscape mode.

Whoop-de-doo.

I think you will find lots of ROMs that are like that, especially any ROM which is a "port" from another phone. Many of the ROMs cater to people that want eye-candy on their phones (live wallpapers, sexy lock screens, blah blah blah). And they deliver just that in addition to a boatload of bugs - with very little differences in real functional capabilities of the phone.

After a while the newness of a fancy animation will wear off and you will want a phone that just plain works.

I would encourage you to start out with a "not sexy" ROM: either Ivanmmj's Official_1.0 or Jcase's Plain Jane, and configure it exactly as if it were the last ROM you will ever put on the phone. After you've done that (and during, too!) make good Nandroid backups, and make copies of those backup someplace off the SD card in case of a disaster. Then start making more adventurous moves, knowing that you can always come back to something rock solid after you've grown tired of dealing with "this bug" and "that bug", and you just want a phone that works.

eu1

Upvote 0
So if it comes with 2.1, I can't root it as of now? That sucks. LOL. I read somewhere that you can downgrade to 1.5. I think Grdlock posted it, but anyway. I guess you answered my question. If it has 2.1, I'm out of luck, but if they send it stock, I'm golden. Thanks again!

I didn't mention 2.1 - I mentioned the bootloader version. I have rooted an OTA-2.1 phone... which had the 1.47.xxxx bootloader on it. So, "2.1" by itself doesn't decide whether or not it will work or fail - it's the bootloader version which is critical.

When your phone arrives, power it up by holding down the Vol-down and End/Power buttons (at the same time, until the screen lights up). That will tell you the bootloader version.

Out of curiosity, why don't you accept private messages?

Because

1) It is my prerogative. (To be clear, I don't accept any PMs except from Admins and Mods, so you are not being singled out). If you want to ask me something, ask it directly in the forum.

and

2) I spend entirely too much time in here as it is; soon I too will go the way of the dodo.

eu1

Upvote 0
Trying to install Aloysius 2.1 and when I flash I keep getting this failure message:

E:Failure at line 2:
assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "heroc"

Installation aborted.

Any tips or pointers? I realize its a Hero ROM, do I need to do anything else besides data reset, davlik clear, and root???

Help is appreciated thanks!

Off Topic, but I'll respond anyway.

Perchance did you download Amon_RA's recovery from the wrong place - for instance, you burned a Hero version of Amon_RA's recovery to your phone?

The thing you are seeing there ("getprop") is a failed assertion; that check is put in place by the developer to prevent someone from burning a ROM to the wrong device. This check is being performed by the running recovery boot.

In the case of AlosyiusV12, that line (in META-INF/com/google/android/update-script ) is:

assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "desirec"

Which seems like the correct assertion.

So, I take that to mean that you are seeing a failed assertion, and that means one of three things:

1) You are attempting to install this onto a Hero, not an Eris, (less likely)
2) Somehow you managed to install a Hero version of Amon_RA's recovery onto your Eris - instead of the Eris version. (more likely), or
3) You're trying to install a Hero ROM (not a Hero-derived ROM) onto an Eris ( :eek: )

What Version of Aloysius are you tring to install, and what are the md5sum signatures of the recovery.img file and Alosius .zip file you have been using?

eu1

Reactions: John58543
Upvote 0
Well I know the Recovery md5sum signature is correct, I used your tutorial you gave to JrzDroid. I may have downloaded an incorrect version of the ROM...sorry for posting on this thread...didnt want to start a new one and look stupid. SUPER THANK YOU by the way for the walk through you gave JrzDroid...I'm officially rooted thanks to your help!

I was able to install Sensable 3.1 ROM later on...FWIW

Upvote 0
Well I know the Recovery md5sum signature is correct, I used your tutorial you gave to JrzDroid. I may have downloaded an incorrect version of the ROM...sorry for posting on this thread...didnt want to start a new one and look stupid. SUPER THANK YOU by the way for the walk through you gave JrzDroid...I'm officially rooted thanks to your help!

The reason that I was not sure which case it was is because - when the assertion fails - I'm not sure if it kicks out the line from the "update-script" file that failed, or if it reports the actual value that "getprop()" found.

If you unzip one file from your ROM zip file - the

META-INF/com/google/android/update-script

file (it is a plain text file),

you will see what it is checking for - that "assert" line will be in the first four or five lines in the file.

if it says: assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "heroc"

than either the dev made a mistake, and nobody can install the rom, or you somehow got ROMs mixed up.

eu1

Upvote 0

FYI, I just downloaded "Sense-able 3.1.zip" and looked in it's "update-script" file.

It does absolutely no checks at all - it will let you flash it onto any other Android phone with Amon_RA on it (with very bad results likely).

If you followed my instructions to the letter, I don't know how it would be possible for you to have a Hero recovery partition installed on your phone, but I would check both the ROM you downloaded and the recovery.img file as well to figure out where the problem came from. You don't want problems down the road.

eu1

Upvote 0
JrzDroid, erisuser1, and all others that contributed to this thread...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

I have Rooted my (replacement) Eris! :D Great tutorial!

I'm running Ivan's Eris_Official 1.0 OC for now.

JrzDriod, how are you liking Whitewidow 3.1?

i think hes using 3.2 now ;)

Where do you find white widow? I looked at xda and here and have yet to find it yet everyone seems to have it....am I missing something?

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Ive taken White Widow down from xda and AF, if you want it pm me your email and ill invite you to the lovely WAVE account that some of the other users put together for me.

Reactions: John58543
Upvote 0
Well, erisuser1, as it turns out I did in fact download a hero version of the Aloysius ROM (doh!)...so I am about to try an official eris version off of GrdLocks host site...

Thanks for troubleshooting though! :)

Sorry for not getting back to you - I cobbled a little "update.zip" script together to test the behavior of the recovery installer, and I used the line:

assert getprop("ro.product.device") == "foobar"

and sure enough, when it thows an error, it just spits out (along with "E: ") the original line from the "update-script" file that failed. So yeah, that's what I figured. Besides, you had said "I followed your instructions", so I should have just assumed you had the correct recovery image install all along.

Yikes! Imagine what kind of odd things your phone might have done if that check hadn't been in there (like with jamezelle's Senseable 3.1 installer - no checks at all). :(

eu1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones