• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GPS overseas

MtnDew31693

Sep 17, 2012
Hey guys, got a quick question. I'm planning on going to Europe sometime this year to do some site seeing and was wondering if GPS would work over there. Obviously I won't be able to get a data connection (or any connection :D) but will I still be able to get a GPS lock over there. I've downloaded offline section of google maps for the areas I would like to visit. I don't think I can get directions without a data connection, but will GPS still place me on the offline map? Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, GPS will place you on the offline map of Maps :)

You might have a look at the app OsmAnd.
The app let you download offline maps of worldwide areas and has a search function and a simple routing function, both without needing a data connection.
And this OpenStreetsMaps have more details as Maps for big cities.

Harry

Awesome, thanks man. I'll definitely check out those apps

Upvote 0
A datum is a theoretical construct that first relies on creating a potato-shaped object called a "geoid", then from that, constructing an ellipsoid which will serve as the basis for the datums to operate on. It is a way of projecting the globe and preserving area and distance (shape as well, depending upon scale and format), so that we may use GPS and other technologies.

There are hundreds of datums used worldwide, but WGS84 was the latest one to gain widespread use. It was conducted in 1984 by the U.S. Department of Defense and now used in almost every country in the world. It uses the Earth's center of mass (determined from satellite technology) as a benchmark.

That was probably more than you asked for, but that's a brief overview of what a datum is.

It looks like I misspoke earlier, as I don't see a way to switch datums on the fly with Google Maps, but it looks like Navfree (free on Google Play) supports a bunch of different countries using an Open Street Maps sort of format.

Keep in mind that data from places like Open Street Maps does not face the same level of verification and scrutiny than that produced by cartographers, so always be cautious of your surroundings even when using a GPS.

Reactions: MtnDew31693
Upvote 0
A datum is a theoretical construct that first relies on creating a potato-shaped object called a "geoid", then from that, constructing an ellipsoid which will serve as the basis for the datums to operate on. It is a way of projecting the globe and preserving area and distance (shape as well, depending upon scale and format), so that we may use GPS and other technologies.

There are hundreds of datums used worldwide, but WGS84 was the latest one to gain widespread use. It was conducted in 1984 by the U.S. Department of Defense and now used in almost every country in the world. It uses the Earth's center of mass (determined from satellite technology) as a benchmark.

That was probably more than you asked for, but that's a brief overview of what a datum is.

It looks like I misspoke earlier, as I don't see a way to switch datums on the fly with Google Maps, but it looks like Navfree (free on Google Play) supports a bunch of different countries using an Open Street Maps sort of format.

Keep in mind that data from places like Open Street Maps does not face the same level of verification and scrutiny than that produced by cartographers, so always be cautious of your surroundings even when using a GPS.

Awesome, that explained it quite clearly :) Thanks man.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones