• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help gps question

You'll need a cell signal to use google nav. All gps does is communicates with geosatellites and retrieve your position by coordinates (longitude and latitude). In order for us use those coordinates, we need mapping programs to map the coordinates to the street we're on. Without maps, all we have are just coordinate numbers.

In the case of google maps/nav, we use the cell signal to download maps as we go. Without it, we'll have no maps to map our position.

In the case of garmin or other standalone gps units, the maps are stored in the device for you to use at anytime. That's why they don't need a cell signal to operate.

Like Airmaxx said, there are apps in the market that have offline maps - meaning you're downloading the maps and storing them in your SD card/internal storage for offline use.

Upvote 0
I use OruxMaps for my offline GPS maps. You need to download the map creator and create the maps for the area you would like to use them in. I have a Google Map and Topographical Map of the area that I use on a regular basis saved to my SDcard. Just go to the "manual" section of the site and there are instructions there on how to create your maps. If you need help just let me know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones