• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] How to Root the Wildfire S

After spending 3 days trying to upgrade my hboot so i could unlock my bootloader, i somehow ended up with s-off! here are the steps i followed.
1) try updates from htcdev - didnt work
2) made goldcard, tried updates - didnt work
3) gained temp root using adb and zergrush, worked
4) hex edited the rom version number - didnt work
5) placed rom_2 on sd card - worked, sort of, updated the radio, but not the bootloader, "cannot rollback hboot"
6) placed rom_1 on sd card -worked, updated the radio
7) went into hboot to try to flash rom_2 again, voila! s-off!!!!
dont ask me if this is a way to s-off devices without xtc clip, all i know is it is what has worked for me, so i thought i would share.
Marvel PVT Ship S-OFF RL
Hboot 0.90.0000
Microp-0451
Radio-7.54.39.08M
Apr 9 2011, 17:45:10
;)

Upvote 0
Hello, i have wildfire s with unlocked bootloader but S-ON, can i root wildfire s with this method. Because I'm confused, first writes that I need to have s-off or unlocked bootloader, and later wrote that I must have S-OFF.
This particular guide is outdated and no longer supported by the OP. I suggest you give this one a try starting from step 4:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html

You need s-off or an unlocked bootloader, not both. You are good to root.

Upvote 0
ok, i did the step 4, but having problem with step 4c: "4C. Install the SuperSU app by Chainfire This app allows other apps to access root when necessary. After it's installed, reboot the phone. Whenever you install and run an app that requires root, you'll get a dialog asking if you want SuperUser to grant permission to that app. ** If you do not install Superuser, then the phone will not know that it's rooted! **" and after that i open superSU app, and there writes: "there is no SU binary instaled, and SuperSU cannot instal it. This is a problem."

Upvote 0
Thanks for this brilliant post. I followed all of the instructions and successfully rooted my HTC Wildfire S Virgin Mobile USA. Thanks for your hard work it is really appreciated!

First of all, I'd like to thank chlinkchlink for finding out about some rooting instructions on XDA.cn. It has been a pain in the nuts to root this thing but it seems like the chinese folks over there were able to crack the thing. I am not the author of the script, I'm just putting all this together for everyone to enjoy. Also, thanks to the people of XDA.cn for their work.

I know GingerBreak works on some roms, but recent firmware versions have been fixed to not work with GingerBreak, one example is the Bell Canada firmware variant.

So far this method works on:

• Stock European ROMs (tested by sammyke007)
  • Bell Canada ROMs (tested by me)
  • Asian ROMs (tested by XDA.cn)
  • Waiting for confirmation on US roms.

Requirements:

What does it do?: The script will install the su binary, busybox and superuser on your phone.

Step 1: Flashing the Custom Recovery UI by XDA.cn

1. Again, make sure your device is S-OFF.
  2. Again, make sure your memory card is formatted FAT32.
  3. Place the PG76IMG.zip file into your phone SD card.
  4. Turn your phone off.
  5. Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen.
  6. Don't press anything. The system will scan for some files and it will prompt you for an update. Move the cursor to OK (volume up) to start the flashing process.
  7. After it finishes, press the "power" button to restart the system.
  8. Let Android boot and delete the PG76IMG.zip file from your SD card.
  9. Congrats! Custom recovery has been installed. Process to step 2.

Step 2: Flashing the rooting script by XDA.cn

1. Copy the root.zip file into your phone SD card.
  2. Turn your phone off.
  3. Boot into recovery: Hold down the "power" button and the "volume down" button for a few seconds till you see the HBOOT screen. Let it do its thing and then select "RECOVERY".
  4. At the recovery menu, use the volume buttons to select "install zip from sd card".
  5. Then select "choose zip from sd card".
  6. Then find the "root.zip" file on the list.
  7. Select "YES".
  8. Let the script do its thing till you see "Install from sd card completed".
  9. Select "Go Back" on the menu till you find the "power off" option and select it.
  10. Turn your phone back on and let Android boot.

142357twb86rxtjvtejv8e.png

That's it. Superuser will be installed on the phone along with Busybox and the su binary. You will be able allow access to applications needing root permissions now.

Troubleshooting:

Q: Superuser force-closes when an application requests for root permissions.
R: It will not FC when the 1st app requests permissions, but will FC when a 2nd app does. It happened to me on the Bell Canada firmware. It can be fixed by clearing the Superuser application data and then running Superuser from the app drawer. It will request an update of the 'su' binary, and once installed, the error wont ocurr anymore. I guess I could definitely fix this by finding the su binary and packing it into root.zip, but I have no idea of where to find the latest version.

Source: [TUTORIAL][ROOT] How to root your HTC Wildfire S? - xda-developers

Enjoy!

Upvote 0
will this process work on my htc wildfire s a510e
No, because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Go to this thread for help:
http://androidforums.com/wildfire-s-all-things-root/480954-guide-how-root-wildfire-s-s-finally.html

does baseband, kernal version, android version affect the rooting process mentioned above?
No. But model number (A510e) impacts what you must do to be able to root, whether gain S-OFF or unlock the bootloader. As I said above, you fall into the latter category and must follow the guide above.

Have fun :D

Upvote 0
i forgot to mention i have a s-off what should i do to root my phone?

No, because you have to unlock your bootloader first. Go to this thread for help:

No. But model number (A510e) impacts what you must do to be able to root, whether gain S-OFF or unlock the bootloader. As I said above, you fall into the latter category and must follow the guide above.

Have fun :D

Upvote 0
i forgot to mention i have a s-off what should i do to root my phone?
In that case any rooting method will work. This guide will help you root, but it's outdated and hasn't been supported by the OP since the day he posted it. The recovery and superuser app he has you flash are months old. I'd still recommend using the guide in my post above (steps 4-5). It's updated regularly.

Reactions: dizaztah
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones