• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Guide] Root for Official 2.3.5 With Guide

After I plugged in the USB cable and the download mode screen appeared on my phone (method 3), Odin fails to recognize my phone. I have checked that my (ATT) Captivate's firmware is 2.3.5.

If it helps, I am using Odin from the top post, and my OS is Win 7.

Any help?

Happened to me at first, issue was that I was missing the Samsung USB drivers on my PC. You can get them from their site (google for i897 usb drivers), after I installed that it worked fine. Also check that your phone is in USB debug mode (I believe that doesn't matter in download mode, but just in case).

Upvote 0
Iam on windws xp and when I try to put it in download mode it opens a dialog asking to install drivers for the new hdwr, if I dismiss, odin does no t see it at all If I wait until it searchs for drivers it odin does not see it.
The only way I managed odin to see it is using the second method, but I can't put it in donwload mode after I reach the reboot system screen I reboot and the it starts in USB mode but it does not work. Any ideas? I have a mac but I couldn understand the alternative method.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone, first post here :)

First of all, thanks to everyone that collaborate with this awesome guide, great work!

I'm having a little issue and being the noob I am, I'm scare to make any move so I thought about asking for a little help...

I followed the guide here and was able to root my AT&T captive 2.3.5 without any issues. Everything was working fine... for a while.

After rooting, superuser was working fine. As the guide recommended I updated the SU app from the store, and also installed busybox using the smart install thingy it has (didn't mess with the settings it recommended). Lastly, I updated the SU binary to 3.1.1 through the app as it started asking for that.

I believe that either after installing BB or updating the SU binary, something went terribly wrong. What happens now is that any app that requests root permissions either fails to get the SU prompt up or hangs the phone completely. Busybox reports that it couldn't open a shell with root, rootchecker just hang checking and never ends, link2sd and a couple other apps I tried just hang everything completely requiring a battery pull. The superuser app itself hangs if trying to update the su binary again or any other root operation...

Is it possible that either the BB install or SU binary update messed with my root? I was thinking about applying the root process again, but I'm afraid that it might cause issues or even brick the thing, being in its current unstable status... in theory it should just overwrite with the version of su that's inside the patch and be happy, but that's just my theory :)

Anyone experienced this before? Any insights? I was also thinking about applying a CM ROM, in which case it might be better to directly apply corn kernel to also get CWM for recovery mode? Would that be safe to apply on top of this?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Are you using the regular SU app by ChainsDD? If so try installing Super SU by Chainfire. It solved all of my SU issues.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

So far this is the best guide I've found to root my phone. Seems like the easiest but I'm running into a connection problem. I've read through the directions which seem easy enough but after I click start I get the following:

<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:1/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:1/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:1/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 2)

No matter what I do, I get the can't open serial port message on com 4. I've verified that the phone does connect to my pc without Odin and in Odin, I do get the bright yellow indicators that it does recognize my phone. I did see one post where a gentleman tried it on a 32 bit system and it worked for him but I don't have one that I can test it from. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
Hi all,

So far this is the best guide I've found to root my phone. Seems like the easiest but I'm running into a connection problem. I've read through the directions which seem easy enough but after I click start I get the following:

<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:1/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:1/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:1/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Can't open the serial(COM) port.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 2)

No matter what I do, I get the can't open serial port message on com 4. I've verified that the phone does connect to my pc without Odin and in Odin, I do get the bright yellow indicators that it does recognize my phone. I did see one post where a gentleman tried it on a 32 bit system and it worked for him but I don't have one that I can test it from. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I originally posted here for help and waited a day before trying to root again. When I tried again (for the umpteenth time) it worked with no problem at all. I'm successfully rooted and was able to unlock my phone.

Upvote 0
Odin worked like a champ. Phone is rooted with the only issue being that I had to turn my wifi back on. Since the phone basically serves as a mini tablet now (service from ATT has not been renewed) and the sim is not provisioned I would like to unlock the phone.
How can I do that without resorting to an online service that may or may not have the code?

Upvote 0
I did the steps in early posts to root my captivate, but it became very unstable. trying to use wifi, connect to the pc would cause the phone to freeze and require a hard boot. I am back to the sock 2.3.5 and everything seems to be fine now, but i need to root to get my backups loaded. Has anybody else had the same problems?

Upvote 0
I am attempting to root and load gingerbread onto my captivate and I have gotten as far as the loading I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears.tar and on the reboot the phone gets stuck on the at&t screen. I let it sit for at least 30 or so minutes before the screen went black... I attempted to take the battery back out to hard restart and when the battery goes back in, it just goes right back to the at&t screen. I also attempted to hold the volume buttons while putting the battery back in and it gets stuck on the loading icon (spinning 8 bar star looking thing, but its not spinning).

The phone was previously rooted and had Cognition 4 loaded on it but its been acting up enough that I decided to load gingerbread. I believe the phone was rooted with clockworks previously.

If anyone has any ideas, please share! (its my wife's phone to getting it back up and running would be good!)

Upvote 0
Hi I'm in need of a little assistance been going through forums and sites for 2 days now. I need to know 1) will this work with my phone 2.3.3 gingerbread.ucke3 from what i've found its a leaked version but i just bought this phone supposedly new old stock and it came with it on it I did find a method specific to 2.3.3 on YouTube but it was so old the links were no help & 2) is there any drivers i need to download as well? I tried to do this last night got the phone in download mode but odin didn't seem to notice my phone was plugged in. In fact the computer didn't recognize the phone past noticing I plugged something in. I'd be grateful for any direction... if it be easier to upgrade to 2.3.5 then i will

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones