• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help a noobie out. New phone + Carrier.

Coby

Lurker
Jan 5, 2011
Hey guys, pretty soon here my mom and I are going to get a new cell phone account and I really want to get an Android phone. We don't know what carrier we'll be switching to yet, but it all might come down to what phone I want. I honestly haven't really looked into it that much so I'm came here to ask for some help.

Here are a couple questions I have:

What are the current best Android phones out there?

Are there any notable ones coming out soon that are as good/ better than current ones?

What carrier/phone would you choose if you were in my shoes?

Where is the best place to buy most Android phones?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions after I do some reading.

Thanks.

The Best Phones include:
Droid(Any)
HTC Incredible
Samsungs Galaxy S devices
Nexus S
Motorola Defy (almost industructable!!!!)
The ones coming out soon i hav took note of:
Sony Erricson Arc
*more to be anounced at CES over nexrt3-4 days
Service and Phone:
At&t Captivate
T-Mobile Fasinate (or whatever galaxy S phone is on it)
Place to buy:
When you create a new account the carrier you can commonly get a phone for free or really cheap after a 2- year activation (you will need to get a data plan just to get a smart phone) or check out Free Cell Phones with New Cell Phone Plans - Shop Deals from Wireless Carriers - Wirefly.com

Upvote 0
We don't know what carrier we'll be switching to yet, but it all might come down to what phone I want.
Always select the carrier first based on real world coverage where you need it. Selecting the carrier will also automatically narrow down your selection for you.

What are the current best Android phones out there?
As always with these threads, qualify exactly what you mean by best. Best is always highly subjective, regardless of the topic.

Upvote 0
best phone? what is your criteria? screen size? processor? os version? ect ect ect.
(ex. i like samsung so i got the fascinate, wife wanted a keyboard, she got a droid 2)

carrier? whats your criteria? 3g? 4g? what area are you in?
(ex. i liv ein a rural area that wont see 4g/lte for a long time. and if you want reliabe coverage here verizon is the only real option.)

you need to be much more specific in what you want.
oh and then all answers are just really opnions as everyone has different tastes.

so go to the stores and look at the variouos phones of the various carriers and see what you like

Upvote 0
Always select the carrier first based on real world coverage where you need it. Selecting the carrier will also automatically narrow down your selection for you.

As always with these threads, qualify exactly what you mean by best. Best is always highly subjective, regardless of the topic.

+100

select carrier first for best service in your area... for call and data!
dont care how great your phone is.. but if you cant call for help when you need it... it dont mean jack shiiit! think about it....

then you will know which phones are available for your selection.. normally each carrier only has 2-3 real top phone contenders.

then your opinions and values will help you pick the winner for you.

good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones