• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Help - Can't connect to my wifi network after Froyo update

This didn't work for me today when my HTC Desire suddenly decided it would no longer connect to my home wifi network. Sleep = "never" was already in force.

What did work was changing the channel on my router. It had been using channel 3 but I read elsewhere that the Desire likes channels 11 and 6, so I changed the router to 11, rebooted it, and voila - everything's working again. I hope this might help someone else who has the same problem.

Beats me why it suddenly all stopped working in the first place, though, after months with no problems.

It worked for me tooo!

Upvote 0
I have used the Wifi-connection the day after I bought it, no problems! The next day it doesn't work anymore (after installing HTC Sync?):(. I have tried several things like static IP-addr and changing the router channel from 6 to 11: I still do not get connection, it is broken the whole time and scans again and again.....Someone with a brilliant idea?

Upvote 0
I was having the same issue connecting to an Airport Express with Froyo running on a Motorola Atrix. Initially the wireless router was in WEP mode and would not connect. I changed it to WPA/WPA2 and that didn't work. Then I changed it from channel 1 (automatic) to channel 11 and that didn't work. Then I changed it to WPA2 and that did the trick! :D I didn't try changing it back to channel 1 (automatic).

Upvote 0
Hi,
Been reading these threads and saw yours, must mean you may have a different problem. I picked up on this post as I was also having issues connecting my Motorola to my Linksys.
I have several other pieces of equipment connecting via wireless without any issues, so I didn't want to make any drastic changes that would affect the others. I tried different security modes on the router, but that did not work either. What did work for me was that I enabled SSID Broadcast in the Basic Wireless Settings tab in the router, using the same WEP security mode without affecting the other equipment.

Upvote 0
for months my phone workd at home just fine on my wifi then last few days it wont connect "samson galaxy" it finds the router "belkin" says its a secured network with wpa/wpa2 i click on it and it says " scanning then it says obtaining IP adress then says connected then says dicconected then says {disabled} all happends very fast ... like i said before i have been on this many time in past "its my house" i have never added or changed anything "live alone" i DO have auto updates on phone but besides that im at a loss

o and im on my laptop atm and on the same router

also my phone works just fine at work and other places with wifi

PLEASE HELP

Upvote 0
for months my phone workd at home just fine on my wifi then last few days it wont connect "samson galaxy" it finds the router "belkin" says its a secured network with wpa/wpa2 i click on it and it says " scanning then it says obtaining IP adress then says connected then says dicconected then says {disabled} all happends very fast ... like i said before i have been on this many time in past "its my house" i have never added or changed anything "live alone" i DO have auto updates on phone but besides that im at a loss

o and im on my laptop atm and on the same router

also my phone works just fine at work and other places with wifi

PLEASE HELP

The original Galaxy? You might want to head over to the Galaxy subforum: Samsung Galaxy S - Android Forums, they should be able to assist (this is the Desire HD section).

Upvote 0
I found the instructions below and they worked for me.
I have a galaxy nexus thats would not connect to my wifi at home. I have a microsoft mn-700 router and i tried all the tips on this thread but nothing worked. I kept getting the same obtaining ip address message when i tried to connect to my wifi.

Hope it helps

We can prob get you connected without needing the admin password - you should get it for future needs anyway.

Hold the Thrive in portrait mode so the keyboard does not hide the settings Go to Settings >> Wireless and Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> tap your network name, Tap FORGET Now when your network name shows up again under wifi settings ....

Select security type Enter password, it is case sensitive.

tap the triangle where it says DHCP, select "static"

Enter 192.168.2.38

the "connect" is greyed out .... right?

Enter gateway 192.168.2.1

RE-ENTER prefix 24 (all the greyed out fields must be re-entered, even if the info is the same)

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

You have no more greyed out fields correct?, and CONNECT brightened up again? Correct?

tap CONNECT you should be connected to the network in-house, (but not be necessarily be able to access the internet).

Only if you are not yet accessing the internet, , power down (UNPLUG) your modem for 20 seconds, and plug it in again, let it re-boot. (do not reset it.)

Everything working now?

Upvote 0
I found the instructions below and they worked for me.
I have a galaxy nexus thats would not connect to my wifi at home. I have a microsoft mn-700 router and i tried all the tips on this thread but nothing worked. I kept getting the same obtaining ip address message when i tried to connect to my wifi.

Hope it helps

We can prob get you connected without needing the admin password - you should get it for future needs anyway.

Hold the Thrive in portrait mode so the keyboard does not hide the settings Go to Settings >> Wireless and Networks >> Wi-Fi settings >> tap your network name, Tap FORGET Now when your network name shows up again under wifi settings ....

Select security type Enter password, it is case sensitive.

tap the triangle where it says DHCP, select "static"

Enter 192.168.2.38

the "connect" is greyed out .... right?

Enter gateway 192.168.2.1

RE-ENTER prefix 24 (all the greyed out fields must be re-entered, even if the info is the same)

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

Enter DNS2 192.168.2.1

You have no more greyed out fields correct?, and CONNECT brightened up again? Correct?

tap CONNECT you should be connected to the network in-house, (but not be necessarily be able to access the internet).

Only if you are not yet accessing the internet, , power down (UNPLUG) your modem for 20 seconds, and plug it in again, let it re-boot. (do not reset it.)

Everything working now?

Just wanted to chime in and say this method WORKED completely for me, and after months of research, has been the ONLY one that has worked.

It seems the Microsoft MN-700 router is specific to this problem. All >Gingerbread devices were incompatible with my router until I manually did this, bypassing DHCP.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones