• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Help Un-rooting and Factory Reset LG Esteem

Working right now..did a little testing today...should be able to fix you up Monday afternoon..will post up here or pm you:thumbup::D
The main problem that I've been having with the phone is that my messaging Apps will suddenly stop working. I've gone through the stock app, handcent, and currently go sms. Wondering if I should un-root and take into Metro?

Upvote 0
The main problem that I've been having with the phone is that my messaging Apps will suddenly stop working. I've gone through the stock app, handcent, and currently go sms. Wondering if I should un-root and take into Metro?

Have you tried deleting all text messages? Just read that this was a fix for a similar issue on a different Android device.

EDIT: Might have what is called "rogue sms", which is like a virus sent through text messages. I have read that many devices had this problem and what they did is delete every last message that is in your phone. Honestly, MetroPCS is going to do a factory reset, i can almost promise that. The problem has nothing to do with root i dont think since others with this problem dont even know what Root is LOL.

Definitely try deleting all your messages before making drastic changes like that (Rather lose my messages than all my data).

Or use ROM Manager to Fix Permissions...

Hope this helps.

Reactions: RaeG
Upvote 0
Ok..you have made a backup in recovery
Fixed permissions
Want to stay on stock
Lets give this a try..delete(uninstall) all of your messaging apps...reboot..then download this right to your phone:
Stock messaging app
http://db.tt/6hhcAPsE
Reboot and try it out.
I've uninstalled Handcent and Go SMS Pro, but I can't find how to uninstall
the stock messaging app. I've mostly read on other forums that you can
block it from appearing on the phone through root but not actually uninstall.
The other suggestion I've read was to use Titanium Backup to delete it.
Which should I use (if any)?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Have you tried deleting all text messages? Just read that this was a fix for a similar issue on a different Android device.

EDIT: Might have what is called "rogue sms", which is like a virus sent through text messages. I have read that many devices had this problem and what they did is delete every last message that is in your phone. Honestly, MetroPCS is going to do a factory reset, i can almost promise that. The problem has nothing to do with root i dont think since others with this problem dont even know what Root is LOL.

Definitely try deleting all your messages before making drastic changes like that (Rather lose my messages than all my data).

Or use ROM Manager to Fix Permissions...

Hope this helps.
I've deleted all of my texts before and completed the "Fix Permissions". I'm starting to think that I just have a malfunctioning phone...

Upvote 0
I've uninstalled Handcent and Go SMS Pro, but I can't find how to uninstall
the stock messaging app. I've mostly read on other forums that you can
block it from appearing on the phone through root but not actually uninstall.
The other suggestion I've read was to use Titanium Backup to delete it.
Which should I use (if any)?
Thanks!

you can freeze the stock sms app using titu, or you can use rom tool box pro to remove it also.

Reactions: RaeG and gbiggie
Upvote 0
Hey- I was looking for a solution to something similar. My lg got squirrely after updating an ad block program. Granted, it was lagging on touch commands for the last week, but the ad block app was its undoing. I did what you said- every thing is great now. Deleted txt mssgs, backed up personal info, ran the rom permissions (lots of stuff on the screen for a few min) then did the recovery. THANKS for your posts where us old guys can still learn a trick or two!

Upvote 0
Hey- I was looking for a solution to something similar. My lg got squirrely after updating an ad block program. Granted, it was lagging on touch commands for the last week, but the ad block app was its undoing. I did what you said- every thing is great now. Deleted txt mssgs, backed up personal info, ran the rom permissions (lots of stuff on the screen for a few min) then did the recovery. THANKS for your posts where us old guys can still learn a trick or two!

All good:D:thumbup:
Who you calling old:thinking:
I'm only 45..LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones