• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hero won't connect to PC

JLeslie

May 6, 2010
Up through yesterday I've had no problem connecting my Hero to my main PC (Win7 x64) for charging or data transfer. But now today I connected it up and I get a message that the PC can't install the driver and that the device isn't recognized. I don't know why it would be trying to install the driver when I've had it connected numerous times before so the driver should already be loaded.

Any ideas why it would suddenly fail? The charging aspect of course still works since that's just a physical connection.

I can connect the phone to another PC running Win7 x86 just fine. I can also connect a different phone to the x64 PC so USB is working on it. Perhaps I need to somehow remove the drivers from the x64 PC and try it again.

JL

Try going into Device Manager with it connected. Maybe you can uninstall the device.

I have never personally run into this issue though. Let us know if the above helps.

Sorry I forgot to say that I already tried going into DM and uninstalling then doing a discover of new devices. It gave me the same message that it couldn't do it.

JL

Upvote 0
Are you using the OEM USB cable? Sometimes third party cables can act wonky with the Sprint HTC Hero.

I have seen charging issues and PC detection issues. If an OEM USB cable is what you are using, maybe you need to replace it.
That was it! Thanks! It's still puzzling to me though why the cable I was using works fine if the phone is connected to another PC, but works only for charging now on my main PC. If the cable is going bad then it should be affecting the phone in the same way no matter which PC it's connected to.

Upvote 0
The Sprint HTC Hero has always been kind of sensitive to this, in my experience. It hates third party cables too.

My friend tried a third party USB cable to charge his handset and the screen would start going nuts. It was like it was possessed.

This was a third party cable which worked fine for years and still works with the phone and other PCs. It just stopped working completely with my main PC. But the cable that came with the phone works great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones