• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

High-res HTC_ime

More on topic though, I actually dont like the HTC keyboard, it seems cluttered to me. Personally I like stock :) Couldn't get into Swype either. *shrug*

Cool that people have options to suit their preferences though. :)

Yeah I agree. I've tried better keyboard swype and both the low and hi res HTC ones. The HTC ones are bugged, but I think I'd still prefer the stock.
I don't get all this fuss about being like the iPhone keyboard. I really don't see any difference other than looks, and maybe auto correct and dictionary databases. I've typed on my friends iPhone numerous times, I still don't get how it's so much better, other than the multi-touch, which the HTC one doesn't have so that's a moot point.

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree. I've tried better keyboard swype and both the low and hi res HTC ones. The HTC ones are bugged, but I think I'd still prefer the stock.
I don't get all this fuss about being like the iPhone keyboard. I really don't see any difference other than looks, and maybe auto correct and dictionary databases. I've typed on my friends iPhone numerous times, I still don't get how it's so much better, other than the multi-touch, which the HTC one doesn't have so that's a moot point.
The point is that it has a itap/T9 like input and a compact qwerty style keyboards to use instead of the full qwerty keyboard. In the reg portrait mode i prefer the phone pad option to txt people vs the full keyboard. Sad, i know, but that's just me.

Upvote 0
I know that the XDA Devs usually work on HTC phones and have decided to go and work on some others recently, but some have felt that they have leftou the Droid of the mix wether on purpose or by accident. Well I looked today and noticed that they are working on fixing and getting this one app working right on Droid...

Changelog:
High res:
Version 9: Fixed the screwed up enter key in v8. Added experimental voice server settings. For German to work you will have to use the alternative server.
Version 8: Added custom word candidates bar. Fixed wacky SHIFT key. Word candidate list position now remembered. Configurable in settings dialog. Added some Extras to voice input Intent copied from stock KB (missed earlier). One step closer to Droid landscape support.
Version 7: Fixed compatibility with Terminal Emulator in CyanogenMod, KB going haywire in CoPilot and word candidate list shows to low (hid active input field sometimes like in stock messaging app). Lowered android:minSdkVersion from 7 to 3. This could mean stock Droid support, but don't complain when it FC's on Cupcake
Version 6: Tweaks to the sentence auto capitalization code. Should now work in most web browser forms such as the message composer on this forum. Tweaked enter key behavior a bit.
Version 5: Show voice input button for all languages instead of EN button in all keyboards that uses the same layouts as the English ones. To fix this in all other layouts, modding binary XML is required. I need help with that. Voice input seems to use your current locale if supported, and English as fallback.
Version 4: New voice input control logic that doesn't break Google Voice search. Changed voice processing URL from dev server to stock keyboard settings.
Version 3: Fixed FC in User Dictionary editor. Fixed HTC not obeying EditorInfo.imeOption flag flagNoEnterAction (caused two sends in stock messaging app)
Version 2: Fixed FC in user database
Version 1: Initial release featuring language settings hack with .htcime and dictionary support in web browser forms. Tested on N1. Clicker is low res for now.

Upvote 0
In version 9, the issues with the hardware keyboard in landscape are worked out.

The soft keyboard still doesn't work in Landscape, but at least the hardware one works without errors popping up.
▼
▲

And the word prediction/spellcheck works with the hardware keyboard! Stock doesn't do that. I'm using it now, that outweighs having a landscape soft keyboard for me. The force closes prevented me from using it before.

edit: all you have to do is hit the text box where you respond to text messages. I don't see it working in search and stuff, but I don't see it working there in portrait mode either. It works on text boxes inside the browser and in the email client too.

If the prediction isn't there when you slide out the keyboard, touch an area outside of the text box then press on the text box to type again and it should start working.

Upvote 0
I have both the iphone and droid, I can JAM on the iphone with text with little to no errors (highly because of auto correction and dictionary) and with the droid stock keyboard does a good job too, but when I installed the HTC keyboard it feels great! I don't even look at what im typing and look up after its done and everything is perfect...

Just wish the landscape was working because I have huge hands and its much easier to type in landscape for me, I dont like the physical keypad on the droid.

Upvote 0
If only we could get the droid sans keyboard, with this high res htc_ime now we could easily go w/out having the keyboard. Maybe i should ditch the droid for the nexus one (if this doesn't have the 3g issues it's gsm counter part has) when it comes out for verizon now that we have this sweet virtual keyboard.

Upvote 0
couple things i don't like right now about this keyboard:

1. when typing in hardware keyboard mode, you have to press the input box EACH TIME after sending/inputting a message if you want the auto correct to be turned on.

2. suggestions block the text input box.

other than that, this thing is damn near perfect. in portrait mode anyway.

Upvote 0
^ I haven't used the hardware keyboard since getting the HTC_IME (I never used the hardware keyboard much on this phone to begin with), so I'm not sure how to solve issue #1.

BUT... you can move the word candidate box by long pressing and dragging it to your desired position and it should save (if you're using v9). You can also go in settings and check the box to enable the custom word candidate box, which emulates the one in the stock android keyboard.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: gotwillk
Upvote 0
^ What exactly would multitouch bring to this keyboard that it doesn't have? Does it not register your key presses? Because I don't think i'm a slow texter by any means and it doesn't have any problems registering all the keys I press.

The reason for having multitouch on most of the other soft keyboards was due to them reacting too slowly, causing keys not to register when people typed too quickly. This does not seem to be a problem for me on this keyboard, nor have I read any complaints in that regard from the many, many other users...

Upvote 0
^ I haven't used the hardware keyboard since getting the HTC_IME (I never used the hardware keyboard much on this phone to begin with), so I'm not sure how to solve issue #1.

BUT... you can move the word candidate box by long pressing and dragging it to your desired position and it should save (if you're using v9). You can also go in settings and check the box to enable the custom word candidate box, which emulates the one in the stock android keyboard.

Hope that helps.

awesome! did not know you can move that box around. thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0
i really like this keyboard and keep deleting it and going back to swype because i get a force close when i am, say, online and have my physical keyboard open. i cant type anything with the keyboard when i have my input set to the eris keyboard. when this is fixed i would pay for this keyboard and give up swype..

anyone have a fix for this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
i really like this keyboard and keep deleting it and going back to swype because i get a force close when i am, say, online and have my physical keyboard open. i cant type anything with the keyboard when i have my input set to the eris keyboard. when this is fixed i would pay for this keyboard and give up swype..

anyone have a fix for this?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

what version of the keyboard are you using? i believe this bug was fixed in the most recent release (v9)

Upvote 0
what version of the keyboard are you using? i believe this bug was fixed in the most recent release (v9)

I had v7.. I tried download v9 but it kept saying the downloads unsuccessful. I will try to get it on my pc when I get home. I was able to download v8 and that update has fixed the issue. I like what these guys are doing. Hopefully the keep supporting the Droid

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones