• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How delicate are smartphones? I have a toddler! Thinking of Desire (HD?), Defy, other suggestions?

Manuela

Dec 21, 2010
UK
I'm a newbie, so be gentle with me :D

I really would love to get a android smartphone (I have an antique mobile that just about works so this will be a HUGE step for me) and I am really drawn to the HTC Desire or even the Desire HD but not sure how well one of those will cope with life with me and my toddler :rolleyes: He's 19 months old and a little bit of a handful at times and I have been known to give him my mobile wich just about plays vidoes to keep him quiet for a minute or two... until he throws it across the room :eek:. How I wouldn't let him do this with a new smartphone but there probably will be times when he'll find it lying on the side or pull it out of my handbag.... :rolleyes:

Being made of glass, perhaps I should wait another year or 2 until my little boy is older and better behaved but I really want one now! Do you think a Desire / Desire HD would survive in our home (with a protector - any particular recommendations welcomed!) or perhaps I should only be thinking of the more rugged Motorola Defy? (If so, would you recommend getting a protector for that too?) Or do you have any other suggestions? I can't be the only parent on here...

If it makes any difference, I am based in the UK and I'm currently on the 3 network. Thanks!

Reactions: lunameow
I wouldn't worry about the glass screen so much as accidental calls to phones on the other side of the world. ;)

Providing the kid with his or her own, special phone might be the way to go.

08290a.jpg

Upvote 0
I was actually wondering this same thing. I see people posting about "baby" apps that entertain their small children and letting their kids play with their phones, and I have to wonder. I've seen how babies "play" by slamming toys into things, eating them, or throwing them across the room. I freak out of one of my cats gets too close to the phone, I can't imagine letting a baby play with it.

I can tell you that I was super-cautious at first. Mine came with a free-but-ugly case that I left on for the first week because I was terrified that I'd drop my phone and that'd be the end of it. Since then, I've dropped it without a case on a hardwood floor about half a dozen times with no damage at all. (Granted, this was from low heights, maybe 2-3 feet... I'm terrible at remembering to take it out of my pocket when I undress.) I do absolutely recommend a screen protector, though. My old phone wasn't even a touchscreen, and after just a year, the protector on it was scratched all to pieces, but the screen underneath is still in perfect condition.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't worry about the glass screen so much as accidental calls to phones on the other side of the world. ;)

Providing the kid with his or her own, special phone might be the way to go.

08290a.jpg

Frisco, thanks. I am hoping to find some sort of lock (or a locking app?) to avoid the phonecalls to overseas grandparents (or emergency services!) and he even has several play phones but none are as attractive as the one that mummy plays with :D:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
You can get a "delicate" Android phone and use a super strong case for it. There are some amazingly rugged cases for phones these days.

That sounds great! There so seem to be lots of cases available for the different phones but I can't seem to figure out how much protection they each provide :thinking: :thinking:. Is there anywhere I can find comparisons, or perhaps you could suggest a few makes? I don't mind that they will add bulk to the phone. Also I'm trying to figure out how delicate the different phones are... my guess is the bigger the screen (e.g. Desire HD), the more delicate... or is that incorrect? And I'm not really sure how rugged a Defy actually is :thinking:

Upvote 0
I was actually wondering this same thing. I see people posting about "baby" apps that entertain their small children and letting their kids play with their phones, and I have to wonder. I've seen how babies "play" by slamming toys into things, eating them, or throwing them across the room. I freak out of one of my cats gets too close to the phone, I can't imagine letting a baby play with it.

I can tell you that I was super-cautious at first. Mine came with a free-but-ugly case that I left on for the first week because I was terrified that I'd drop my phone and that'd be the end of it. Since then, I've dropped it without a case on a hardwood floor about half a dozen times with no damage at all. (Granted, this was from low heights, maybe 2-3 feet... I'm terrible at remembering to take it out of my pocket when I undress.) I do absolutely recommend a screen protector, though. My old phone wasn't even a touchscreen, and after just a year, the protector on it was scratched all to pieces, but the screen underneath is still in perfect condition.

Thanks lunameow (great username btw :D). I can't figure out why people would let their little ones play with such phones either, but each to their own... if nothing else, I couldn't really afford to repair/replace mine if anything happened to it!!! I know there will be times when things just happen though :rolleyes: and murphy's law means that mine would break! Yup, I'll definately be getting a screen protector, that's a definate! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks lunameow (great username btw :D). I can't figure out why people would let their little ones play with such phones either, but each to their own... if nothing else, I couldn't really afford to repair/replace mine if anything happened to it!!! I know there will be times when things just happen though :rolleyes: and murphy's law means that mine would break! Yup, I'll definately be getting a screen protector, that's a definate! :D

A set of wooden blocks are age appropriate, almost indestructable, entertaining, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a new phone.

Upvote 0
I would recommend researching and making sure whatever you get is equipped with Gorilla Glass from Owens Corning. The Galaxy S models and a few others all have it.

They still break if you drop it and don't have a nice leave-on case though. The Gorilla Glass simply cuts way down on the chance of getting a scratch on the screen.

My business partner broke his Samsung Mesmerize the second day he had it. It was in his shirt pocket, no case, and fell out when he bent over. It hit the concrete and the screen shattered. I've dropped mine probably 4 times from twice that height with a good leave-on case bought at Best Buy without any problems.

But really, don't let your kid get addicted to Angry Birds please. ;-) My wife and three year old both already did, and then you never get to have your own phone. I had to buy her the same phone just so I could have mine back.

And get your carrier's protection plan. For the $3 to $5 a month it's well worth it - if you have to replace the phone once or twice in 2 years due to damage you've made money. I have 12 lines on my corporate account, and every single one has a protection plan. And I think every phone has to use it at least once during the contract.

Reactions: Manuela
Upvote 0
I think you should be fine..
Make sure you make him understand..he is get a treat to play with it ...and must show respect..our it will be taken away.

Use a good case..and keep away from water.
You can also get insurance..
There are apps to lock calls out...or you can put a button on the screen to turn on airplane mode when you give him the phone.

There are some good apps to entertain and educate a young mind.

My daughter loved my phone...and she was very careful with it.

Upvote 0
With the kind of phone ( which is what I have) you definitely need an otterbox defender case. Ebay has them much cheaper than your local stores. I am not affiliated with otterbox in anyway but I did alot of research before buying a case and have to say for right now they are the best for protection out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSCkAmij7P0

Thank you for that link, excellent! I hadn't found any other cases that have both hard and gel surround, so the otterbox will be my benchmark for my research :D I'll let you know if I find anything else as good! This is really great as it means that I can have a wider option of phones :D

Upvote 0
I would recommend researching and making sure whatever you get is equipped with Gorilla Glass from Owens Corning. The Galaxy S models and a few others all have it.

They still break if you drop it and don't have a nice leave-on case though. The Gorilla Glass simply cuts way down on the chance of getting a scratch on the screen.

My business partner broke his Samsung Mesmerize the second day he had it. It was in his shirt pocket, no case, and fell out when he bent over. It hit the concrete and the screen shattered. I've dropped mine probably 4 times from twice that height with a good leave-on case bought at Best Buy without any problems.

But really, don't let your kid get addicted to Angry Birds please. ;-) My wife and three year old both already did, and then you never get to have your own phone. I had to buy her the same phone just so I could have mine back.

And get your carrier's protection plan. For the $3 to $5 a month it's well worth it - if you have to replace the phone once or twice in 2 years due to damage you've made money. I have 12 lines on my corporate account, and every single one has a protection plan. And I think every phone has to use it at least once during the contract.

Thank you, looks like Gorilla Glass will be the way forward for me... plus a screen protector and a case protector. :D

Upvote 0
Thanks again everyone... I decided that a bigger screen is best for me, so have gone for a desire HD! It's just arrived, so I'm off to play with it :D
My HTC HD2 was electronically poorly designed: directional antenna, charge-voltage sensitive, overheated, ... then broke, electronically.

The Defy's smaller screen allows less movement with my thumb to reach all corners of the screen. 4.3 inches forced hand movements, that threatened dropping the unit (onto the floor, into the toilet, etc).

With heavy electrical use (wifi, battery charging, multitasking, gpu & cpu-demanding apps ... both phones overheated. In both situations, I remove the rear case cover.

Over heating rechargable batteries, like most batteries, will quickly destroy them.

Back to the main topic - my 9 year old enjoyed the 60 freeware games. She literally jerked/ dropped the phone as she "shared" her impulsiveness with everyone near her.

Apple has pretend Gorilla glass. Very happy with the Defy ... probably cos it easily fits into my large hands, heavy physical use, and Asian optical-short-sightnesss. Small fonts, etc don't bother me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones