• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire 3g problem

I've also noticed that some sites will not load over 3g unless I disable javascript. For example, TechRadar UK | Technology News And Reviews. Being curious about this, I had a look at the http requests for this site (on my pc, not my mobile) using a tool called Fiddler and there are an astonishing 166 requests made with scripts enabled (in Internet Explorer). This drops to "just" 27 requests with scripts disabled.

If there is a problem with the 3g connection in the Desire (and the Nexus One by the sounds of it) and it has something to do with getting stuck when loading pages, reducing the number of objects requested should reduce the chance of error. It's not a fix by any means, as JavaScript is necessary for lots of sites, but it is something to do in the meantime. I have also disabled Flash.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to say I am having the same problem with my HTC Desire on 3. The default browser seems to get stuck quite often and does not load web pages. I have a 3g connection and other programs have no problem downloading /accessing the internet i.e. marker, opera mini, email etc..

Sorry to hear you have a problem, but to be clear I don't think this is actually the same problem I have experienced. I either get data access for all programs or not at all - I don't see any icon for data access when the problem strikes, be it G, 3G or H (never seen 'E' on the Desire, does it have Edge?).

The only sure way (touch wood) so far I've found to get access back is to pop out the battery and restart the phone, at which point the phone has always (so far) connected correctly straight away.

Upvote 0
...and having popped out the battery, put it back in and switched the phone back on, I immediately got a HSDPA connection.

I also do have 3G Watchdog installed, I wonder if that could be related? I did notice that with the last update the setting for showing the icon only when 3G is active no longer works, and the problems seem to have started at around the time I installed the last update. If the problems persist I'll uninstall it to see if that helps.

I had this problem for the first time today, i am on t-mobile,
last night i installed 3g watchdog for the first time!

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you have a problem, but to be clear I don't think this is actually the same problem I have experienced. I either get data access for all programs or not at all - I don't see any icon for data access when the problem strikes, be it G, 3G or H (never seen 'E' on the Desire, does it have Edge?).

The only sure way (touch wood) so far I've found to get access back is to pop out the battery and restart the phone, at which point the phone has always (so far) connected correctly straight away.

Hi,

Point taken - I have started a separate thread.

Upvote 0
Hi !
Same "no data at all" after switching off my wifi on Orange CH on my Desire.
I have a workaround, much faster than rebooting the Desire : turn on the Plane mode, then off, you have to put your SIM code, then the data is back...
Hope they will fix this, cause when you're not looking at it, no push to mail is working...
Seems to be Android related...

Reactions: rtb35 and Vip8888
Upvote 0
Hi !
Same "no data at all" after switching off my wifi on Orange CH on my Desire.
I have a workaround, much faster than rebooting the Desire : turn on the Plane mode, then off, you have to put your SIM code, then the data is back...
Hope they will fix this, cause when you're not looking at it, no push to mail is working...
Seems to be Android related...

Thanks for that workaround. Unfortunately none of the workarounds worked this morning, so I again had to pop out the battery. Starting to get a bit concerned that the back of the phone won't hold up with all the constant taking it off/putting it back on again...

As it seems 3G Watchdog could be related, I've now uninstalled it and will see if the problem persists.

Upvote 0
My Deire stopped data over the weekend, and after checking under settings, it had changed itself (yes itself) to WCDMA ONLY. I had voice, but no data.

Set back to auto, and have both 3G and HSPDA data again.

Very odd.

Thanks, I'll check that next time it happens.

It seems 3G watchdog is unrelated btw, as I uninstalled it yesterday and still experienced the problem this evening. I am wondering if perhaps Timeriffic could be related. Do other people having seen the problem have this installed?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm on o2 and I have have the same issue. It's like a connectivity issue and all data signal just disapears. I've noticed that's it returns after a while of its own accord. Yesterday it happened twice and all internet was lost through all browsers, (opera and market included). Sometimes it last 5 minutes, sometimes several hours. I once tried airplane mode without success. I've also got 3g watchdog installed. Maybe unconnected, but sometimes I see the H icon whilst on wifi (or e or g etc) sometimes I don't. When I come out of wifi I get the symbol back but not always. Sometimes the problem involves having h or e showing, but with no arrows indicating not data passing? Not help m afraid, next time ill remove battery see of it works

Upvote 0
hey people any help
i seem to be having a lot of trouble with the browser. Pages aren't loading properly, unable to log on anything such as my university microsoft i type in the necessary details and then press log on and have no such luck, i try emailing people back write the email press send and nothing happens, facebook also doesn't let me comment on statuse or write my own as again i write then press share or comment and then nothing. i've only this phone for a day and its driving me mad already its all on 3g i've got no wifi coverage ://

j

Upvote 0
I have the same error on my Desire that I got since few days.
I'm currently roaming in Belgium with proximus. The first time I turn on the Mobile data, it connects and works fine. If I turn it off (or if I loose the signal) and then turn it back on, the phone does not connect anymore to the Mobile data.

The only way to get it back connected is to turn the phone off and back on or, more simply, to put airplane mode on and then off.

It is not related to 3GWatchdog, I don't have it installed on my PC.

It's a very annoying behaviour, if there is no fix I'm going to return the phone, as it's useless (I use it for company e-mail, with push enabled, but if it doesn't connect....) :(

Upvote 0
Reading the T-mob forum in a bit more detail I came across the following link, looks like my issue could be a problem with Android.

Issue 2207 - android - Net access fails after leaving WiFi - Project Hosting on Google Code

I finally found some time to read through the linked thread in more detail, and it seems this is a general problem with Android (not just the Desire) that's been ongoing for the best part of a year. Very disappointing... :(

That said, there is a potential workaround in that thread that seems to work for some people. If you go to the Wi-Fi settings on the phone, then press the menu button there's an option for 'Advanced', clicking this you can specify a 'Wi-Fi sleep policy'. By default this is set to 'Never', but by changing it to 'After 15 min' it seems to alleviate the problem, so I've changed my setting and will report back if I still see the problem. Apparently the problem seems to be related to having had the Wi-Fi switched on for a long time, at which point it does not switch back to 3G. By setting the sleep policy to switch off Wi-Fi when not in use, the theory seems to be that as 3G access is returned more often then the problem should not appear.

Upvote 0
An update from me. I move in and out of WiFi hotspots at work a lot. I'm confident that my issue at least is somehow WiFi connected. It does it two or three times a day. If I turn WiFi off manually before leaving the hotbot I've been good so far. It's a pain in the ass, but with the poor battery in this device, I'm getting use to turning things off that I don't need and keeping them off till I repuire them.

Upvote 0
I've had my Desire for a couple of weeks now, but am experiencing some problems. The main problem is that I'm not always able to access mobile Internet even when there is coverage. When this happens I just can't get onto the net at all (no symbol for 3g etc) even if I try to switch off and on the mobile Internet.

The only solution I've found when this happens is to reboot the phone, once rebooted I get 3g access. Which brings me to the second problem, in that trying to switch off the phone it just hangs and I eventually have to take out the battery to be able to restart the phone.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems, or is my phone perhaps faulty?

Had the same issue with T-Mobile in Holland. Resetting to the factory settings and getting a new simcard didn`t help. I changed the settings in network settings from gsm/wcdma to only wcdma and now the problem is fixed. Downloading is snappy and fast.
Hope this works for you

Upvote 0
I have been having similar problems, but i am not sure if its related to wifi because i dont really switch between the two that often.

My problem is that it takes forever to connect to the 3g (ie get the icon on the bar) sometimes i have to turn the mobile network off and on a few times before it works, usually it wont work even though its connected. Just the upstream arrow lights up and i can't access anything.

I just tried something and it seemed to help in the Wireless and networking > mobile networks> network operators

There is a search net works and select automatically.

I pressed those two and i got a registered on network message. That seems to help for now.

I am on orange btw.

Upvote 0
Hi,
My first post here......be gentle:) I too have un-branded Desire with Orange card in it.I can connect to the internet but I never get 3G icon lit up.Does this mean I am not connected to 3G network?and only cennected to slower G network? I have tried to set the phone for WCDMA only but the phone reboots and auto selects GSM/WCDMA option.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards.

Upvote 0
Vip,

What speeds are you getting when you have a signal?

Might be useful if other t-mob users coudl have a look too, speed test.net is a free app that'll let you look.

Currently having issues with them myself with only getting 44Kbps :mad: which as you can imagine is a tad limitiing for general web browsing let alone using the sat nav etc.

Upvote 0
Hi same issue with Desire in NL - Vodafone.

SD card seems to have stopped working, 3G HDCPA was switching all the time (SMS was not received, after switch to only GPRS it started receiving SMS again)
Connection synching with Exchange is lost, it can't sync email, contacts and agenda anymore.

:mad: so a big f...... mess.

Probably only factory reset will help, if it will help at all.......

Any great ideas are welcome.

Bye
Marco

Upvote 0
Same issue with Desire in Holland on KPN.

When I'm on wifi and leave my house or any other wifi spot, I have no 3G / HSDPA-connection.

Switching Desire off and on will work, to go into 3G/HSDPA.
Going to Flight modus and back to normal does not work for me.

One solution is to stay in 3G all the time, but hey, that's not why I've got wifi.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones