• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC Desire upgrade to 2.2

^^ THANK YOU RESPONDED.... plz dont leave me .....
Backup happened nicely, I got the message that backup has been done, then I opted install ROM from SD card and chose the zip file ,,,,,, it did its updating and I could see the progress bar, booted couple of times and then got stuck at white screen with HTC logo
I waited for like 15-20 minutes and then plugged out the battery and restarted the phone ..... it then got past the HTC screen but now is stuck at android logo on a black screen for the past 15 minutes ........

Can you plz comeon Gtalk for a moment ... I am really getting tensed here ....
my ID is sam27sep@gmail.com

Upvote 0
Sounds like something went wrong with your ROM sam. It always takes longer to boot the 1st time you install a ROM but 15mins is longer than I have ever waited.

You have the option to flash the rom from the recvery, you can try that. If it doesn't work, re-load your backup to get the phone working and try a different ROM. I would try the original ROM before removing the wavesecure in-case you accidentaly changed something else in the process.

Dan, does Sam need to flash a new radio before the ROM will work?

Upvote 0
^^ THANK YOU RESPONDED.... plz dont leave me .....
Backup happened nicely, I got the message that backup has been done, then I opted install ROM from SD card and chose the zip file ,,,,,, it did its updating and I could see the progress bar, booted couple of times and then got stuck at white screen with HTC logo
I waited for like 15-20 minutes and then plugged out the battery and restarted the phone ..... it then got past the HTC screen but now is stuck at android logo on a black screen for the past 15 minutes ........

Just edited above.... But

Try another battery pull. Did you do a wipe?

You may need to try and flash it again using recovery (vol down + power from Off) or you can even restore to your previous rom from here.

Upvote 0
Sounds like something went wrong with your ROM sam. It always takes longer to boot the 1st time you install a ROM but 15mins is longer than I have ever waited.

You have the option to flash the rom from the recvery, you can try that. If it doesn't work, re-load your backup to get the phone working and try a different ROM. I would try the original ROM before removing the wavesecure in-case you accidentaly changed something else in the process.

Radio is built in. Got to travel home now but I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Upvote 0

Seems Dan is moving home,, can you help me out here ......which option to choose from the menu I mentioned above ..... ???

If I choose Install zip from memory card, I can see my mem card dir structure, but where did the Rom Manager put my original ROM .... coz I did take the back ..... cant locate the original ROM

Upvote 0
Booted in to recovery and then what ..
which option to choose I have green menu with

1. apply SD card update zip
2, wipe date factory/factory reset
3. wipe cache partition
4. install zip from SD card
5. nandroid
6. partitions menu
7. advanced

Often people recomend a wipe before installing a new ROM, especially 2.1-2.2. You can try pressing 2 and wiping the cache/data.

You want Option 4 to flash the ROM again. Just need to remember where it is on your card and select it.

If it fails and you want the phone back to 2.1 to use it before tryng again, you want 5. Your backup will be saved with the date, and I think the time, the backup was created.

Upvote 0
@sam9s

"^^ Yes you can root and leave the phone with 2.1, thats what I had done, untill you decide to install custom ROM ,,,, also as danfrance said, installing the FOA HTC 2.2 update will remove your rooting and you have to re root again ......"

Did this remove the operator branding and junk apps?

Hope you get yours sorted!

If you only root, you won't see any difference with your phone. The only noticable change is that the app Superuser is now visible. All branding and bloatware will remain, but you can get default sense roms that are unbranded. You can also remove apps by pushing commands to the phone I think but I have not looked into that much.

Reactions: markfireblade97
Upvote 0
Ok wiped the data and cache and reinstalling the MoDaCo ROM ....lets hope this works .... also does it matter the name of the zip file, I might have missed a character or so while zipping up the MoDaCo files after removing that wave secure ...

The filename doesn't matter as long as its not update.zip

You only had to open it and delete the file and close it. Not unzip it, delete it and rezip it. This could be the problem

Upvote 0
Ok wiped the data and cache and reinstalling the MoDaCo ROM ....lets hope this works .... also does it matter the name of the zip file, I might have missed a character or so while zipping up the MoDaCo files after removing that wave secure ...

That I don't know. RomManager and Clockwork will install any zip, you could call it 1.zip as far as I know. I don't know if the rom needs to have the right file name for the installation process. It may be looking for a file and not finding it because of the zip name, but again I have no idea.

If the file does not work, try the un-modified one. If that works, you know it's something you did, and you just have to try again and fix the custom Rom.

Upvote 0
THUNDERING TYPHOONS!!! Finally I was booted and it actually did not take more then 2,3 minutes to fully boot. ......I am now at customizing the initial setup, like wifi etc, I think now I can safely assume than I am through .......

THANK YOU Danfrance and ajanu for your support and patience to get me sorted out ..... next time I will be more vigilant.

I will continue to set the phone up, will knock your door again if I need further assistance .. :D ....... THANK YOU AGAIN SINCERELY .....

Upvote 0
Guys I have just started the back up process through Titanium and I dont know for what reason its giving me message of "Low on space" in every applications it is installing ......how is that possible ....all the applications were backed up from the working phone and was clean swiped as well, but now while I restore it keep saying low on space ..... any idea whats wrong

Upvote 0
I'm assuming you don't have A2SD+ installed. You would have had to partition your SD card if you do.

Since you now have 2.2, you do have A2SD. Once you have your apps installed, go into settings-applications, and you can see a list of all installed apps. From there you can push many of them to your SD card, freeing up phone memory.

There is an App in the market called App 2 SD move that will move everything for you as well.

After I installed a few ROMs I noticed the low memory error. I have pushed everything I can (save what I want to start on boot) to the SD card and I don't have the issue anymore.

Upvote 0
Guys I have just started the back up process through Titanium and I dont know for what reason its giving me message of "Low on space" in every applications it is installing ......how is that possible ....all the applications were backed up from the working phone and was clean swiped as well, but now while I restore it keep saying low on space ..... any idea whats wrong

Hopefully you downloaded the MoDaCo Rom which had A2SD+? The middle one I suggested?

If so:

Create a folder on your PC desktop called SDCARD.

Copy the entire contents of your SDCard into this folder.

format your SD card in the phone. Go into Rom manager and select Partion SD card. Select 512MB. Not sure if there is an option to convert to EXT3 or not, but if there is, do it.

Once done, Copy everything from the SDCARD folder back to the SD card.

Uninstall all the apps you installed with titanium.

Now you are ready with a2sd+. This installs ALL apps on the SD card (Better than froyo).

Run through the titanium restore as before. Make sure you deslect everything and then only select things that are NOT system files.

All the apps will now be installed on the SD card.

Reactions: sam9s
Upvote 0
I'm assuming you don't have A2SD+ installed. You would have had to partition your SD card if you do.

Since you now have 2.2, you do have A2SD. Once you have your apps installed, go into settings-applications, and you can see a list of all installed apps. From there you can push many of them to your SD card, freeing up phone memory.

There is an App in the market called App 2 SD move that will move everything for you as well.

After I installed a few ROMs I noticed the low memory error. I have pushed everything I can (save what I want to start on boot) to the SD card and I don't have the issue anymore.

Do this if you didn't install the A2SD+ version I suggested.

Upvote 0
Just because this may be confusing, A2SD+ is basicly a way of tricking your phone into thinking it has more space for apps on internal memory than it does. It's developed by the comunity not Google. A2SD is deveolped by google and needs to be supported by the app creator for it to work in most cases. A2SD+ is better, but needs you to create a partition on your SD card which A2SD doesn't.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones