• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Incredible or Nexus one

I am very interested in people's answer here. My knowledge is limited, but from a software perspective, is it true that the Incredible will lag behind in updates whereas the Nexus One will receive Android updates much quicker?

Nexus one will have faster software updates, but Google has promised that Android 2.2 and beyond is going to defragment the Android userbase.

In other words, more and more functionality, core apps and updates are going to be pushed through the android store rather than OTA updates.

This means that while your HTC Incredible might be on 2.1, it'll have all, or nearly all of the new features of 2.2 until HTC rolls out an update officially.

In comparing hardware:

Nexus One and HTC incredible share:

1ghz Snapdragon CPU
512mb ram/rom
3.7" AMOLED screen
Same rough dimensions.

Incredible has the advantage in:

8gb internal storage + microsd card slot vs Nexus One's microsd card slot.

8mp camera + rumored 720p video(This seems plausible because Incredible and Sprint Evo share the same camera and Evo has 720p video)

802.11 B/G/N where Nexus One has B/G. N gives enhanced range and speed as well as lower power draw.

HTC Sense UI. Some may list this as a con, but i've had my hands on an HTC Desire(same rough specs as Incredible) and Sense UI is pretty, functional and FAST. You CAN turn it off if you want.

HTC Incredible is sold / serviced in Verizon Stores. You can only get the Nexus One from Google.

Upvote 0
I am very interested in people's answer here. My knowledge is limited, but from a software perspective, is it true that the Incredible will lag behind in updates whereas the Nexus One will receive Android updates much quicker?

Depends if Froyo, Google's next OTA update, will fix fragmentation. If it does, there won't be anymore lag in updates on Sense UI devices.

At this point, the Droid Incredible's pros:
-Better hardware (except CPU)
-Most likely will be released earlier
-Sense UI (may be a pro or con)
-Verizon support
-Subsidized price

N1:
-Already has an amazing rooting community
-No Sense UI
-Guaranteed to have Android OS updates first
-Problems are already known and being worked on
-Dual Mics

I'll probably go with the Droid, test it out for a month and keep it if I like it. If not, N1 and root.

Upvote 0
Regardless of the fact that the HTC Droid Incredible is available for pre-order and reviews are popping up all over the internet, I still haven't seen anything saying you can turn Sense UI off in this phone. I read somewhere (no source, sorry; however I'm almost positive I saw this mentioned somewhere) that it actually CAN'T be turned off. This would be a con for me as, while Sense looks nice, I really appreciate stock Android and would at least like to have the option.

Anybody know if Sense UI on the Verizon (Droid) Incredible can be turned on/off?

Thanks

Upvote 0
HTC incredible / Nexus One
Once both are out on Verizon what would you take and why?
I've decided on the Droid Incredible over the Nexus One. One reason is the rumored maXTouch sensor versus Nexus One's Clearpad2000 sensor.

It also has a better camera--8mp versus Nexus One's 5mp--and internal storage (although it's disappointing to find out that it cannot be used for apps yet).

And the Droid Incredible is available for pre-order now; the Nexus One... I'm not sure what's going on really (Oh! Maybe they're installing the maXTouch sensors on those phones! *crosses fingers*)

And lastly because the Droid Incredible will be stocked at VZN stores, I can just go in and swap out the phone if there is a problem versus having to have my money tied up or whatnot waiting for a Nexus One replacement/reimbursement.

Although, I would have loved to have the Nexus One's dual mic noise cancellation.

Also the fact that the Nexus One may get updates sooner is a plus; although Google has already said starting with FROYO we're going to see a lot less fragmentation because the features will be downloadable via Android Market.

It's really up to you, but I choose--chose actually, I pre-ordered it--the Droid Incredible; yep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones