• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i hate this phone!

honestly i dont know what you want me to say cause nothing i say..seems to make a difference...and i'm so ticked off with this phone that all of this isnt helping my mood and im just getting more and more peeved off..but like i said..if whatever i say is going ot have a comeback at how wrong i am..and what i'm not doing..no point in me trying to defend myself..so thanks everyone for their help i'll be reading the links

I recommend performing a factory reset. Load zero apps. If you still experience the same problems, take it in for a replacement.

If not, load apps one by one to see which app is causing your issues.

Btw, my previous phone was a Storm. The Eris surpasses it in every way. Maybe you got a lemon.

Upvote 0
I put off rooting my phone until Verizon released the M4 update earlier this month. At that point I realized it wasn't going to get any better. I had the same problems as you, extremely laggy text and a 20-30 minute time interval from dialing a contact to when it would actually dial. I wanted to smash my phone.

I came across this forum and decided I had nothing to lose. I followed the rooting instructions here and I absolutely love my phone now. It has Evil Eris 3, it's quick and responsive, absolutely no lag now and great battery life. I bought setCPU (You can actually legally get it free on the XDA developers forum) and it is now the best phone.

The rooting instructions seem like a bit month but go over them step by step, it's worth the effort for having a new phone!

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hon, sorry for the rude comments you are getting about not searching

haha i seem to remember my own battles here when i had an eris

While i used to be an eris owner,

I discovered to try and have as little apps on the phone as possible

on my droid X, i download app after app just because i can but hardly use majority of them

on my eris, i had apps i truly used consistently

While rooting is slightly risky, there is the nandroid backup so you are relatively safe

i never overclocked my eris but i did overclock my moto droid when i had one and i got to say it makes the phone crazy fast

Whatever you decide to best of luck to ya

Upvote 0
i believe thats what i've done for days now..and all afternoon thanks..i didnt think i need to give a detailed description of what i've done and read for the past few days...yes i've read some stuff on root..but nothing that says HEY this is what it does..and when i had the storm and doing stuff like this only messed up the policy that if something ever happened to it i couldnt get another for free..i had to pay for it cause i screwed around with it..

ps..its a message forum

Explanation of root:

When you buy your phone, it comes loaded with a version of the Android operating system. This is the equivalent of Windows for your computer.

What Verizon doesn't allow you to do is change the operating system to a different one. Verizon also does not allow you to access all parts of the phone, including the CPU (the phones processor) and other components as well. They essentially lock you out of having full access to the phone.

The term "rooting" comes from the term "root access" which means that you have complete and full access to everything within the phone. With root access you can change a number of things to make your phone run better.

One thing that root gives you is the ability to install a different ROM. A ROM is an operating system that somebody else made or "cooked" for a particular phone. Typically what these developers do is take an existing ROM, like the official 2.1 version that your phone is currently running, make changes to it, like removing certain things and tweaking it for performance, and then release it for people to install on their phone in place of the official version of the operating system from Verizon. You have to have root access in order to install these ROMs. Sometimes they take a newer version of Android, like 2.2 (Froyo) from the Nexus One, and make a ROM out of it that is compatible with the Droid Eris.

Overclocking:

What is it? The CPU (processor) for the Droid Eris is set (clocked) at 528mhz. Just as a comparison, the Moto Droid and Droid Incredible have a different CPU (processor) which is clocked at 1ghz (1000mhz). There are other differences in the processors that the Eris uses and the Moto Droid and Incredible use, but you can't change the other differences. If you have root access to your Eris, you can increase the clock speed of the processor to 710mhz and sometimes beyond that. Some people have had success running their phone at 787mhz. This is a considerable increase and makes the phone run much better. But again, you can only do this with root. Most of the new ROMs that you install have already been set to run at 710mhz because the developer has modified key files within the ROM to do so.

So, in addition to increasing how fast the Eris is by increasing the CPU (processor) clock speed, they also tweak the ROM to run much better by removing specific things and modifying others. There are many custom ROMs to choose from, and there is typically one that will fit your needs. I tried three different ROM's before I found White Widow and I couldn't be happier.

I hope this answers your question.

Upvote 0
i'm so not in the mood for this..

i have been searching..i've been on 3 different boards..this has been the only one thats responded back..i dont mind and HAVE done the work myself..i've only been sitting here all day reading this board..i dont appreciate being accused of not thanks..

Sorry, I have to respond after seeing this post. I don't believe you are ready for root right now. Sometimes things (especially technology) require study, reading, comprehension, experimentation, trial-and-error, and sometimes cussing. If you are unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to get technology to work, then you either need to hire someone to do the job for you or trade your phone in. May I suggest an LG Accolade or Chocolate?

Upvote 0
you must of had a bad phone than cause i never heard anyone say that. and if you know what you are doing when rooting and not to tweak it out to the point of no return than your phone will run fine. So your probably that 5% of people that rooted and messed up there phone and still complained it was laggy. My phone aint laggy after root and seems like a brand new phone

Upvote 0
lol. actually, i know exactly how to root, and i rooted it correctly, but thanks for assuming and making yourself look like a fool. first off, it's overclocked on plain jane to only 768 tops, despite the fact it can roll up to atleast low 800s. second off, keyboard lag is still very much prevalent. maybe i had a bad phone from the start, but believe me bud, nothing i did ruined it, as it was this bad when my friend had it and sold it to me after only 3 months of using it, and now that's why i'm dumping it 3 months after having it.

Upvote 0
While any advice given is good, the fact that people attack someone for asking questions is really lame and sorry but some of the replies to OP read as attacks. While im on it, root is not an answer. Telling someone that root will fix everything is not the case. I rooted and while some aspects of problems I had are better, other problems are just as bad as when not rooted. I am seeing this now alot, root being given as a cure all which it is not. Rooting cannot fix hardware issues, it cannot fix known OS bugs. There is no rom that fixes everything and makes life utopia.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I have to respond after seeing this post. I don't believe you are ready for root right now. Sometimes things (especially technology) require study, reading, comprehension, experimentation, trial-and-error, and sometimes cussing. If you are unwilling or unable to do the things necessary to get technology to work, then you either need to hire someone to do the job for you or trade your phone in. May I suggest an LG Accolade or Chocolate?

Oh so the new car I got, I need to assemble the engine to get it to work?

Man kind of thought that would have been done before I paid for it.

Do you own a dvd player at all? Did you have to root it or study the tech behind it to make it work. You did not just plug it in, pop in a dvd, and enjoyed a movie? The point all being he should not have to do anything to have the phone working in the manner that was advertised by both HTC and Verizon.

Upvote 0
lol. actually, i know exactly how to root, and i rooted it correctly, but thanks for assuming and making yourself look like a fool. first off, it's overclocked on plain jane to only 768 tops, despite the fact it can roll up to atleast low 800s. second off, keyboard lag is still very much prevalent. maybe i had a bad phone from the start, but believe me bud, nothing i did ruined it, as it was this bad when my friend had it and sold it to me after only 3 months of using it, and now that's why i'm dumping it 3 months after having it.

I had the same problems as you. I rooted and ran KaosFroyo v23 and v24. I had it overclocked to 787. I had more lag and poor performance than I had with the stock 2.1 It was unbearable. I tried sensa-ble and didn't like it. Then I installed White Widow 4.6, which was more work to do, but since then my phone has been unreal at 710mhz. There is the ever so slight keyboard lag every once in a while, but 99 percent of the time my phone runs completely smooth. It's like a completely different phone now.

Upvote 0
Oh so the new car I got, I need to assemble the engine to get it to work?

Man kind of thought that would have been done before I paid for it.

Do you own a dvd player at all? Did you have to root it or study the tech behind it to make it work. You did not just plug it in, pop in a dvd, and enjoyed a movie? The point all being he should not have to do anything to have the phone working in the manner that was advertised by both HTC and Verizon.

Well, if you plug in a DVD player, pop in a DVD, and expect to enjoy a movie, you'll be waiting a loooooooong time, BECAUSE THE TV'S NOT HOOKED UP YET!!

Seriously, sticking with your analogy, the question that began this thread is akin to people asking repeatedly "How do I hook up my TV?" instead of taking time to figure out what goes where, the basics of how it works, etc. It's like trying to learn how to build a computer network without learning about TCP/IP, CAT-5, RJ-45, etc, or trying to fix your plumbing without learning about flanges, elbows, venting, etc.

Also, you don't HAVE to root your Eris to use it, just like you don't HAVE to tear your car apart to use it. However, if you want to maximize your car's horsepower, improve performance and stopping distance, etc, then you have to learn about the basics of the internal combustion engine.

Now, if the original poster had asked about something very specific, for example, maximizing battery life during wireless tethering, and then not copped a 'tude when he/she got frustrated,then I would agree with you that I was out of line with my response. But people have to learn the basics first and then build knowledge on top of that. And teachers and advisors have the responsibility to let them fly.

That's nature's rule, not mine.

Upvote 0
Explanation of root:

When you buy your phone, it comes loaded with a version of the Android operating system. This is the equivalent of Windows for your computer.

What Verizon doesn't allow you to do is change the operating system to a different one. Verizon also does not allow you to access all parts of the phone, including the CPU (the phones processor) and other components as well. They essentially lock you out of having full access to the phone.

The term "rooting" comes from the term "root access" which means that you have complete and full access to everything within the phone. With root access you can change a number of things to make your phone run better.

One thing that root gives you is the ability to install a different ROM. A ROM is an operating system that somebody else made or "cooked" for a particular phone. Typically what these developers do is take an existing ROM, like the official 2.1 version that your phone is currently running, make changes to it, like removing certain things and tweaking it for performance, and then release it for people to install on their phone in place of the official version of the operating system from Verizon. You have to have root access in order to install these ROMs. Sometimes they take a newer version of Android, like 2.2 (Froyo) from the Nexus One, and make a ROM out of it that is compatible with the Droid Eris.

Overclocking:

What is it? The CPU (processor) for the Droid Eris is set (clocked) at 528mhz. Just as a comparison, the Moto Droid and Droid Incredible have a different CPU (processor) which is clocked at 1ghz (1000mhz). There are other differences in the processors that the Eris uses and the Moto Droid and Incredible use, but you can't change the other differences. If you have root access to your Eris, you can increase the clock speed of the processor to 710mhz and sometimes beyond that. Some people have had success running their phone at 787mhz. This is a considerable increase and makes the phone run much better. But again, you can only do this with root. Most of the new ROMs that you install have already been set to run at 710mhz because the developer has modified key files within the ROM to do so.

So, in addition to increasing how fast the Eris is by increasing the CPU (processor) clock speed, they also tweak the ROM to run much better by removing specific things and modifying others. There are many custom ROMs to choose from, and there is typically one that will fit your needs. I tried three different ROM's before I found White Widow and I couldn't be happier.

I hope this answers your question.
While I have chosen not to Root my phone, I gotta tell you THAT was the most complete and comprehensible explanation of rooting, and overclock I've seen. You may have grabbed it from an existing thread, but I was still glad you posted.
Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
i don't consider myself to be a super smart person. I can use a computer and do some real basic things. I read up on rooting, watched some videos, perused thru forums and got the basic gist of it in a few days. If the OP truly did research on the web and still didn't get it. I would suggest that he/she do not proceed and just get a new phone.

If you have to ask, and someone answers the question and you still say you don;t get it. well, maybe the problem is not the phone, the problem is you and you need an iPhone or BB.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones