• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have what I need but I don't know how to change my widgets

bluemorpho

Lurker
Sep 27, 2010
I need help.

I kept reading on these forums that it was possible to change the widgets/icons on my Droid X so I decided to venture and try it out.
Problem is, I wasn't really sure what the hell I was doing.

I wanted to start small, so I bought an app from the Android market. The app recommend that I download "PandaHome" in order to start viewing and customizing my widgets and wallpapers.

Well, I don't even know how to do that - I don't know how to launch PandaHome [although it's installed] and/or/to view the styles of the app that I just downloaded.

I know this is probably a very ******ed question - but I need help.

Thank you.

By widgets I mean those that say "maps", "browser", "market" ... unless they are referred to as icons? [I wasn't sure].

I've seen other threads here were people have customized them to look like the android aliens or other cool designs. In other words, to change them so that they are not the "straight out of box" widgets/icons that the DroidX [or other android phones] come with.

Upvote 0
First, you should understand the difference between a widget and an application launcher icon. A widget may be considered as a mini application, where a portion of the screen is taken up by a mini version of the associated application that you can interract with. Ex: Twitter widget lets you tweet from it. Application launcher icons are simple icons that you press to open the full version of an application.

If you want to modify the widgets, such as background images and whatnot, you need to do that manually yourself, which I would not recommend as of yet if you don't know how to configure PandaHome. If you are gutsy though, I wrote a thread a few posts down that details how to do this. If it's just the icons you want to change, then as mentioned by rtb35, FolderOrganizer is probably the most widely used app for that sort of thing.

I would highly recommend going through the "post your desktop" thread here in the themes forum and see what others have done, and what they used to accomplish that look. It'll give you a framework to build from.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone who responded.

I see ... yes, it is the application launcher icons that I am looking to change.

After digging around some more, I was able to view the different wallpapers and icons from the app I download. I was having trouble locating the settings from PandaHome that allowed me to do that [turns out, it wasn't that difficult I just didn't know where to begin].

I have been referencing a post from Airmaxx23 who has a very detailed explanation on customizing desktops. Unfortunately, I couldn't apply it to the app I had downloaded.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll continue to read that other thread for more info.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones