• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I held out with 1.5 and am PROUD

For all those who "waited"... I find this akin to sitting on the sidelines and letting everyone else do your work for you. Why do you think this OTA update is going to work? Beta users... Who do you think leaked the leaked versions to this forum? Verizon... Why? Imagine the disasters that would have ocurred if they released 2.1 v1 to everyone with an Eris. Instead of congratulating yourselves, you should probably be thanking those of us that beta tested your software so that you acutally get an OTA from Verizon that works

Upvote 0
For all those who "waited"... I find this akin to sitting on the sidelines and letting everyone else do your work for you. Why do you think this OTA update is going to work? Beta users... Who do you think leaked the leaked versions to this forum? Verizon... Why? Imagine the disasters that would have ocurred if they released 2.1 v1 to everyone with an Eris. Instead of congratulating yourselves, you should probably be thanking those of us that beta tested your software so that you acutally get an OTA from Verizon that works

this only applies in my opinion if you were actually beta testing. did you contact/were you contacted by Verizon or HTC to beta test their software? did you send bug reports and fixes? why should I feel inclined to install something that hasn't made it through beta testing yet if I don't have the knowledge or expertise to fix what might go wrong with it? I am glad I waited for the OTA, and no, I don't think you're a hero for installing leaks.

Upvote 0
I'm not very good at the whole patience thing.

But, I am proud that I got the original leak, which showed me that my phone could actually be a functioning member of society, and then the next 2 versions, and THEN convinced VZ to swap me for a new refurb phone to go BACK to 1.5, and then root it. Now i wait for a rom based on the official release.

:)

Upvote 0
It seems to me that root is why many of us use the android platform. The option to have super-user access and NOT take advantage of it would be absurd. It is why I sold my iPhone and bought an Eris.
That being said, I fully understand why one would just want to wait until the update is official. Warranties are very nice things to keep intact. And so is a useful phone. There is nothing wrong with 1.5 if you're happy with it.
I had no problem not leaking. But once I heard ROOT was available the choice was clear for me: I must tinker.

Reactions: pjx
Upvote 0
I'm a tinker lover too. I'll pick and choose what to tinker with, however, rejecting the notion for things I either have little knowledge of or things which I rely on.

I'm reeeaaal careful with my parachute and reserve pack, for example; no tinkering, just by the book preparation.

But my bike, house, truck, snow mobile, garage, yard etc get tinkered with on a regular basis. ;)

Upvote 0
I bought my phone back in Nov '09 and I am still running 1.5. I held out for the real OTA because I have just seen too many problems with leaks and other hacks, not just in the cellular industry, but other consumer electronics markets. It really does pay off to wait for the real thing. USUALLY, that means you are getting the latest and best tested version. That does NOT mean it is bug free or without problems, but they are usually minor.

Anyways, just my $0.02 on the subject.

EDIT: I forgot to add that my anxiousness for 2.1 has increased over the last couple of months. I found out that 2.1 would support the bluetooth link for PDANet and I could finally use the Mobile UPS app (I do a lot of shipping and receiving with my company).

Upvote 0
Title says it all. With the impending 2.1 OTA, I'm glad to say I held out on 1.5 :D (Of course I've only had the phone for a little over a month.....oh well, none the less)

Just wanted to start a fun little thread about exercising will power in the face of temptation ;)

So let's hear it if you waited successfully

(Pretty sure I can add Frisco to the list)

Unfortunately, pride is really bad at giving turn-by-turn directions. :p

Upvote 0

Oh thank you "Self-Annointed Leak Tester" ! Without you , I'd probably just use my upgrade, sitting in my account, and buy the Incredible !

Upvote 0
I too have waited patiently (okay, maybe not so much haha) since feb., and now that I hear all who leaked can still upgrade with the OTA, im saying D'OH!! And I wonder, when everyone gets the update, what will we here at the eris forum have to complain/speculate about? might get a little boring around here lol :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones