• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I know what I want...

drumshark

Jan 6, 2011
Ok, so I need a bit of help. I know what Im looking for, but its hard to tell from just screenshots of ROMs, and I've looked through so many forum pages that my head is about to burst.

Im looking for a replacement ROM to Sense (for most of the usual reasons) but there are really only three things im interested in: Speed/Smoothness of operating, Minimal "artistry", and full functionality (4g, both cameras, hotspot, HDMI out, etc.). In that order.

Im tired of how slow sense can be at times, and want a new, no non-sense (no pun intended) ROM.
I dont want all the app buttons to be made "artistic" or for the bottom menu to be made extra "pretty". I just want something thats simple (similar to Sense (in its simplicity) or stock android).
As far as functionality goes, I dont want to lose anything, but if not possible to gain speed and clarity, then I wont cry over it.

I am willing to try multiple ROM's as well, because its impossible to know for sure how I'll like it, but instead of just diving into the sea of ROMs over on XDA, I figured I'd ask for guidance first.

Edit: I also want Hulu. Thanks:)

There are many sense roms that are very smooth and fast without changing kernels. Mikfroyo, Koni Elite, Kings, Fresh, and Myns are all stable, sense roms that are fully functioning and can be customized. Depending on what things you can do without, there are also AOSP roms that are "senseless". Most of those though do not have 4g or Hdmi working.....yet.

Upvote 0
this one is themed and opted but sounds like you want a stock rooted rom thats optimized and junk removed i have a sample of an ODEX thats themed. odex roms are faster smoother and stable than deodexed. ive been running this rom for 2.5 weeks not 1 reboot or hangup. i removed the junk myself

this is a sneak peek at some the work the awesome devs Aamikam and themer Chogardjr have done so far at theming an ODEX miks 4.6b2.
THUMB 1
THUMB 2
THUMB 3

the stock odex isnt themed

MIKS 4.6B2 ODEX its at the bottom
Ricsim has a Stock Turbo thats opted and DEODEXED (theme-able) you can add hulu

then again you can try cm7 if you like a high maintenance rom.

Upvote 0
yeah it might come down to if you want 4g or not. if you do not mind then aosp roms will be your bread and butter. i tried both cm7 nightlies and miui. miui seem to be more stable, but it was too iphony:) for me.

otherwise, you will have to stick with sense roms. but like xtremedays suggested those roms are good ones to start. i think of those mikfroyo 4.5 seems to me the fastest of them all. i like kings ultra unleashed r2 (right now). it is pretty fast and smooth and i love the transition animation it has. check them out and flash away!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones