• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I destroyed my new Samsung Galaxy 10.1...

jhayden16

Lurker
Nov 23, 2011
I got a new Galaxy 10.1 tab yesterday, and today went ahead and tried rooting and tethering to my Moto Droid 1's wifi. I'll walk you through what exactly I did and where I am now, in hopes of finding a solution.

I rooted my tab following rooting instructions from thedroiddemos.com. It had me download a root.zip file to my computer, then turned on USB debugging in the tab, powered it off, put it into Downloading mode, and connected the tab to my computer. I ran the root application program, then disconnected the tab, turned USB debugging off, plugged it back in, copied the root.zip folder to the device, turned the tab off, put it into recovery mode and unzipped the file and installed it onto the system. Then I rebooted it.

Search for how to root the samsung galaxy tab 10.1 video walkthrough on the droid demos website for the instructions (sorry, can't post links cause I'm new...)

Now, I was supposedly rooted.

I then followed the instructions in the 'Samsung Tab wifi via D1 Wireless Tether...youtube Video!' I found. It had me download a modified wpa_supplicant file to my phone, unzip it using androzip, and then using root Explorer I replaced the stock wpa supplicant file with the one linked at that site.

The problem started there. After that, I went to my wifi settings, turned on the wifi, and after ten seconds of waiting, it came back with "wifi error."

I couldn't connect to wifi at all. After searching the internet for solutions, it seemed the only fix was to put the original wpa file back. I tried that and the problem never went away. So, I thought if I reset the device to factory settings it'd fix it, bringing the original file back. But, as I'm sure you guys who are way smarter with this stuff than I am know, that didn't fix anything. It erased all my apps and settings, but the system wpa file I changed didn't revert...so I still have no internet, and now have no apps or way to navigate through the system files to fix anything.

So, I'm stuck there. The only thing I can think of is to somehow while connected to my computer get those apps (androzip, root explorer) back to my phone, and find (which I couldn't so far) an original stock wpa file. Then maybe I could put the new wpa file back in the system bin folder and my original wifi settings would be restored.

How can I do this? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones