• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Installing the OTA 2.1 file

Those who are getting to the exclamation and then nothing... WAIT a few minutes after hitting power and volume up.... I thought mine did not work, set it down, and came back to it a few minutes later to see it had changed.

What did it change to? And yes, my phone has been sitting here for about 5 minutes after pressing the combination of power and vol up. It simply doesn't work.

Upvote 0
Those who are getting to the exclamation and then nothing... WAIT a few minutes after hitting power and volume up.... I thought mine did not work, set it down, and came back to it a few minutes later to see it had changed.

how long did you wait? I'm currently letting it sit...but so far nothing has changed....

Upvote 0
History of my handset:

1.5 to rooted 2.1
Heard about OTA, removed root and restored to 1.5 stock, now on Hboot 1.47

Tried the above methods, starting with rename to UPDATE.ZIP
-FASTBOOT ran right through because it didn't see the PB00IMG.ZIP, no unpacking took place
-Recover console would not flash UPDATE.ZIP from SD, failed (sorry, forgot fail code)

Also tried from start with PB00IMG.ZIP
-FASTBOOT saw the PB file, unpacked and then went to recovery
-Tried to flash PB00IMG.ZIP from SD, failed (Verification failed)

Toggled USB-MS and changed zip on the fly from PB to UPDATE, still no good.

<sigh>

Upvote 0
The only other thing I can think of is before I got it to work, I was trying other stuff.

I did name it PB00IMG.zip and tried doing it that way. Pressed VOL down and power, it loaded PB00IMG.zip, It went through a progress bar, then just went back to the main screen. Nothing changed.

At this point, I renamed PB00IMG.zip to update.zip and tried the recovery method.

I didn't think this would have done anything, but maybe it did??? Give that a try.

Has anyone tried this?

Does it load up with a vertical progress bar like it's doing something? See attached picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1596_comp.jpg
    IMG_1596_comp.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 199
Upvote 0
DO NOT name it PB00IMG.zip as it will try to load in the next step.

Did everyone follow this step? How about deleting the old PB00IMG file?

I am at work so I dont have the time as of now to try for myself. Maybe renaming the file throws it off.

I am on v3, and if no one has tried these variables yet, I will try as soon as possible and post what I find.

Upvote 0
I'm still here, but can't figure out why it isn't working for anyone else. I wish I had another phone to try it on...incase I forgot to write down a step.

The only other thing I can think of is since this is a newly replaced phone from Verizon, maybe something else would be different??

You didn't skip a step. This is the exact same process the Motodroid peeps used to update their phones a while back. You can google it if you don't believe me. They did mention that the combination of buttons (it's different on the Motodroid) is tricky, but they said it would go eventually. Well something's definitely going on here though, because they said it was tricky, not impossible. I simply can't get it to work.

Upvote 0
Disclaimer - Try this at your own risk. I'm not liable if you brick your phone. I didn't really know what I was doing, and probably shouldn't have tried it on my eris because I sold it on ebay a few days ago and i'm waiting for the buyer to pay me for it.. lol! This is a simliar process for installing updates on the Moto Droid.

NOTE: I DIDN'T LOSE ANY DATA AFTER THE UPGRADE!!

Okay, this is all coming from 1.5.

First, download this OTA file:
http://android.clients.google.com/p...36.605.1_1.17.605.1_release_0420.79112f65.zip

I named mine update.zip and put it on the SD card.

DO NOT name it PB00IMG.zip as it will try to load in the next step.

Turn off the phone, hold down VOL DOWN and POWER, just like you normally would to install a leak.

It will search for the files like PB00IMG.zip, etc..etc..

Scroll down to RECOVERY and press the POWER button. The phone will reboot with an exclamation point.

Press the POWER button and VOLUME UP at the same time, and you should be presented with a menu. One of the options should be "Apply sdcard:update.zip". Choose that one.

It will start the installation process.

I got a little worried because it started deleting files and stayed in one spot for what seemed like 10 minutes, (probably 4 in reality), but it eventually finished.

When it's done, choose the reboot option and let it do its thing. It will take a few minutes to boot up intially.

Nice work there.

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried this?

Does it load up with a vertical progress bar like it's doing something? See attached picture.

I did try this on 2.1 v3 leak. It did exactly what you show in the screen shot as far as loading the vertical progress bar, but then it goes back and says installation aborted or something to that effect. All in all it doesn't work. I tried renaming to update and PB0001 etc. Redoing the steps, same result.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones