• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is it possible to use USB mass storage instead of MTP?

frusciante54

Oct 7, 2016
I just got a new phone. My previous phone was Jelly Bean so it was using USB mass storage. And it was reasonably fast. But now I have a new phone, Nougat. According to my research, new versions are using something called a MTP or something like that. I guess it makes the transfer really slower, but it allows you to do whatever you want with your phone when you're still plugged in.
So.. I'm kind of a back-up maniac. I have to back up all of my files on my phone to my computer. I used to be able to do that within 30 minutes (about 7-8 gbs of files) but now I tried yesterday, it took about 2 hours to transfer only 5Gb.
I don't need to be able to use my phone when it's plugged. I can consider the phone as shut down. I just want a faster transfering speed.
I'm really starting to regret getting this phone...
What can I do to reach that older speed?
And it even takes too long to estimate the remaining time. Cancelling too, also. It's really annoying!
Thank you!

Phone : General Mobile GM5 Plus
Android version : Nougat

What could be the issue then?

Edit : I guess it takes longer when there are more files with the same size. So...

For instance
5 gb's of only one file would take 5 minutes
but 50 files, total of 5 gb's would take more than that.

Because it took 45 minutes to copy 1500 songs (about 6 gb) and the rest was taking more than that. Even though they were only about 2 gbs left.

Upvote 0
I just got a new phone. My previous phone was Jelly Bean so it was using USB mass storage. And it was reasonably fast. But now I have a new phone, Nougat. According to my research, new versions are using something called a MTP or something like that. I guess it makes the transfer really slower, but it allows you to do whatever you want with your phone when you're still plugged in.
So.. I'm kind of a back-up maniac. I have to back up all of my files on my phone to my computer. I used to be able to do that within 30 minutes (about 7-8 gbs of files) but now I tried yesterday, it took about 2 hours to transfer only 5Gb.
I don't need to be able to use my phone when it's plugged. I can consider the phone as shut down. I just want a faster transfering speed.
I'm really starting to regret getting this phone...
What can I do to reach that older speed?
And it even takes too long to estimate the remaining time. Cancelling too, also. It's really annoying!
Thank you!

Phone : General Mobile GM5 Plus
Android version : Nougat
Hey there

What could be the issue then?

Edit : I guess it takes longer when there are more files with the same size. So...

For instance
5 gb's of only one file would take 5 minutes
but 50 files, total of 5 gb's would take more than that.

Because it took 45 minutes to copy 1500 songs (about 6 gb) and the rest was taking more than that. Even though they were only about 2 gbs left.
No not like that, when i make a backup using twrp (6 Gb) i can do it within a minute . Android 6.0.1 using MTP.

Upvote 0
Hey there

No not like that, when i make a backup using twrp (6 Gb) i can do it within a minute . Android 6.0.1 using MTP.

I'm using file transfer mode. Oh and by the way, when I used to plug my older phone to my computer it used to show a little icon in the right corner. You know, that whole "Safely remove" thing.
I don't know if it's important but, this one doesn't do that.

Driver issue possibly. Are there any specific drivers you have to install for this General Mobile GM5 device. Never heard of it, is it Chinese?

No it's a Turkish phone. For what it's worth, my previos phone was also General Mobile's and it didn't have any problems.

Edit : And it's something called Android one. So probably you can be sure that this isn't a bad phone. I don't know about the hardware though.

Upvote 0
I'm using file transfer mode. Oh and by the way, when I used to plug my older phone to my computer it used to show a little icon in the right corner. You know, that whole "Safely remove" thing.
I don't know if it's important but, this one doesn't do that.

No it's a Turkish phone. For what it's worth, my previos phone was also General Mobile's and it didn't have any problems.
Hey bro

Mike mentioned the driver thing ,and that probably the reason for it as it ain't showing the safely remove thing ,your Pc isn't able to work properly with your phone , Consider upgrading drivers or installing new one .

Upvote 0
Are you using Windows XP? Because I believe MTP support for that was only added via installing Windows Media Player 11, and not sure if that worked too well or not. Both of which are no longer supported by Microsoft. Later Win versions included MTP support as standard. And Microsoft invented MTP of course.

For information; Android now uses MTP rather than direct mass storage, because the internal storage layout of devices is now EXT4 rather than FAT32. And Windows or macOS can't mount drives formatted as EXT4, not without installing third-party software. EXT4 is native to the Linux kernel that Android uses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope, I'm using Windows 8. And considering that this phone came out years after W8 was released... That makes sense I guess.
But my drivers are up to date I guess. I mean my computer almost crashes when I try to update anything related to Windows or Microsoft :D I don't know why. But if it's a compatibility issue, then I guess there's nothing I can do about it.
BTW, which drivers should I upgrade?

Upvote 0
Nope, I'm using Windows 8. And considering that this phone came out years after W8 was released... That makes sense I guess.
But my drivers are up to date I guess. I mean my computer almost crashes when I try to update anything related to Windows or Microsoft :D I don't know why. But if it's a compatibility issue, then I guess there's nothing I can do about it.
Right click My pc > Go to Manage > Device Manager > Check there if any of the USB Controllers have a "!" Yellow icon(Phone connected ) .

Upvote 0
This Turkish phone I've got no idea, I'm in China. :} But I know with certain devices like Samsung or Oppo, they do have specific drivers for them.

I use a Mac myself, but transfers I do are via WiFi, either using my phone's built-in FTP or Airdroid. And that's fast.

Upvote 0
No there aren't any yellow ! icon. But I'm installing a driver updater software. Let's see how this goes.

I just did a bit of research and came to know about a fix .

Maybe Try this and it will work.

Restart your Pc > Go to BIOS using some keys (F8,F11)> In BIOS> Go to Advanced > Go to USB CONFIGURATION by scrolling with keyboard keys > Check if the USB 2.0 controller is enabled or not > If not then enable it and then save the setting .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This Turkish phone I've got no idea, I'm in China. :} But I know with certain devices like Samsung or Oppo, they do have specific drivers for them.

I use a Mac myself, but transfers I do are via WiFi, either using my phone's built-in FTP or Airdroid. And that's fast.

I was considering doing that too actually. There was an app, which I was planning to use when I got a new phone (because it didn't support Jelly Bean), but it only supports PC > Phone. I need the other way around. Damn it. :(

Upvote 0
I was considering doing that too actually. There was an app, which I was planning to use when I got a new phone (because it didn't support Jelly Bean), but it only supports PC > Phone. I need the other way around. Damn it. :(
You can use an app called share it (wifi transfer ) both available for pc and android ( speed 5 -100mbps) . I Have been using it and it works great ( Not affected by Android version or Windows )

Upvote 0
I think it's a compatibility issue. Plus dumb Windows' "estimated time remaining" algorithm. Because it was showing "7 hours left" and the windows was closed. I checked every single folder and everything was there. So it did back up.
Well maybe for this feature, I guess I shouldn't blame Android. Although there are lots of missing features to blame Android but, this time we'll pass.
Thank you for your help guys! Appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Sometimes ,memory card isn't fast enough ,for example when I use phone memory to transfer 1 GB then it copies it in like 1-2 minutes ,but the same thing takes 8-10 minutes for my memory card .

So your suggestion, is it something like move the files to the SD card, extract the SD card and then plug the SD card directly to your computer?

Upvote 0
So your suggestion, is it something like move the files to the SD card, extract the SD card and then plug the SD card directly to your computer?
No,

There are two Storage memory in your android phone , One is internal memory that comes inbuilt and the second is external memory like ( Sd card-Memory card -expandable memory),

Just meant to say that if you use phone memory that will work fast /.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones