• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Sprint being left behind?

ummm...they're about three months out on their first two phones. Why would they have any new releases announced? Heck, they haven't even upgraded to 2.1 yet on the current crop of phones. That upgrade will breathe new life into both phones actually.

How many android phones do you expect them to carry at one time? How many Palm, BB or WM phones did they carry at one time? When did they ever announce new models within the first few months of introduction of current models? About never?

thats all true, but all this news about the Nexus and Sprint is not even mentioned! Nexus was such a big release that it was noted on mostly every major newspaper (NY Times, WSJ...the ones that matter atleast), and sprint nowhere to be found.

All I am saying is i think Sprint should be riding on this a little harder, marketing wise.

Upvote 0
so that means they should respond to the Storm 2 or Bold 9700? How about the HTC HD2 for win mobile that's coming to T-Mobile? Or the fact that Verizon is getting the Pre Plus and Sprint users are still stuck with the original with no upgrade or replacement in sight? And what about T-Mobile getting the Symbian Nokia N900 and upgrading their 3G network to HSPA 7.2 and even HSPA+ in some areas like here in Philly where I could see over 7mbs in download speeds and theoretical ones up 21mbs on 3g, no separate 4g card or radio needed.

The only reason you're concerned is because you actually own an android phone and feel left behind. If you were using a BB, you wouldn't give a rat's *ss about the Nexus not being on Sprint.

Upvote 0
well, someone is extremely defensive about sprint and its phone (paging dbpaddler)

Let me go ahead and update my "device" listing then because i currently use a BB 8330, I visit this forum to see the news on android phones for sprint.

Anyway, what I am saying is that Sprint can only benefit from the PR and new adroid devices, i think. We all do know that Sprint has been bleeding customers for a while, correct?

dbpaddler maybe you should practice using your objective eye...

Upvote 0
Maybe you should take a few marketing classes. They have two android phones. One they advertise via print, radio and tv. The other has been seen in print. I wouldn't advertise the Moment any more yet since it is in dire need of an MR and both phones still need the 2.1 update. The masses buying the moment don't visit forums, don't know about a temporary kernel fix to tide them over let alone having the know how to do it. People on forums like this are the vast minority and are not the ones they are marketing to. I think if they did any sort of announcing about something on the level of the Nexus it would most likely hurt the sales of the current two. Besides, the upgraded Moment will have a very marketable feature, and the current Moment, post upgrade, will be very marketable as well. So I don't think they're getting left behind. And reactionary type responses aren't always a good idea.

If the way things are going with time frames and the incremental upgrades, you'll start to see info on the Hero's successor in a couple months. Specs will most likely be on par, if not better than the Nexus with a newer design. The successor to the Pre should be on the horizon as well since it's going on 7 months since it's intro and V is getting the Plus. So the future is definitely Bright. It's just the timing now that has them looking a little lackluster at the moment, no pun intended.

Upvote 0
so that means they should respond to the Storm 2 or Bold 9700? How about the HTC HD2 for win mobile that's coming to T-Mobile? Or the fact that Verizon is getting the Pre Plus and Sprint users are still stuck with the original with no upgrade or replacement in sight? And what about T-Mobile getting the Symbian Nokia N900 and upgrading their 3G network to HSPA 7.2 and even HSPA+ in some areas like here in Philly where I could see over 7mbs in download speeds and theoretical ones up 21mbs on 3g, no separate 4g card or radio needed.

The only reason you're concerned is because you actually own an android phone and feel left behind. If you were using a BB, you wouldn't give a rat's *ss about the Nexus not being on Sprint.

Yeah... have fun with your lack of coverage....

Upvote 0
don't believe I said I was switching. Just making a point how you just can't respond to every new product that comes down the line and turn things into a giant pissing contest.

That being said, T-Mobile is spending coin to bolster its network as well as getting some good phones. With pricing closer to Sprint's, they could make some good headway in the near future. Right now I've got about 15 (13 android) lines and 2 4g air cards for under $1200/mo. Not leaving Sprint any time soon.
Yeah... have fun with your lack of coverage....

Upvote 0
don't believe I said I was switching. Just making a point how you just can't respond to every new product that comes down the line and turn things into a giant pissing contest.

That being said, T-Mobile is spending coin to bolster its network as well as getting some good phones. With pricing closer to Sprint's, they could make some good headway in the near future. Right now I've got about 15 (13 android) lines and 2 4g air cards for under $1200/mo. Not leaving Sprint any time soon.

I think I quoted the wrong one again >.>

Upvote 0
sprint beats prices. period. end of story. Even if the posted price isn't good enough for you, find something on your bill to complain about and give your CSR a call, they give DEEP discounts, especially to employees of certain companies. Why do you think TMo,VZW, and ATT are mentioned hardly at all on slickdeals.net? because that site is used by people who like getting similar products at lower prices.

That said, the only reason sprint is seen as "falling behind" in the android market is because they lack a huge hyped up phone (i.e. one that runs 2.0+) which, for TMo came out only a week ago, and VZW about two months ago. Sprint (i would suggest post-2.1 update) could make either the moment or hero it's android flagship, but it wont because they want to have equal sales across all platforms (winmo,bb,android,ect.)

What we really should remember is that sprint is (from my understanding) primarily geared towards selling phones to businesses. Businesses don't want/need bleeding edge tech, they need something that works and is cheap. Sprint is not the place to look for bleeding edge phones, they are the place to look for prices.

Upvote 0
Well I see that ATT announced the Motorola Backflip. Wow, a new Moto and the release of the Gen4 iPhone just months away. Verizon has the Droid, THEY got the new UPDATED Palm Pre and Pixi, and will be getting the Nexus One while we still have the much outdated POS Palm Pre and the outdated Moment and Hero. Yeah,, I guess you guys are right that Spriint isn't being left behind. You think maybe Sprint will come out with a new WinMo 6.1 phone???? We can only hope. Who wants an Android 2.1 phone with a 1GHz processor anyway?

Upvote 0
As others have mentioned. Sprint has 2 Android phones that are barely three months old. What do you want? A new phone every month? Thats ridiculous. For those who want to switch carriers, who are you going to go to? I came from Verizon whos "everything plan" is $40 more expensive than Sprint's, a total ripoff and most their phones are laggy. T Mobile is a joke. Anyone who comes to my house with it has to go outside to use their phone, I have 75% signal in here with Sprint. AT&T's coverage is decent at best and the amount of dropped calls and bad reception is numerous. Maybe you guys can go with a Cricket? :p

Upvote 0
no it will not, sprint will not have a wimax phone until mid year, and in mid year verizon rolls out lte data cards, and in beginning of 2011 verizon rolls out lte phones... so a sixth month start on the nationsthird largest carrier? verizon will have more lte customers on opening day than sprint will have after its sixth month head start

Upvote 0
This is true, but Sprint won't even let you buy it if the service is not available in your market. This is what happened to me when I wanted the Sierra Wireless/Franklin U300 3G/4G modem. Here in NYC they do not have it in their systems. So I had to go to Baltimore to get it. I predict that the Supersonic will be available in the markets that will have 4G service and according to Sprint, there will be an additional major market cities - 33 of them, (Like NYC) by years end, which is when I predict that this phone will be out in the market.

TS

Upvote 0
I think sprint will finally go under in a couple of years. They gambled on wimax and I believe they lost. With pretty much everyone else going LTE and most on GSM, there will be no room for an outsider. Eventually they will lose enough market share to be bought out.

Until that date, I'm staying with sprint and loving them. I have been with tmobile (leave me alone, I worked there), verizon, and a lot of my friends have att. Sprint does as well almost everywhere and better in other places. At times they're better with phones and at others they're worse. This just happens to be one of those times. I'll put my $40 in savings away each month and buy the latest phone every time a new one comes out.

Upvote 0
no it will not, sprint will not have a wimax phone until mid year, and in mid year verizon rolls out lte data cards, and in beginning of 2011 verizon rolls out lte phones... so a sixth month start on the nationsthird largest carrier? verizon will have more lte customers on opening day than sprint will have after its sixth month head start

not to mention lte will have better indoor coverage and longer range per tower so doesnt need to set up as many

Upvote 0
Here's my thought FWIW (probably not much)

1) LTE and WIMax don't even exist yet. Waste of time to talk about.....

B) Sprint and Verizon both use the same technology for devices and towers today. This means coverage should be pretty close

3rd) T-Mobile and AT&T both use the same technology for devices and towers today <-- and their coverage sucks.

*) All the vendors get a "new" phone before others at some point. The cool factor always wears off in a few months. I made sure to poke fun at my Verizon friends when I had the moment and they had no android.

5) Sprint is the cheapest if you have a smartphone with data

F) If you want to pay more money go with any of the other carriers

Upvote 0
Here's my thought FWIW (probably not much)

1) LTE and WIMax don't even exist yet. Waste of time to talk about.....

B) Sprint and Verizon both use the same technology for devices and towers today. This means coverage should be pretty close

3rd) T-Mobile and AT&T both use the same technology for devices and towers today <-- and their coverage sucks.

*) All the vendors get a "new" phone before others at some point. The cool factor always wears off in a few months. I made sure to poke fun at my Verizon friends when I had the moment and they had no android.

5) Sprint is the cheapest if you have a smartphone with data

F) If you want to pay more money go with any of the other carriers

Wow umm Wimax does exist already it is in few cities in the United States and other countries. LTE also exist in other countries. Wimax and LTE run at different frequencies. Wimax uses a higher frequency where LTE is running at a lower frequency. They will all get new phones; sometimes sprint will get them before others or vise versa. It might happen less likely since manufactures can make pretty much the same phone cross all carriers easier if they are more unified (LTE is what most companies around the world has decided to go with). Sprint is cheapest and that is nice but you pay for it with the lack of coverage. Yes you get to roam for free off of Verizon

Upvote 0
Hahaha nobody has commented on my numbering system?

Newayz.....

1) could you post up some links for us to price plans and phones for LTE vs. WiMax? (I would be very curious to see this)

b) how much does sprint charge for roaming data? Just wondering, as my sprint rep (which is like a used car salesman) told me roaming voice and data was free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones