• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Jobs Rips Android RIM everything not IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it works on one 4th generation iphone, it works on them all (unless somethign is wrong with your phone)

however, the same 'generation' of droid phones don't always play nice together. that's why you have in the comment sections of droid market people putting their phone in the comment section when they say it either works great or doesn't work....

the generational thing works on Droid too.... for example, I had "more icons" (the paid version) on my D1 and now on my D2. There are more options available to me with the same app on the d2. So I could argue that it's just it's not upward compatible.

ios4 might 'work' on previous iphones, that doesn't mean everything improves:

But that doesn’t mean that everything is perfect. You see, a flaw that wasn’t evident during the beta phase of iOS 4 has become abundantly clear as the majority of my apps have been upgraded for multitasking: keeping background apps in memory for fast app demolishes iPhone 3GS battery life. For all of Steve’s promises to deliver multitasking without battery problems, I now have to charge my iPhone by 8 p.m. to keep it functional through the evening, which I never did before. Without changing my behavior in the slightest — nor even using more advanced multitasking like background third-party audio and VoIP, my phone now needs its charger around at all times.
And, unfortunately, it’s just the tip of the iceberg for the issues found on any 3GS running iOS 4 as it’s meant to be.

In general, iOS 4′s biggest problem on 3GS is kruft, an older term for badly written code whose performance degrades over time thanks to intrinsic flaws. To use it in a sentence, “Windows Me is the kruftiest operating system ever created.” Kruft is the reason why the classic Mac OS and every version of Windows ever can’t simply be left on or in standby at all times without becoming comically inept or requiring a restart. And a lack of kruft is the reason why every version of Mac since Panther has been a delight to use — I can’t remember the last time I needed to restart a Mac besides software updates. And, at least until iOS 4, I’ve found the iPhone to be kruft-free (other than the legions of cheap apps no one should put on their phones) and pleasant. I virtually never restarted it, it hasn’t frozen up, and the task management was smart enough to never require me to intervene. But a big part of that was the simplicity of the system. Other than a few system utilities of Apple’s, whatever was on-screen got attention, nothing else. By contrast, iOS 4 keeps the most recent apps in RAM for quick access, and stores others for quick relaunch, using an automated process to push and pull them out of memory.
And that means that the longer you use your phone, the harder it has to work to do many of the basic things that make it great. Button presses get sluggish, scrolling stutters, even e-mail loading takes much longer than normal. And many, many screens come up blank and stay that way for longer than they should when you make an app switch.
I would chalk this up to unoptimized code for a new major release were it not for the fact that I have discovered two fool-proof methods for improving battery life and overall performance:
1. The “double hard reset” method we discussed earlier this month.
2. Pulling up the app switcher, pressing and holding any icon to bring up the delete button, and then getting rid of every app to clear out RAM.
Worse still, I’ve found 2 to be a much better method. Because of the rather dumb way that iOS 4 handles a really large number of apps being opened and closed (I have a lot of interests, OK?), I currently have 43 allegedly open apps on my phone. Now, clearly only the most recent 4 or so are actually in memory, but one would think retaining more than the most recent 8 applications would be a complete waste of time, as navigating back further than that is probably slower than just relaunching an app you haven’t used in six hours.
Back in April, Steve Jobs said, “In multitasking, if you see a task manager, they blew it.” I completely agree, Steve. So why am I constantly having to dismiss tasks that I haven’t touched in days just to get a decent scroll rate?
Am I the only one? Or is your 3GS getting bogged down and losing charge to quickly?

Revisiting iOS 4 on 3GS: The Kruft, the Bad, and the Ugly | Cult of Mac

(note this is from a website called "cult of mac" and the respondents who fixed the issues in question did so by jailbreaking...) ;)

EDIT:

Also right from Apple's website:
Compatibility

iOS 4 works with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS.

And as listed above "multitasking" kills the 3GS.

Upvote 0
The problem with going after Jobs is that he isn't the root of the problem. He deprives users of options -- loudly -- in the name of usability, parent friendliness and bowing to content restrictions (and reasons he's not telling us, of course), but other companies and CEOs do so quietly in the name of pure ownership, and some are worse. Most visible doesn't equal most evil, but invisible often does.

William Tweed was considered the most corrupt politician in nineteenth century New York, but that's only because he was the most visible. History has shown us that others were far worse.

Apple used to make useful computers, and their towers are still de rigeur for profit-contingent music and movie work in the States. But Apple has grown ever more draconian over the years, eclipsing even Microsoft in high-profile manipulation.

But that's just how it is for now.

As companies attain supreme popularity, their profits and therefore power become world-changing. CEOs and founders lose sight of their mission statements and blood instincts surface. Fantastic profits, total success and limitless expansion bring conspicuous self-indulgence from figureheads and puppeteers whether it be public or strategic. No one is in the position to tell them no.

That's why it's very possible that, if Android and Google continue to rise in popularity and their power goes on morphing and expanding, Google's excesses (invasion of privacy in particular) will mushroom and its founders will seem just as evil to later generations as Jobs does to ours.

The Supreme Court has ruled that corporations are now "persons" and "individuals" legally: they have the same rights as people in addition to their incredible advantages, which means actual people are considerably less protected from their excesses. In a country in which huge grassroots demonstrations go unreported and unacknowledged, money is speech, and all of these companies have it.

This tears at the rights of consumers in ways that do affect things like user freedoms, restrictions to proprietary hardware/software and rights to privacy, which Google often sacrifices to advertisers. It will continue to do so until consumers stop cheering vicarious corporate team wars -- like ancient Romans watching gladiators -- and stop to ask why their rights as consumers were allowed to be undermined in the first place.

Brand loyalty is a terrible substitute for consumer activism. Hate the game, not the player. The game's what turns companies into monsters.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
generational issues, not platform....

You're really trying to use any excuse to say iOS is better than Android, and it's obvious no matter how illogical your reasoning is, you refuse to budge. Why don't you agree to disagree with those of us that prefer Android and leave it at that.

Even if your argument that Android suffers from fragmentation is true, it still does not make iOS better because of that fact. Unless you want exactly what the iPhone 4 provides (3.5" screen, no keyboard, stock iOS 4), you have no choice if you want an iPhone. With choice comes fragmentation. Personally, I am willing to sacrifice the 1% of apps that won't work on my phone to have that choice. I have downloaded probably 100 apps on my Incredible. You know how many haven't worked? Zero. I realize there may be apps that won't work properly on every phone, but you make sacrifices no matter what phone you buy. Those of us on Android tend to prefer the many, many advantages of Android over iOS, happily living with the few shortcomings.

Every OS has both its good and its bad. The bottom line is, Jobs tried to make a huge issue out of one that is almost a non-issue to 99% of Android users. You trying to continually argue that Android is so fragmented and its users therefore suffer is simply false. If it makes you happy to continue making the same meritless argument, knock yourself out. You are not, however, building any credibility, as you have yet to demonstrate how this really has any measurable effect outside of a few comments in the app store that someone's device couldn't run a particular app. Like I've said, on my iPod Touch, I've had apps I couldn't run too. Uh oh.

Upvote 0
You're really trying to use any excuse to say iOS is better than Android, and it's obvious no matter how illogical your reasoning is, you refuse to budge. Why don't you agree to disagree with those of us that prefer Android and leave it at that.
Because the fragmentation issue is what the article was about. And the poor way of explaining it "no, there aren't 100, there are only 3" is not a good argument to disprove fragmentation.

Even if your argument that Android suffers from fragmentation is true, it still does not make iOS better because of that fact.

I never said it did. In fact, I'm perfectly happy with my D2. I said I will look into a iphone if/when it ever comes to Verizon, BUT, that doesn't mean I'm going to necessarily get one.... especially since I have had very minor issues with my device.

Don't confuse me arguing the POINT HE MADE, instead of following blind faith that "my product rules and the only reason I can tell you that is because I own one"

Unless you want exactly what the iPhone 4 provides (3.5" screen, no keyboard, stock iOS 4), you have no choice if you want an iPhone. With choice comes fragmentation.

you are picturing fragmentation as menu choices.... ie - big mag or McRib
I picture fragmentation as

app works great, flawless, does what it says - Incredible - *****

app constantly force closes - D2 - *

when you and I order the same app, it may or may not play nice between your device platform and mine. That's like all blondes get big macs made from grade A meat, and red heads get big macs made from grade D meat.

Personally, I am willing to sacrifice the 1% of apps that won't work on my phone to have that choice.

you have no more choices than I. there are no more apps specifically for the D2 than their is for the Incredible.... just the same apps that may not work on my D2 but does on yours. that's not choice, that's a crap shoot.

I have downloaded probably 100 apps on my Incredible. You know how many haven't worked? Zero. I realize there may be apps that won't work properly on every phone, but you make sacrifices no matter what phone you buy. Those of us on Android tend to prefer the many, many advantages of Android over iOS, happily living with the few shortcomings.

You own one of the upper tier devices.... I think I do too. But heaven help the low end of the generation owners, or the likes. (and I'm not going to give an example of a low end droid because people digress and focus on that part of the argument, instead of the real issue.... kind of like focusing on Jobs saying 100 when there are only 3)

Many Android apps work only on selected Android handsets, running selected Android versions. <---- from the article. To me, that means, Droid devs focus on the devices like we currently have, not the lower end

When you or I get an app, chances are, devs have focused on making it work for us. Some of the 'cheaper' versions of our generation.... may not be so lucky.

Every OS has both its good and its bad. The bottom line is, Jobs tried to make a huge issue out of one that is almost a non-issue to 99% of Android users. You trying to continually argue that Android is so fragmented and its users therefore suffer is simply false. If it makes you happy to continue making the same meritless argument, knock yourself out. You are not, however, building any credibility, as you have yet to demonstrate how this really has any measurable effect outside of a few comments in the app store that someone's device couldn't run a particular app. Like I've said, on my iPod Touch, I've had apps I couldn't run too. Uh oh.

right there just proves you don't know what the point of the article really was.

He said their was fragmentation
There is

he overexhaggerated because he's pushing his product
Droid devs would rather focus on a side issue (of the over exhaggerations) than the problem that fragmentation, no matter how minor, really is.

Upvote 0
Ya... just like some of the so called arguements on fragmenting the Andoird. Why compare an Android phone released a year ago to one today and not do the same with Apples product?

nope.... devs develop for Incredible, D2, and X. There are cheaper versions introduced at the same time that just sort of hope that the devs we get, will work on theirs

Upvote 0
I really have no idea what you're even saying half the time, but I will address a few points and then that'll be the end of it as far as discussing this further with you.

You own one of the upper tier devices.... I think I do too. But heaven help the low end of the generation owners, or the likes. (and I'm not going to give an example of a low end droid because people digress and focus on that part of the argument, instead of the real issue.... kind of like focusing on Jobs saying 100 when there are only 3)

The "low end" devices may not run every single app, but the person who bought it likely preferred that device for its form factor, price, etc. No low end device is $199. If you buy an iPhone 4, you have only one choice: $199 and 3.5" screen, no keyboard, etc. Someone who doesn't buy the high end device can't expect it to run every single piece of software made for the OS. The same thing applies with Mac OS, Windows, iOS, Android, etc. You are talking in circles here.

When you or I get an app, chances are, devs have focused on making it work for us. Some of the 'cheaper' versions of our generation.... may not be so lucky.

And if the "cheaper" phone wasn't on the market because there was only one Android phone out there, maybe this person would have NO smartphone at all and be stuck with no apps, Internet access, email, etc.

right there just proves you don't know what the point of the article really was.

The point of the article was to scare potential cellphone buyers out of purchasing an Android phone because it's "fragmented." That is absurd because 99+% of Android users can run 99+% of Android apps. Jobs neglects to point out that this is a minor issue, and it's the fragmentation that allows buyers to have a choice of phone AND carrier. Jobs tries to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It's completely over-exaggerated and it's taking a cheap shot because he realizes Android is outperforming iOS in sales.

There are several Android phones, and each one has its own appeal to consumers. Sure, the risk of a particular app here and there not working on a low end device is real, but if someone opts for a low end Android phone, it's likely because he or she couldn't afford the $199 price tag. At least the person has the option of a great smartphone, notwithstanding the few apps the phone may not be able to run properly.

He said their was fragmentation
There is

And iOS sucks at notifications. iOS doesn't have widgets. iOS doesn't let you install 3rd party apps. The iPhone is only on AT&T. Every OS has its weaknesses. Those issues are far more problematic than "fragmentation," if you ask me.

he overexhaggerated because he's pushing his product

I almost have to laugh here. You readily admit Jobs over-exaggerated, yet you keep coming to his defense. Why? What is the point of you posting over and over that Android is so fragmented it's problematic? Does it help you sleep better at night? You own an Android phone. Why don't you start supporting the OS that you use rather than try and legitimize an absurd argument made by the competition?

I'm sorry, but you are just arguing for the sake of it. You have not made any legitimate arguments other than the fact that some low end Android phones can't run every single app out there. Neither can every iPhone.

Reactions: Musky and IOWA
Upvote 0
I really have no idea what you're even saying half the time, but I will address a few points and then that'll be the end of it as far as discussing this further with you.

The "low end" devices may not run every single app, but the person who bought it likely preferred that device for its form factor, price, etc. No low end device is $199. If you buy an iPhone 4, you have only one choice: $199 and 3.5" screen, no keyboard, etc. Someone who doesn't buy the high end device can't expect it to run every single piece of software made for the OS. The same thing applies with Mac OS, Windows, iOS, Android, etc. You are talking in circles here.

And if the "cheaper" phone wasn't on the market because there was only one Android phone out there, maybe this person would have NO smartphone at all and be stuck with no apps, Internet access, email, etc.

The point of the article was to scare potential cellphone buyers out of purchasing an Android phone because it's "fragmented." That is absurd because 99+% of Android users can run 99+% of Android apps. Jobs neglects to point out that this is a minor issue, and it's the fragmentation that allows buyers to have a choice of phone AND carrier. Jobs tries to make a mountain out of a mole hill. It's completely over-exaggerated and it's taking a cheap shot because he realizes Android is outperforming iOS in sales.

There are several Android phones, and each one has its own appeal to consumers. Sure, the risk of a particular app here and there not working on a low end device is real, but if someone opts for a low end Android phone, it's likely because he or she couldn't afford the $199 price tag. At least the person has the option of a great smartphone, notwithstanding the few apps the phone may not be able to run properly.

And iOS sucks at notifications. iOS doesn't have widgets. iOS doesn't let you install 3rd party apps. The iPhone is only on AT&T. Every OS has its weaknesses. Those issues are far more problematic than "fragmentation," if you ask me.

I almost have to laugh here. You readily admit Jobs over-exaggerated, yet you keep coming to his defense. Why? What is the point of you posting over and over that Android is so fragmented it's problematic? Does it help you sleep better at night? You own an Android phone. Why don't you start supporting the OS that you use rather than try and legitimize an absurd argument made by the competition?

I'm sorry, but you are just arguing for the sake of it. You have not made any legitimate arguments other than the fact that some low end Android phones can't run every single app out there. Neither can every iPhone.

Yeah the first thing I noticed about Android is they nailed the notifications thing. It doesn't get any better.

Upvote 0
yep, notifications are an issue that Droid OS should 'rebut' with instead of agreeing in principle and focusing on the actual number of platforms. I do like Droid better from what I've seen, and as long as I stay with the upper tier of products, I'm good. I love me some widgets...

much better arguments than "we only have 3, not 100" Give Jobs credit here, he has effectively put DROID on their heels. Here we're arguing over how many different platforms, and yet, there are SO MANY MORE, much better reasons that Droid is a better choice. but did the devs mention any of that in the article? Nope.... so guess who wins the argument in convincing that fence sitter who's debating their first smartphone? That's why it's a win for Jobs

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones